Top layering with Hydroton - Help

Crianza

[FONT=&amp]I was wondering if anyone has used Hydroton as the top layer of plants that are in soil. Not mixed into the soil but just used as the top layer. Are there any negatives to using it. I don't have any issues I just like the way it looks and mainly just want it for decorative purposes. Would be an added bonus if it keeps the soil from drying out as fast also
[/FONT]
:nomo:[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Funny you should mention it, I was just looking at a video by the venerable Jorge Cervantes in which he places hydroton on the surface of a freshly potted plant. I think he said it was "to keep leaves off the soil," which sounded kind of... dunno.

Personally I don't think H'ton would be a big help in preventing moisture loss since it's so air permeable and wicks moisture so well, but it does look nice. No reason not to use it if you like it! :)

Funny you should mention it, I was just looking at a video by the venerable Jorge Cervantes in which he places hydroton on the surface of a freshly potted plant. I think he said it was "to keep leaves off the soil," which sounded kind of... dunno.

Personally I don't think H'ton would be a big help in preventing moisture loss since it's so air permeable and wicks moisture so well, but it does look nice. No reason not to use it if you like it! :)

Yea that's pretty much what I was thinking. After all these unanswered questions I just learned I'm going to just experiment on my own and see what happens.. Appreciate the response

Back
Top Bottom