Cloning

djwintz

Is this normal. I thought I would try cloning for the first time. I soaked some pucks and squeezed out some of the access moisture. I cut these clippings on a 45° angle, dipped them in Stim-root #1powder and placed them in the pucks. I have them in a old fish tank that I cleaned up and replaced the light with 2 CFL bulbs. I guess my questions are. #1, is this drooping normal right after? #2, and how long, if they make it, can I transplant into a pot?

IMG_20220609_130324.jpg

Looks like they need more humidity asap!
The dropping is not normal they should still look perky if the environment is right!

When you see roots you can repot them. Some let the cube fill out but since they are exposed to the light id repot them to at least solo cups or one gallon pots as soon as roots show

Awesome. Thanks for reply and the pictures, looks like yours turned out just fine. The pictures I posted are not exactly as they appear. In the picture the leaves look quite yellow, they are actually bright green it's just the light reflection from my grow tent that makes them look yellow. I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run.

Are you using Mars LED'S from Veg through to flowering,? I'm using HPS right now but really thinking about going to LED'S. What do you think and recommend for the Mars LED'S. I'm using 5x5 tent and 4 plants.
Yes, I'm a big fan of Mars Hydro. I've tried many lights including lights I paid $1200 a piece for. Mars still did the best job, so I recently started switching all my lights back to Mars. I have 3 - TSL2000's for my 4x8 tent, 1 SP3000 in my 2x4 tent & 2 TS1000's (so far) in my shed. In a 5x5 I'd use 4-5 TS1000's or an FC4800 or FC6500. I would only be using 4x4 of it for growing & the remaining room for fans, humidifier, etc. You can easily do 5 plants in 5 gal. pots in a 4x4 area.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Mars Hydro. I've tried many lights including lights I paid $1200 a piece for. Mars still did the best job, so I recently started switching all my lights back to Mars. I have 3 - TSL2000's for my 4x8 tent, 1 SP3000 in my 2x4 tent & 2 TS1000's (so far) in my shed. In a 5x5 I'd use 4-5 TS1000's or an FC4800 or FC6500. I would only be using 4x4 of it for growing & the remaining room for fans, humidifier, etc. You can easily do 5 plants in 5 gal. pots in a 4x4 area.
Could I get away with using 2 TS 1000's in my 5x5 tent or 1 of the others you mentioned / FC4800 or a FC6500?

I know that if you take a cutting, wrap it in a damp paper towel, and throw it into the refrigerator "for a few minutes," and remember it the next day, lol, it'll imitate a wet noodle - but if you cut a fresh end at an angle, stick it into a glass of water or very weak nutrient solution and place it on my kitchen window sill early in the morning, it'll be standing at attention by early afternoon... and be a rooted clone two weeks later.

Vermiculite works. A 1:blushsmile:1 mix of perlite/vermiculite/soil works. A homemade gizmo consisting of a bucket, a round Styrofoam float with some holes cut into it, and an air pump & airstones works. An overpriced commercially-available version of same works.

The key is making a good, fresh (if you're not dealing with the cutting immediately after removal from the mother) cut that has as much surface area as possible, thus the angled cut - because their ability to take in water is limited, due to lack of a root system. Also, if you use any nutrients at all (in whatever you've got the cutting in, be it water or something else such as the vermiculite/perlite/soil mix), be sure to use a minimal amount. Do nothing to interfere with the thing's water uptake. For me, that means no "dome," because I do not have a desert humidity and, therefore, do not need one. Promote rooting - not rotting. . . .

Could I get away with using 2 TS 1000's in my 5x5 tent or 1 of the others you mentioned / FC4800 or a FC6500?
A TS1000 is only good for a 2'x2' area. I use one light per plant with the TS1000's. The FC4800 & 6500 are Bar Lights & kind of expensive; but not bad compared with the price of some other lights. The 4800 is for a 4x4 & the 6500 is for a 5x5. You could even use 2 of the TSL 2000's like I use in my 4x8.

