Cloning

There are two goals to the drying/purpose. The first is for the chlorophyll to burn off, which takes exposure to air. The second is to get the buds down close to 62% RH. A hygrometer (or more) is incredibly helpful here.

This is my drying/burping/curing process:
I give my harvests air for the first 21 days after chop. Ideally that's 7 days hanging, 7 days of twice daily burping, and 7 days of once daily burping, though if they come off the lines early the entire process remains 21 days. Then I seal them for curing with Boveda 62s for at least another 3 weeks before anyone gets a taste!

They come off the lines when the stems snap internally but don't break when you bend them.

Keep in mind that the burping process is not just to get the flowers down to 62% from wherever the RH was when they came off the stems, though I've seen a lot of folks do that. The 21 days is important to allow the chlorophyll to outgas after harvest. In a dry area the flowers might get down to 62% in a week, and if you seal them at that point there won't be any more fresh air getting in, making the cure much less successful.

Incorrect drying/burping/curing is often why folks think their buds are harsh when they smoke them, and blame "leftover nutes in the flowers at harvest" for that. Turns out they're just messing up the last step.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. :thumb:

There are two goals to the drying/purpose. The first is for the chlorophyll to burn off, which takes exposure to air. The second is to get the buds down close to 62% RH. A hygrometer (or more) is incredibly helpful here.

This is my drying/burping/curing process:

Let me know if you have any questions about it. :thumb:
This is great information. I'm going to have quite a bit of buds. Can I use large gallon glass jars as long as they have a good seal or should I use a bunch of the 1 quart jars as seen in the picture? How long do you leave the lid off when you burp? And lastly, can I put the Bolivia packs in the jars at the very beginning of the curing? Sorry for all the questions, but I would hate to mess up months of work. Again, thank you very much.

IMG_20221021_220940.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, but I would hate to mess up months of work.
No worries! All good questions and now is the time to ask them...
Can I use large gallon glass jars as long as they have a good seal?
Absolutely! I use turkey roasting bags for the burping process because they hold a lot more than bud than my jars. They also provide a lot more bud-to-air contact than an open jar.
How long do you leave the lid off when you burp?
That really depends on the difference between the air in the bag/jar and the outside air. If the air is 40% RH you can't burp as long as you could at 60%.
And lastly, can I put the Bolivia packs in the jars at the very beginning of the curing?
Just to be clear, drying and burping is a different process from curing. Curing is when you seal up the bud in jars for weeks or months while the microbes chew through the plant sugar and remaining chlorophyll to make for a smooth and tasty smoke.

Boveda packs go in for the cure when the flower should already be very close to 62% when you seal them for the cure. They are there as a security blanket and aren't designed to move the needle far in a closed jar.

No worries! All good questions and now is the time to ask them...

Absolutely! I use turkey roasting bags for the burping process because they hold a lot more than bud than my jars. They also provide a lot more bud-to-air contact than an open jar.

That really depends on the difference between the air in the bag/jar and the outside air. If the air is 40% RH you can't burp as long as you could at 60%.

Just to be clear, drying and burping is a different process from curing. Curing is when you seal up the bud in jars for weeks or months while the microbes chew through the plant sugar and remaining chlorophyll to make for a smooth and tasty smoke.

Boveda packs go in for the cure when the flower should already be very close to 62% when you seal them for the cure. They are there as a security blanket and aren't designed to move the needle far in a closed jar.
I see now. Hang drying and burping for 7-7-7= the 21days. Then curing after that in sealed jars without burping for say 3 weeks. Is this correct?

All is good here Bill. Hope all is well in your world. Just got to make sure I get through the drying and curing process now without messing anything up. Fingers crossed.
Have you got your process worked out?
If you need any advise feel free to ask asap.
Don't want anything to go wrong with all that great bud.
Take care my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Have you got your process worked out?
If you need any advise feel free to ask asap.
Don't want anything to go wrong with all that great bud.
Take care my friend.

Stay safe
I think so Bill. I'm going to follow the advice from "In the Shed" he gave me. I'm not to worried about the drying process. It's when I put the buds into the jars is what's got me worried. Really easy to get mold in the jars I'm thinking. I'm sure I'll be reaching out for some more advice when I get to that stage. Thanks again for your time and help.

I think so Bill. I'm going to follow the advice from "In the Shed" he gave me. I'm not to worried about the drying process. It's when I put the buds into the jars is what's got me worried. Really easy to get mold in the jars I'm thinking. I'm sure I'll be reaching out for some more advice when I get to that stage. Thanks again for your time and help.
I'm glad Shed has got you sorted out.
He is a godsend around here.
The problem I think occurs most often is overdrying before jarring.
Over dry buds will not cure.
So if anything putting them in a day early is better than a day late if your having a hard time deciding.
If they are a little damp in the jar an hour on a tray and back into the jar will help prevent mold.
Do you have hygrometers?
Oh one more thing your drying area 60 f & 60 rh , dark with just minimal air flow?

Stay safe

I'm glad Shed has got you sorted out.
He is a godsend around here.
The problem I think occurs most often is overdrying before jarring.
Over dry buds will not cure.
So if anything putting them in a day early is better than a day late if your having a hard time deciding.
If they are a little damp in the jar an hour on a tray and back into the jar will help prevent mold.
Do you have hygrometers?
Oh one more thing your drying area 60 f & 60 rh , dark with just minimal air flow?

Stay safe
Hey Bill. I have 1 hydrometer that hangs in the tent throughout the grow. Or are you referring to the little individual ones to put inside each jar?

Hey Bill. I have 1 hydrometer that hangs in the tent throughout the grow. Or are you referring to the little individual ones to put inside each jar?
Yes you will need them in your drying area.
And some for in the jars. :thumb:

Stay safe

I've been reading reviews about the smaller ones and seems to be hit and miss as to working correctly. Which do you recommend?
It's the nature of of those little things.
It'll give you an idea though of the rh in the jar.
You can feel them and tell if the hygrometer is close.
If you have one that's far from the others could be defective.
But I haven't found any that are more accurate.
Unless you buy individual expensive ones, but not necessarily.

Stay safe

It's the nature of of those little things.
It'll give you an idea though of the rh in the jar.
You can feel them and tell if the hygrometer is close.
If you have one that's far from the others could be defective.
But I haven't found any that are more accurate.
Unless you buy individual expensive ones, but not necessarily.

Stay safe
Do they have an adjustment knob on them?

The dial kind? I haven't seen anyone with one of those hygrometers since Sue left!
Mine is digital. Has a probe for the oven. The adjustment screw is down a small tube and you'd never know it was there save for poking around it with a screwdriver. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom