Too much? LED and HPS setups

quick possible change of plans due to looking at my kwH. For flower should I still use 3 P600s if I switch to 2 600W HPS opposed to 1000W. And for veg, should I still go with 2 p450s and a 600W HPS or... 3 p450s? 2 p600s? etc etc. Thanks. trying to save kwH

Aloha!

If switching down to 600w HPS from the 1000w, you could step up to the P900s if your budget would allow. Being as that they're roughly equal to 1000w worth of HPS each, you would be absolutely killing it.

:cheer:

Hello!

.. but remember that you only get one chance to do it right! You're already going to be generating a good amount of heat with those twin 1000s even though they're air cooled. Adding in a cheap 5w LED light or two will only continue to raise your temps without increasing the efficiency that you're looking for. Those things run hot.. very hot.. and put out a fraction of the PAR value with double the power usage of other lights.

We could recommend a couple of different setups according to your budget and layout:

FLOWERING-

5x10 - With a 5x10, you could use either 1 or 3 of our P600 lights which are 36" x 9" with 200x3w LEDs running a complete 11 band spectrum including IR and UV. They retail for $659 with free shipping.. and with a 5% forum code you're down to $626 a panel.. and we even offer an additional 5% multiple light discount for 2-4 units. This would bring you all the way down to $593/panel.. and roughly double the PAR output of a Mars 1200.. with half the power consumption.. fraction of the heat.. and 5 year warranty.

:peace:

That is a quite a lot of bashing, specially when you use same components. Your 3W LED's running at 1.89W which is apr 63.4% and their 5W led's run at 2.2W which is apr 44% capacity. And yours run cooler, faster, it'll run forever and on top of all that 5 year warranty!

Really??

I'm considering 2 x £1200 light (BM), 20 gallon oxy system, dehumidifier and all the rest of it for 32 square foot area. No, money isn't an issue, just quality

I'm considering 2 x £1200 light (BM), 20 gallon oxy system, dehumidifier and all the rest of it for 32 square foot area. No, money isn't an issue, just quality

Very nice! We have nothing but respect for the BM guys as they're making some very nice lights indeed. Very cool to see the envelope of indoor horticulture performance with LEDs being pushed and evolving because of it! We're all in this together.

:Namaste:

Very nice! We have nothing but respect for the BM guys as they're making some very nice lights indeed. Very cool to see the envelope of indoor horticulture performance with LEDs being pushed and evolving because of it! We're all in this together.

:Namaste:

People that ask questions like: "could I pull a pound a plant with £30 Ufo?" for obvious reasons end up regretting their purchase. I do not believe in "buyers regret" nonsense; basically you made wrong/uneducated decision and looking for somebody to blame! I'm going to study lights for as long as it takes before I spend my money. I'm 100% sure there will be no regrets! Whether I'm going to be happy with results or not will come down to other factors. I do have some hps experience but I'm willing to forget all that and learn from guys that really know what they doing. If one isn't completely ignorant to learning this website has so much information that with right equipment pulling pound a plant ISN'T a pipe dream, been done and can be repeated. I'm going for 6 pot oxy system, full hydro. Anything over a pound I would consider been success, secretly hopping for 2. I'm willing to push £4k out of my bank acc for first run; will it work? No doubt!

Absolutely! We just witnessed Curso pull 1.75 pounds from one plant using our 2 x P450 lights in a 4x4 tent. Keep in mind that the total wattage draw was only 550-ish watts! Totally do-able.

..and yes.. this site is an incredible resource for the community and especially when we all work together to help advance the technology. It's really amazing how far we've come in such a relatively short time with LED technology. Much does depend on purchasing the right equipment for the job, though.. and this is why we are so adamant about choosing your lighting so carefully. It's not about bashing anyone or any thing.. it's just a compare and contrast that if you use a lighting source that isn't putting out as complete of a spectrum or as high of a PAR value for the watts consumed, your grow is going to suffer.. and end up costing you more money that you ever saved with those cheaper lights. Whether you go with our lights or another premium brand.. it just pays to do the job right the first time.

We honestly.. and from the heart.. want everyone to succeed in everything that they do.. make beautiful, beautiful flowers.. and be good to each other while doing it. However we can help people succeed whether by words or by lights, we'll take it.

Absolutely! We just witnessed Curso pull 1.75 pounds from one plant using our 2 x P450 lights in a 4x4 tent. Keep in mind that the total wattage draw was only 550-ish watts! Totally do-able.

..and yes.. this site is an incredible resource for the community and especially when we all work together to help advance the technology. It's really amazing how far we've come in such a relatively short time with LED technology. Much does depend on purchasing the right equipment for the job, though.. and this is why we are so adamant about choosing your lighting so carefully. It's not about bashing anyone or any thing.. it's just a compare and contrast that if you use a lighting source that isn't putting out as complete of a spectrum or as high of a PAR value for the watts consumed, your grow is going to suffer.. and end up costing you more money that you ever saved with those cheaper lights. Whether you go with our lights or another premium brand.. it just pays to do the job right the first time.

We honestly.. and from the heart.. want everyone to succeed in everything that they do.. make beautiful, beautiful flowers.. and be good to each other while doing it. However we can help people succeed whether by words or by lights, we'll take it.

I'm sure not one to take things for granted but you got my attention, for sure. I collect all info together and take it from there. BM has pretty much everything covered on their website, I guess now it's your turn.

As for 1.75 pound result, out-landish!! I have to go for bigger lights as I can't take a risk on just 2 plants. Safety in numbers kinda thing

I'm sure not one to take things for granted but you got my attention, for sure. I collect all info together and take it from there. BM has pretty much everything covered on their website, I guess now it's your turn.

As for 1.75 pound result, out-landish!! I have to go for bigger lights as I can't take a risk on just 2 plants. Safety in numbers kinda thing

Skip right to the harvest page! LED and High Brix

FWIW, we do have some big models as well. Our P1200 running 400x3w diodes and measuring 36" x 19" is an absolute beast of a unit and one of the most if not the most powerful LED grow lights on the market..

P1200 – Platinum LED

I bought a P450 based on a lot of research, and reading Curso's thread. a few day later I bought a P300 :peace:

as soon as I think of a reason to buy another LED unit, it will be from Platinum

check out my journal for the results :Namaste:

Skip right to the harvest page! LED and High Brix

FWIW, we do have some big models as well. Our P1200 running 400x3w diodes and measuring 36" x 19" is an absolute beast of a unit and one of the most if not the most powerful LED grow lights on the market..

P1200 :: Platinum Grow Lights

I've narrowed it down to 3 combinations; 2 x bm's 1200, 2 x P1200 and 3 x P900. Price vise Platinum options come 15% cheaper, really depends on price and tax. P1200; lot of power but too concentrated, least coverage of 3. 3 x P900 better coverage in bloom than 2 x BM. Slightly less in veg but only reason for that is that bm runs all the time on full power/spectrum. I'm still studying them all, like I said: you got my attention.

Overkill for 32 s/f?

model ........... real draw v/f ................. real draw w p/f

3 x p900 .......... 279-557 (878-1671)................. 26.15 - 52.21

2 x p1200 ..........379-758 (758-1516)................ 23.68 - 47.37

2 x xg1200.......... 740 (1480) ........................ 46.25 - 46.25

Does that make sense?

PS As much as I'm aware 22w per s/f in veg and 35w per s/f in flower is the minimum?

PS As much as I'm aware 22w per s/f in veg and 35w per s/f in flower is the minimum?

Again though.. you cannot equate watts consumed to growing power or output intensity with LED grow lights. You can have two units that consume the same amount of power an one can be twice as intense as the other. You need to look at the actual unit and what the PAR values and spectral complexity is.

When you're planning out your grow space with LEDs, it's better to look at your actual room dimensions rather than square footage area. This will allow you to layout the lights according to the space they need to cover.

What are the dimensions of your grow space so we can better help?

Again though.. you cannot equate watts consumed to growing power or output intensity with LED grow lights. You can have two units that consume the same amount of power an one can be twice as intense as the other. You need to look at the actual unit and what the PAR values and spectral complexity is.

When you're planning out your grow space with LEDs, it's better to look at your actual room dimensions rather than square footage area. This will allow you to layout the lights according to the space they need to cover.

What are the dimensions of your grow space so we can better help?

Dimensions are 8'x4'x6.5', 6 pot oxy system

Dimensions are 8'x4'x6.5', 6 pot oxy system

Gotcha.. a 4x8.

For a 4x8, there are of course more than a few choices all depending on your budget and how you're planning on laying out your grow. Since you're doing 6 plants in what I'm sure is a 2 x 3 grid, the best option would be to run 3 lights directly over each little row of 2. The P900s would be a great bet and deliver stellar performance, yes. The only thing better than this would be 3 x P1200s.

Do keep in mind that we offer an additional 5% discount on top of the 5% forum discount to make it 10% off for 3-5 lights.. and an additional 10% off for 6+ lights which would make it a total of 15% off. 3 x P900s would be $2427 delivered to your door with free shipping.

Easy 6lbs+ per cycle and more if done correctly.. :high-five:

Gotcha.. a 4x8.

For a 4x8, there are of course more than a few choices all depending on your budget and how you're planning on laying out your grow. Since you're doing 6 plants in what I'm sure is a 2 x 3 grid, the best option would be to run 3 lights directly over each little row of 2. The P900s would be a great bet and deliver stellar performance, yes. The only thing better than this would be 3 x P1200s.

Do keep in mind that we offer an additional 5% discount on top of the 5% forum discount to make it 10% off for 3-5 lights.. and an additional 10% off for 6+ lights which would make it a total of 15% off. 3 x P900s would be $2427 delivered to your door with free shipping.

Easy 6lbs+ per cycle and more if done correctly.. :high-five:

I figured something like that i.e $2427 which is about £1600 + tax at 20%, close to 2k. I'm a firm believer that you CANNOT do jobs properly without right tools. In my view 3 x P900 instead of 3 x P1200, considering difference in price and wattage draw isn't cutting corners. P900 over 2 plants should be sufficient which ever way you look at it.

You spot on; it will be 2 x 3 grid, 2 or 3 lights, dehumidifier, seeds from reputable seed bank (most likely dutch), full hydro, top or fim, most likely flux. I would aim to reach 2.5' to 3' in height in veg, probably 5 months then flip. That's what's decided (on paper) so far. For me, bottom line is spend a money, do it right. I have no doubts about result!

PS FWIW, I'm drawn to P900 option more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom