Cloning

I've never used a Humidity Dome or sprayed my plants. Not saying it wont help. But I find it unnecessary. I've done at least 100 clones in this bubble cloner & so far only 1 has died.
Water based cloning methods, like your bubble cloner, don't need a dome since the humidity is high. But cloning in pucks or soil often do require them.

The goal is to remove them as soon as you can so they start forming roots to access the moisture they need, but if you remove the dome and they wilt, they're telling you it's too soon.

Root nubs don't even start forming on the stem for a few days after the cut, so some form of added humidity is usually helpful. If you use a dome, leave water in the tray to evaporate or mist the inside of the dome but  not the cuttings. And, if you do have water in the tray, make sure the rooting medium is elevated above the water, not sitting in it.

The environmental conditions play a big part. It gets hot here, but there's no <20% RH. I don't blast unrooted cuttings with hot lights, nor do I stick a fan on them. Ergo, they do not transpire moisture at a greater rate than they are able to take it in via the cut on the end of the stem.

Try adjusting the content of your soil (e.g. ⅓ vermiculite ⅓ perlite, or ½ vermiculite), and burying the stem slightly deeper.

EDIT: Also, be sure not to bump your cutting because, with no roots to hold it in place, it can easily be lifted ever so slightly - which could cause a gap immediately under the bottom of its stem. (Another reason for not sticking it where a fan is blowing towards it, for at least the first few days.)

I have seen cuttings that were already wilted regain the turgor pressure in their cells after being planted this way. Actually, it's a pretty good way to be sure that I've cut the end properly... and that the cutting will live long enough to grow roots.

Check out my cloning method, link in my signature. good luck with them!

Here are the plants as of yesterday. I think they're doing pretty good compared to what the clones look like in my first picture three months ago, lol.

IMG_20220823_212339.jpg

IMG_20220823_211653.jpg

IMG_20220823_211634.jpg

IMG_20220823_211556.jpg

IMG_20220817_211526_01.jpg

Is this normal. I thought I would try cloning for the first time. I soaked some pucks and squeezed out some of the access moisture. I cut these clippings on a 45° angle, dipped them in Stim-root #1powder and placed them in the pucks. I have them in a old fish tank that I cleaned up and replaced the light with 2 CFL bulbs. I guess my questions are. #1, is this drooping normal right after? #2, and how long, if they make it, can I transplant into a pot?

IMG_20220609_130324.jpg
U will loose.a couple of those drooping is kinda normal at first jv never tried.cloning. in peat.pellets iv always used coco core .or.potting soil if they make.it.through first 4-5 days there still standing upright u can plant them after day 10-14, I believe seems right are you folor.feeding them ?

U will loose.a couple of those drooping is kinda normal at first jv never tried.cloning. in peat.pellets iv always used coco core .or.potting soil if they make.it.through first 4-5 days there still standing upright u can plant them after day 10-14, I believe seems right are you folor.feeding them ?
Hey Mountainman, check out my 100% cloning method... link in my signature.

This started a couple days ago. Can somebody tell me what's going on? Stress of some sort? Heat, lights nutrients?

IMG_20220827_194636.jpg

IMG_20220827_194618.jpg

Hey DJ,

what have high temperatures been getting up to in your tent?

what is your pot size?

is it happening on one or two plants, or all plants?

how's the watering been going? How have you been determining when to water?

7 gallon fabric pots. Temps got up to 90 or so for a day until I put the AC unit in. Now temps are steady 80 with 40% RH. I did up the nutes a little bit just before this happened. Been feeding 2 litres a day for 2 weeks now. All 4 plants have the same going on but it just seems to be the new small leafs. Only started about 5 days ago. Kind of thinking it might be the heat issue because there is no nutrient burn or anything on the leaves. Also did some trimming.

OK, thanks.

What medium are they growing in?

How tall are they now?

They are growing in a good soil mixed with 10% perlite and some Coco husk. They are 33 inches. I have them under a Mars hydro FC 6500 running now at 75% dimmer. Light is 18 inches above the canopy.

IMG_20220827_215516.jpg

OK, so 2 liters is about 1/2 gallon, and for 7 gal pots and almost 3 ft tall plants, that doesn't sound like enough water. You can imagine that the roots are filling those pots now. Good thing you have fabric pots, cuz they drain really well and the roots auto-prune away from the side of the pot.

I follow the wet/dry cycle method of watering, which is to give them a thorough watering, and then let them reach a dry point, and this can be determined by feeling the weight of the pot – I usually just lift one side of my pots to get a feel. If you wait too long, you'll see some droop.

I'm an outdoor grower, and I use about 2 gallons (incl. nutes) on my 5 or 6 gal pots. Then I let them dry out, repeat. For my 15 gal pots, I use 4 or 5 gallons (incl. nutes). Following the wet/dry cycle method, I end up watering more often as the plants get bigger, which is normal because they are consuming more water and nutes.

Regarding runoff in an indoor grow, I'm going to call in some other experts... @Azimuth @Bill284 @bluter @InTheShed @HappyHazmat88 :ciao:

happy growing! 🪴

Temps got up to 90 or so for a day until I put the AC unit in.
just curious... what brand/model AC is that? I bought one recently for the drying room that I'm planning to build.

I fed them a couple hours ago but I think I'll give them another litre now before I head to bed. As for the run off I was always worried about giving them to much water. The air conditioner is 5500btu.

IMG_20220827_223545.jpg

Regarding runoff in an indoor grow, I'm going to call in some other experts... @Azimuth @Bill284 @bluter @InTheShed @HappyHazmat88 :ciao:
Without reading the whole thread, has it gone from cloning to watering?

I use 7 gallon pots and give my plants 1.5 gallons when I water, because runoff is important with synthetic nutes. Not so much on an organic grow.

Does that help?

The air conditioner is 5500btu.
thanks. Looks like the "For Living" sold in Canada is the same as Midea sold in the U.S. I searched high and low on Amazon, and none would ship to Hawaii but one, which is the one I bought. Mine is 8000 BTU, which is the same as yours... 8,000 BTU ASHRAE = 5,300 BTU SACC.

I use 7 gallon pots and give my plants 1.5 gallons when I water, because runoff is important with synthetic nutes. Not so much on an organic grow.
how do you manage the runoff in a tent? (I'm outdoor... never think about it.)

Back
Top Bottom