Too much or too little food?

Jame9111

Does this look like I gave it too much or too little food need a little bit of help here.

Just started feeding the ladies general hy. Flora series and I've been getting thin Blades pH is at 6.2 using Sunshine mix run off comes out at 5.9

With the floor series I'm using right now 12.5 .ml of armor.
Cal mag 10 mL.
For a micro 19 ml
For grow 28.5 ml
Flora bloom 14 ml
Floralicious plus 5 ml.
No rapid start ran out. Avoid that 5 ml.
Tap water PPM 100.
Just got done transplanting 4 days ago thank you for your time and advice.

16613733436587186921089430271878.jpg

IMG_20220823_192502_248.jpg

The dealio with runoff….

A plant problem arises so the grower checks runoff ph. Then based on runoff numbers they start jacking with input ph numbers to get a higher/lower number in the runoff. Pretty soon the plant hits the ditch…

Runoff contains chemical salts plus any fine sediment particles that comes out in the wash, so by default - runoff is an inaccurate number. The number that counts is the ph # right before you feed your chicks.

They look pretty good overall maybe a tad puffy or a bit of twist but it takes time after transplanting for roots to hook up with the new soil.

I could definitely be wrong here but I think Sunshine #4 is a soilless mix. If it’s soilless mix then ph should be lowered to 5.8…. However I’m going to ask @InTheShed to confirm on Sunshine mix if he will be so kind….

Anywho… my 2 cents but you should wait for a few more replies

The dealio with runoff….

A plant problem arises so the grower checks runoff ph. Then based on runoff numbers they start jacking with input ph numbers to get a higher/lower number in the runoff. Pretty soon the plant hits the ditch…

Runoff contains chemical salts plus any fine sediment particles that comes out in the wash, so by default - runoff is an inaccurate number. The number that counts is the ph # right before you feed your chicks.

They look pretty good overall maybe a tad puffy or a bit of twist but it takes time after transplanting for roots to hook up with the new soil.

I could definitely be wrong here but I think Sunshine #4 is a soilless mix. If it’s soilless mix then ph should be lowered to 5.8…. However I’m going to ask @InTheShed to confirm on Sunshine mix if he will be so kind….

I never gave food when I checked the bail of sunshine I just threw a handful half cup and threw in half cup give or take of water at 100 PPM it came out at 400 ppm without food I just flushed it with clean water 1 gallon this time for every 7 gallon pot pH that's 6.0 didn't check to run off and never came out I don't think the roots are built establishment drowned them yet

The dealio with runoff….

When I gave it straight water it seemed to like it at 6.0 pH like I said I never checked the runoff but last time I test it with just plain water with a fresh bail it always comes out at 5.9 maybe six even when I did a pH test at 6.0 it came out at 5.96.0

However I’m going to ask @InTheShed to confirm on Sunshine mix if he will be so kind
Thanks for the tag 013! Testing runoff pH isn't a thing in soil or peat-based mixes (like Sunshine Mix) unless you are doing a pour-through test to see if the medium pH has drifted out of range.

Those instructions are here:
1. water containers to saturation (so that a few drops of water come out of the
bottom of the container) with the normal irrigation water they have been receiving
2. after container has drained for one hour, place a saucer under the container
3. pour enough distilled water on the surface of the container to get 50 mL (1.5
fluid ounces) of leachate to come out of the bottom of the container
4. collect leachate for pH testing
5. calibrate pH meter
6. measure pH of samples

When I gave it straight water it seemed to like it at 6.0 pH like I said I never checked the runoff but last time I test it with just plain water with a fresh bail it always comes out at 5.9 maybe six even when I did a pH test at 6.0 it came out at 5.96.0
Cool, cool, cool…. Not here to assign blame - just working towards resolution!!

might be overwater then… gravity works and all that jazz so when top inch or two is dry - the bottom is still wet. When weI say overwater… what is meant is not waiting long enough for soil to dry out down to bottom of container before adding more. It’s bitten most of us in a a$$ multiple times.

Best thing for now might be…. bamboo kitchen skewers. Take 1 and from outside edge of container press it into the soil but aim for the bottom center of the container. You want skewer to be in middle under rootball. Very important… to be effective the skewer must hit bottom…. Leave skewer in place for 30 mins to 1 hour, then pull it out and read the dipstick. There will be a line of demarcation on the skewer indicating the water level in container. It’s darker in color where it’s wet and you can feel the moisture on the stick.

I’m just 1 dude & there’s plenty of amazing growers way above my skill level here but suggest you wait for more replies from the crew.

thanks to InTheShed…who has a plethora of resources!!!

Thanks for the tag 013! Testing runoff pH isn't a thing in soil or peat-based mixes (like Sunshine Mix) unless you are doing a pour-through test to see if the medium pH has drifted out of range.

bottom of the container) with the normal irrigation water they have been receiving
3. pour enough distilled water on the surface of the container to get 50 mL (1.5
5. calibrate pH meter
6. measure pH of samples
Okay when it comes to watering when something comes out the bottom like you're explaining my plans won't take that I mean 7 gallons my plants are big enough and well established they should take it but I don't understand why they don't and I'm talking plain water pH , when I feed only like honestly I just basically fix my problem half hour give or take to go all I did was throw a gallon of water in each plant 6.0 and things started perking up and not canoeing down like it's over fed or winburn looking-wise and I'm getting a red veins throughout the fingers of my leaves not on the underneath a little bit in the stock so that indicates to me over fertilizing but I only thought it once I don't understand it and that's why I questioned about sunshine mix

Okay when it comes to watering when something comes out the bottom like you're explaining my plans won't take that I mean 7 gallons my plants are big enough and well established they should take it but I don't understand why they don't and I'm talking plain water pH , when I feed only like honestly I just basically fix my problem half hour give or take to go all I did was throw a gallon of water in each plant 6.0 and things started perking up and not canoeing down like it's over fed or winburn looking-wise and I'm getting a red veins throughout the fingers of my leaves not on the underneath a little bit in the stock so that indicates to me over fertilizing but I only thought it once I don't understand it and that's why I questioned about sunshine mix
You're well spoken I like that I really believe I need to stick at a certain pH and not Chase the drift what do you suggest me to stick at using Sunshine mix in a 7 gallon used in general hydroponics floor series almost full line

I never pH adjust my nutrients in soil or peat (Sunshine/ProMix) because it's not necessary. That said, many folks think it is and so they do the adjusting with every watering. No harm to do it, but it adds time and products.

Your plants look good to me, though they might be a bit small yet for the size of the pots they're in. Best thing to do now is to make sure your medium is not saturated since the roots haven't grown into the new mix yet. I would just give them about the same amount I was using in the old pots but make sure to water no more than 2" beyond the diameter of the original rootball.

Over the course of a couple of weeks the roots will begin to fill the new pots and you can give them more and more water.

In terms of your nutes, that's not a line that I have experience with so I would stick to the manufacturer's feed chart.

Cool, cool, cool…. Not here to assign blame - just working towards resolution!!

might be overwater then… gravity works and all that jazz so when top inch or two is dry - the bottom is still wet. When weI say overwater… what is meant is not waiting long enough for soil to dry out down to bottom of container before adding more. It’s bitten most of us in a a$$ multiple times.

Best thing for now might be…. bamboo kitchen skewers. Take 1 and from outside edge of container press it into the soil but aim for the bottom center of the container. You want skewer to be in middle under rootball. Very important… to be effective the skewer must hit bottom…. Leave skewer in place for 30 mins to 1 hour, then pull it out and read the dipstick. There will be a line of demarcation on the skewer indicating the water level in container. It’s darker in color where it’s wet and you can feel the moisture on the stick.

I’m just 1 dude & there’s plenty of amazing growers way above my skill level here but suggest you wait for more replies from the crew.

thanks to InTheShed…who has a plethora of resources!!!
It's not over watered if anything it's just adapting but they were so beautiful not even 2 weeks ago until I transplanted them into the sunshine s*** ......... I thought it was like pro mix HP at least either or I could be just too rushy I don't think it's over watered that's for sure but I am going to take one to the toilet soon just to check it's undercarriage but I believe nothing is under 5.9 medium wise maybe it's under fed I need to check the runoff ppms is what I got to do with feed

Your plants look great and no signs that they are underfed. They look pretty much like the feed schedule you are using is spot on at this point. And the fingers on the leaves look good too and are certainly not thin.

when I checked the bail of sunshine I just threw a handful half cup and threw in half cup give or take of water at 100 PPM it came out at 400 ppm without food
It will be about impossible to get a correct reading if you are throwing about a handful of one thing and a half cup give or take of another. Otherwise there is a near 100% chance you will get a different number each and every time and this is before you add any fertilizers.

Use distilled water like @InTheShed mentions in msg #5 if you want to continue looking for the pH number of the runoff. I am guessing that the normal distilled water found in many supermarkets will do. Not spring water or tap water or clean rain water. Don't know about using RO water.

As mentioned, they are nice looking plants so whatever is going on so far would seem to be working.

I never pH adjust my nutrients in soil or peat (Sunshine/ProMix) because it's not necessary. That said, many folks think it is and so they do the adjusting with every watering. No harm to do it, but it adds time and products.

Your plants look good to me, though they might be a bit small yet for the size of the pots they're in. Best thing to do now is to make sure your medium is not saturated since the roots haven't grown into the new mix yet. I would just give them about the same amount I was using in the old pots but make sure to water no more than 2" beyond the diameter of the original rootball.

Over the course of a couple of weeks the roots will begin to fill the new pots and you can give them more and more water.

In terms of your nutes, that's not a line that I have experience with so I would stick to the manufacturer's feed chart.

5. calibrate pH meter
6. measure pH of samples
Yeah that's a lot more professional way of testing from the way I was doing it I'll try it that way next time I've never used to still water when testing I've always been told to maybe I will go to Walmart today and grab a couple four liters of distill

Please don't bother with a pour through pH test of your Sunshine Mix! First off, the plant shows no signs of being in a medium with a pH issue, and second it requires first saturating the pot with your standard nute mix, which I still recommend you don't do yet.

I only brought up the pour through method of pH testing in response to 013's post about when runoff might be worth testing. It doesn't apply to you here.

Does this look like I gave it too much or too little food need a little bit of help here.

Just started feeding the ladies general hy. Flora series and I've been getting thin Blades pH is at 6.2 using Sunshine mix run off comes out at 5.9

With the floor series I'm using right now 12.5 .ml of armor.
Cal mag 10 mL.
For a micro 19 ml
For grow 28.5 ml
Flora bloom 14 ml
Floralicious plus 5 ml.
No rapid start ran out. Avoid that 5 ml.
Tap water PPM 100.
Just got done transplanting 4 days ago thank you for your time and advice.

16613733436587186921089430271878.jpg

IMG_20220823_192502_248.jpg
Those look great man what strain I use flora grow its pretty good stuff.

Please don't bother with a pour through pH test of your Sunshine Mix! First off, the plant shows no signs of being in a medium with a pH issue, and second it requires first saturating the pot with your standard nute mix, which I still recommend you don't do yet.

I only brought up the pour through method of pH testing in response to 013's post about when runoff might be worth testing. It doesn't apply to you here.
Those look great man what strain I use flora grow its pretty good stuff.
Right now I'm running a few planet of the grapes autos a few bloodshot alien autos a few mango Kush photo.s a few atomic mass AK-47 x critical mass. And a few planet of the grape photos.

Right now I'm running a few planet of the grapes autos a few bloodshot alien autos a few mango Kush photo.s a few atomic mass AK-47 x critical mass. And a few planet of the grape photos.
Awesome man those are some newer strains I haven't heard of bloodshot alein the grape photo ur running what lenage is she full indica or hybrid sativa mix.

Back
Top Bottom