No more pucks

Auggie

I hate pucks. You know, the round thingies that go in a bubble cloner. I h8t them. Cleaning them is time consuming, and if you don't clean EVERY ONE of them perfectly - you can contaminate your res with all kinds of weird bugs and bacteria and end up with a ruined batch. It is actually recommended by the manufacturer that they be replaced every time. I can get three or four uses out of them before they get so funky that I can't stand it any more and I replace them. For my cloner that costs about $100. Crazy. I am just too cheap with my money and my time to deal with those fuckin pucks.

So, I use Styrofoam cups.

I mentioned this on a different thread, and some (glancing at Dutty) seemed incredulous, so I think I'll post my system. The cost is about $1.00 for the cups, and about HALF of the time it takes to hand clean each one of those puckin pucks.

A209.JPG

The 8.5 oz size works best - the base needs to be 2 inches diameter.

B169.JPG

Do a rough cut - cut it in half.

D122.JPG

Then cut in down to the center - where the injection button is.

F143.JPG

Then do a fine cut around - make it about an inch tall.

E40.JPG

So, it should look like this now.

H68.JPG

Now, fold the two edges over. Makes a little spring action.

I19.JPG

and slip it in the hole. They'll be tight.

K30.JPG

I put three in each one. Punch a hole with a clean pair of scissors. One hole at 3 o'clock, one at 12 and one at nine.
If it gets too crowded in the tray, you can do one or two rows with only two in them.

L50.JPG

And, here it is done.

When they sprout, just take the cups out and tear them apart to get the starts out.
Clean 'pucks' every time. No contamination.
No pucking pain in my ass.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom