To Puck Or Not to Puck, That Is The Question

to puck or not to puck…..
2 major considerations- depends on what she looks like, how many beers I’ve had
Been there my self a few times. :ganjamon:

no pucks, no rockwool either - rapid rooters or straight into seedling soil mix. I’ve done rootopsy on plants started with pucks that crashed & burned and I attributed the underdeveloped roots to the mesh membrane. Same goes for the compressed peat pots they might work better if you presoaked for week before use, imho both types restrict roots

I have always had good luck with solo cups and then transplanting from that to the final container. My wife bought a bunch of the jiffy pucks to plant the garden last year. When I first saw them I thought they like a good idea for starts. Well, not so much for me anyway.

I have some of the peat pots but, never used them. My wife thought they would work better than solo's. Even then I wouldn't think of planting it into the soil, takes years to brake down. I would rather spend less money on reusable solo's

so to answer your question - puck off dude :laugh: just kidding Morda!!!
No pucking problem! :laugh:

Whether cannabis or tomatoes, I germinate with the Jiffy's. I cut away the top and bottom mesh and the tap root is always out the day after sprout and that's when I transfer to final pot. But I grow autos and you can't shock or mess up a pucking auto. Auto Blueberry Domina Day 1from sprout and Day 30 root check.

Coming out.jpg

30 Day root Check.jpg

Do they have any nutes in them or are they like the Jiffy pucks and need a nute charge before use?
The RRs are pretreated with rooting hormones but you'd probably still want to use rooting powder / gel if you're starting clones. They tend to get slimy after a bit but they do work. Honestly, rooting directly in peat is just as good if not better.

Seems to me as long as you get the moisture right this stuff will grow in just about anything
Used pucks, rockwool, plugs, riot cubes etc - doesn't make a sod of difference
I do now use peat pellets soaked in humic acid/root juice for both seeds and clones
That's purely because they hold moisture most consistently and are easier to handle after the roots pop

Seems to me as long as you get the moisture right this stuff will grow in just about anything
I do now use peat pellets soaked in humic acid/root juice for both seeds and clones
That's purely because they hold moisture most consistently and are easier to handle after the roots pop
Root juice ?? Tell more?

Punking A, Glad to see this thread going this way. I'm so glad we can add our way of doing things, and show it is all about what works best for you!

I also use humic/fulvic acid in the form of liquid seaweed to both give the seeds a 4 hr. soak to jump start the imbibition process and to moisten the pellet during the 62 hour germination phase. It gets my grow off to a vigorous, healthy start

Germ and roots..jpg

I have said a few times that I dislike these peat puck's.

Here is a visual of why:

topuck or not topuck.jpg

The top stem is one grown in a puck, the lower is without. Notice how balled up the roots in the puck compared to how loose the roots are in the one without. The one without is more open allowing it to breath. As we all know, these plants need good Oxygen flow to grow. Yes you could cut off the membrane, but, why? What I have found is it brakes roots and just adds extra shock.

Do you use them and why/why don't you use them?

Lets get the conversation going. :D
I take off the membrane every time. As soon as I see a tap root coming out the pellet I remove the membrane and put pellet in soil and water good. No stress....

I think the membrane prohibits growth in the beginning of VEG. The result is a lower yield without removal is my experience.

I'm looking at them more for cloning. I don't want go through the trouble of cloning just to have the roots ball up. I just showed the wife that pic and she was like, Uhhhh Nope not buying those any more Puck That. :rofl:
I'll stick with the solo cup for seeds I think.

Let us know how they work for you!
Do they have any nutes in them or are they like the Jiffy pucks and need a nute charge before use?
Hey Morda!

So, as you asked, I thought I'd come back here to let you know how it went.

The seed that was placed directly into the rapid rooter (and kept moist), was the first to pop its head up. The other two seem to be moving, just a bit slower (could be due to genetic differences).

Back
Top Bottom