You do have a lid on the tank, right? spray the cuttings, walls and floor of the tank with water. That will give the initial humidity boost they need. Two 60wat equivalent CFL 8 inches to a foot away is plenty of light. Any spectrum works but 2000K to 3000K promotes root growth. At least 18 hours of light. Roots growing during lights out is a myth. The tap roots will emerge from the bottom of the puck first. When you see them on the plate, it is ready for transplant.

For a 5x5 grow space you can use one large light or several smaller ones. 25 ACTUAL WTS used per square foot is the general rule. I prefer using multiple 1000 series (100 actual wats) lights. You get less of a hot spot. Normally total coverage and PAR of two 1000 equals one 2000 (200 actual wats) and so on. If one plant grows tall next a short bushy one I can stagger the lights.

A TS1000 is only good for a 2'x2' area. I use one light per plant with the TS1000's. The FC4800 & 6500 are Bar Lights & kind of expensive; but not bad compared with the price of some other lights. The 4800 is for a 4x4 & the 6500 is for a 5x5. You could even use 2 of the TSL 2000's like I use in my 4x8.

You do have a lid on the tank, right? spray the cuttings, walls and floor of the tank with water. That will give the initial humidity boost they need. Two 60wat equivalent CFL 8 inches to a foot away is plenty of light. Any spectrum works but 2000K to 3000K promotes root growth. At least 18 hours of light. Roots growing during lights out is a myth. The tap roots will emerge from the bottom of the puck first. When you see them on the plate, it is ready for transplant.

For a 5x5 grow space you can use one large light or several smaller ones. 25 ACTUAL WTS used per square foot is the general rule. I prefer using multiple 1000 series (100 actual wats) lights. You get less of a hot spot. Normally total coverage and PAR of two 1000 equals one 2000 (200 actual wats) and so on. If one plant grows tall next a short bushy one I can stagger the lights.
The tank has a lid and the temperature is 78f, humidity is at 95/96%. I have the lights on 24 hrs since I started them 3 days ago. I have a Marshydro FC 6500 light for the 5x5 tent.

The tank has a lid and the temperature is 78f, humidity is at 95/96%. I have the lights on 24 hrs since I started them 3 days ago. I have a Marshydro FC 6500 light for the 5x5 tent.
I've never used a Humidity Dome or sprayed my plants. Not saying it wont help. But I find it unnecessary. I've done at least 100 clones in this bubble cloner & so far only 1 has died. Not in the cloner, but after I put it in a solo cup. I'm doing 6 clones right now & they are just in the veg tent at about 45% RH & 80F. They have the white nubs now so should see roots in the next few days.
DSCF9380.JPG
DSCF9400.JPG

Afternoon. One more question for you. I just ordered 4 -10 gallon fabric pots. I will be upping the pot sizes about 3-4 times before I get to those 10 gallon ones. Since I'm growing indoors and I'm controlling my hours of light and dark I should be able to grow the plants as big as I want before I switch them over to 12 and 12 for flowering correct? So the 10 gallon pots should be fine for the final pot size?

Afternoon. One more question for you. I just ordered 4 -10 gallon fabric pots. I will be upping the pot sizes about 3-4 times before I get to those 10 gallon ones. Since I'm growing indoors and I'm controlling my hours of light and dark I should be able to grow the plants as big as I want before I switch them over to 12 and 12 for flowering correct? So the 10 gallon pots should be fine for the final pot size?
Yes, you can use 10 gal. pots. But the Veg time will be 3-4 months to fill it out with roots. Most people stick with 7 gal. as a max size for indoors. Yes, you can veg as long as you like. If they were Reg seeds & you vegged long enough you would even see the sex while they are vegging.

Maybe I should drop down to a 5 or 7 gallon max pot then I'm thinking. It's not that I'm in a rush and I don't have the time of three or four months I'm just thinking 4 10 gallons maybe too much plant inside a 5x5 tent.

Back
Top Bottom