To Puck Or Not to Puck, That Is The Question

Morda Grown

I have said a few times that I dislike these peat puck's.

Here is a visual of why:

topuck or not topuck.jpg

The top stem is one grown in a puck, the lower is without. Notice how balled up the roots in the puck compared to how loose the roots are in the one without. The one without is more open allowing it to breath. As we all know, these plants need good Oxygen flow to grow. Yes you could cut off the membrane, but, why? What I have found is it brakes roots and just adds extra shock.

Do you use them and why/why don't you use them?

Lets get the conversation going. :D

:rofl:

Ahhh they don't have that fabric around them.... Very cool. Can they be used for soil grows?
As far as I know they can be used for soil. It's a sponge like material, works great. Its the best thing for starting seeds I've come across.

As far as I know they can be used for soil. It's a sponge like material, works great. Its the best thing for starting seeds I've come across.
I'll have to give them a try. These Jiffy pucks are just not worth it IMO.

I'll have to give them a try. These Jiffy pucks are just not worth it IMO.
I've heard lots of complaints similar to what you were saying, which is why I never tried them. The worst I've heard so far about the rapid rooters are they're a bit more pricey.
I put a seed directly into one last night without soaking the seed prior (the rapid rooter got a soak first). Figured I'd give that a go, if it works...that's one less step I can screw up.

I've heard lots of complaints similar to what you were saying, which is why I never tried them. The worst I've heard so far about the rapid rooters are they're a bit more pricey.
I put a seed directly into one last night without soaking the seed prior (the rapid rooter got a soak first). Figured I'd give that a go, if it works...that's one less step I can screw up.
I'm looking at them more for cloning. I don't want go through the trouble of cloning just to have the roots ball up. I just showed the wife that pic and she was like, Uhhhh Nope not buying those any more Puck That. :rofl:
I'll stick with the solo cup for seeds I think.

Let us know how they work for you!
Do they have any nutes in them or are they like the Jiffy pucks and need a nute charge before use?

I've pulled the netting off once I see a little root but yeah not worth it.
I wanted one that I had pulled the netting off. Unfortunately they all died during the frost freeze this spring. This all started with me wanting to show my wife how these balled roots grow. As time went on and I became a member I saw quite a few people using them, hence this post.

Neither of those look good, those tiny little roots are from full grown plants that have been harvested?

Root system should be massively larger than that.

I left 97% of roots in my pot, this is at best 3% of my root system

20200903_145024.jpg
No Both plants were male and culled. The one without the puck is 3 months old the one with the puck was 4 months old.

Edit: There were more roots in the 5 gal bucket the one without the puck was in. I pulled up the dirt and all out of the bucket. I did not want to loose the soil so I dug and ripped it out. The one with the puck was in a raised bed with admittedly poor soil, the roots were long and stringy. That one root you see in my pic going out side the image was from the pucked roots.

I will add too that I do need to work on my root growth skills. Starting in the pucks is definitely not helping with that.

Are you pealing the mesh net off the peat puck before you transplant?
I did for few this year but as I said they died from frost/freeze. When I did take off the mesh it did damage young roots. That just adds to the transplant shock

Lots of issues with jiffy pucks. Sometimes they come with bugs. Get some Rockwood cubes and call it a day.

I have heard rockwool is not good for soil grows. Do you use them in soil?

I did for few this year but as I said they died from frost/freeze. When I did take off the mesh it did damage young roots. That just adds to the transplant shock

I have heard rockwool is not good for soil grows. Do you use them in soil?
Yeah, it's pretty common. Just try make sure the rockwool is buried in the soil when you transplant to avoid mold.
Also make sure your soil mix is as wet as the rockwool when you transplant.

Don't forget that rockwool has a high pH and needs to be soaked to bring it into range.

I like jiffy pucks for seeds , it easy ... once the plant has sprouted remove mesh and transplant immediately, is what I read 90 % the roots will not be tangled in the mesh because they are not large enough ,,,, I had one out of four where the taproot made it outside and it got a tug hahhaa hopefully she makes it ,,,, but the jiffy I think works awesome for germinating , it's easy just stuff seed in and wait ,,,,, but I prefer rapid root plugs for clones
20210806_161551.jpg
20210805_171841.jpg
20210805_163416.jpg
20210805_163238.jpg
20210806_161604.jpg

to puck or not to puck…..
2 major considerations- depends on what she looks like, how many beers I’ve had

no pucks, no rockwool either - rapid rooters or straight into seedling soil mix. I’ve done rootopsy on plants started with pucks that crashed & burned and I attributed the underdeveloped roots to the mesh membrane. Same goes for the compressed peat pots they might work better if you presoaked for week before use, imho both types restrict roots

so to answer your question - puck off dude :laugh: just kidding Morda!!!

to puck or not to puck…..
2 major considerations- depends on what she looks like, how many beers I’ve had

no pucks, no rockwool either - rapid rooters or straight into seedling soil mix. I’ve done rootopsy on plants started with pucks that crashed & burned and I attributed the underdeveloped roots to the mesh membrane. Same goes for the compressed peat pots they might work better if you presoaked for week before use, imho both types restrict roots

so to answer your question - puck off dude :laugh: just kidding Morda!!!
Haha I just let the jiffy pucks sit in water for 5 min then push the seed in , and a week later I got a mini plant, the rapid root you have to make sure it stays wet , and rock wool is just a pain in the ass to me , I've tried it all

Back
Top Bottom