Topping question

biomass is how we calculate yields. Its not just for cannabis.

Now cannabis has its own weights and measures now?

I think we are past the "lid" as a unit of measure.

Hemp is measured in biomass... ok hemp isnt the same as cannabis sativa....wait......yes it is.

You can measure plants by weight. Pretty sure a heavier plant (biomass) is going to yield more flowers.

This argument has been hashed out a lot of times.

The bean counters need units of measure like Bushel
and farmers need to know how many bushels per acre so they dont starve.

Here's you link to how hemp is sold. Should sound familiar. Biomass = by weight.
IF I was selling my produce I wood be selling it by weight (biomass).

Are we still in doubt?

Link:
How To Sell Hemp Biomass: Hemp Selling Tips For Farmers | High Grade Hemp Seed

biomass is how we calculate yields. Its not just for cannabis.

Now cannabis has its own weights and measures now?

I think we are past the "lid" as a unit of measure.

Hemp is measured in biomass... ok hemp isnt the same as cannabis sativa....wait......yes it is.

You can measure plants by weight. Pretty sure a heavier plant (biomass) is going to yield more flowers.

This argument has been hashed out a lot of times.

The bean counters need units of measure like Bushel
and farmers need to know how many bushels per acre so they dont starve.

Here's you link to how hemp is sold. Should sound familiar. Biomass = by weight.
IF I was selling my produce I wood be selling it by weight (biomass).

Are we still in doubt?

Link:
How To Sell Hemp Biomass: Hemp Selling Tips For Farmers | High Grade Hemp Seed
You made a liar out of me, lol.
Mass of buds, not mass of plants.
A larger plant can yield more, but it is not set in stone, and how hemp farmers sell their plants is not a reference to how topping does or does not change yields of bud. So yes, I am still in doubt, and waiting for a reference to the question at hand.

All right, my referee has stepped in. She's reminded me that arguing with people online is bad for my mental health.
I'll be unwatching this thread after this post.

@datfatboi Grow your plants how you want. You're the only one who knows what's right for you. For what it's worth I really hope they grow well, however you decide to do it.
Good growing everyone.

Inside, I don’t like to grow trees, I want buds. I will keep a mom and flower out her cuttings most of the time. Outside is where trees grow. Lol,big ones.
I grow trees indoors and EVERY time its the most biomass that has the largest yields in the can after dry and trim.

I can tell pretty much what I'm going to yield right as soon as I chop the plant and hold it upside down the first time. If its heavy - I'm going to get a nice haul.

Now some can argue that biomass has nothing to do with dried flower weight.... ok there's no science behind that thought.

But hemp and cannabis are sold by weight.

How do we confuse biomass weight with flower weight?

They are the same thing 420% on that.

Topping is going to reduce the biomass weight and its going to generate thinner less strong branches. Outside its not going to be optimal.

The OP asked about this ^^^^ and if it will make stronger branching for outdoor - just try and keep this in mind I'm not arguing the indoor thing since off topic.

Indoors its going to lengthen growing time and that raises your costs. Wont raise yields because yields have a time constraint added indoors. So my argument is going to be the same for outdoors as it is for indoors.

And yes trees are bigger that bushes and will yield more flower. By "bigger" I'm saying more biomass.

You made a liar out of me, lol.
Mass of buds, not mass of plants.
A larger plant can yield more, but it is not set in stone, and how hemp farmers sell their plants is not a reference to how topping does or does not change yields of bud. So yes, I am still in doubt, and waiting for a reference to the question at hand.
I grow trees indoors and EVERY time its the most biomass that has the largest yields in the can after dry and trim.

I can tell pretty much what I'm going to yield right as soon as I chop the plant and hold it upside down the first time. If its heavy - I'm going to get a nice haul.

Now some can argue that biomass has nothing to do with dried flower weight.... ok there's no science behind that thought.

Topping is going to reduce the biomass weight and its going to generate thinner less strong branches. Outside its not going to be optimal.

The OP asked about this ^^^^ and if it will make stronger branching for outdoor - just try and keep this in mind I'm not arguing the indoor thing since off topic.

Indoors its going to lengthen growing time and that raises your costs. Wont raise yields because yields have a time constraint added indoors. So my argument is going to be the same for outdoors as it is for indoors.

And yes trees are bigger that bushes and will yield more flower. By "bigger" I'm saying more biomass.
Biomass what? Lol. I’m not in your guys argument.... leave me out that shit. Lol. I was just saying what I like to do.... I’d rather a bunch of smaller plants with big buds than a few plants taking up more space and giving me less variety also.

Everyone smoke a joint now. Lol...

You do grow fire forsure and are definitely someone to listen to and take their advice.

lol.... its my soil's fault. I got nothing to do with it. This round tho all my girls are a lot tamer. I only hadda supercrop one plant this time and she stopped stretch as soon as I bent over her main stem.

That surprised me... That has never happened before.

Sorry if I came off a bit strong on my response to topping.

It's one of those bro ideas up there with :

Flushing
Defoil
light dep before chop and I could go on but I won't.

Cheers

lol.... its my soil's fault. I got nothing to do with it. This round tho all my girls are a lot tamer. I only hadda supercrop one plant this time and she stopped stretch as soon as I bent over her main stem.

Flushing
Defoil

Cheers
See there it is... you grow in good soil... you can grow trees inside. I’m cranking em out in coco....

wait hold on! topping makes the branches weaker? i thought it's the opposite? since you're cutting the top part, the 2 branches are gonna be able to grow bigger since there isn't that 3rd top branch growing taking energy away no?

also i noticed my fem's grow very big with LOTS AND LOTS of branches, i see some growers they have few branches but they're VERY thick and the buds are very large, i'm able to this with autos, but for some reasons my fems always seem to grow thin and with many branches.

perhaps cutting the end of the longest branches when they try to grow longer to allow the smaller branches to catch up could work?

long story short, i need strong plants to resist to wind, but i also need to keep em real low with LST because of reasons.

the issue i had last year is that strong winds broke some of the long weak branches, shorter branches=stronger= thicker buds= less surface area for the wind to blow on

Flushing
Defoil

Cheers
i was skeptical but flushing definitely works. i didn't flush my last plant and kept giving it fertilizer up until the end and the smoke is SO harsh, it literally burns my lungs, the other plants i flushed taste great!

there also seems to be some evidence light dep for 48h before harvest does indeed improve yield, i can't say much because it's hard to gauge the difference when smoking it especially because it's probably a very small one.and there is a lot of other factors playing into it too

Plant size and shape is genetic.

Depends on your plant and how it was selected in the breeding part of the lifecycle.

I've gotten plants that are WAY branchy short dont need "topping" at all and in fact if you topped them - they wouldn't be worth a damn. These types of plants are GREAT for scrog.

Back to topping... making stronger branches is better accomplished with a proper soil and nutrients. Add in soluble silicon there are many versions out there and you can even add plants like horsetail fern to you soil mix its high in Si and you can foliar on silica as well.

Both of the silica and also adding some fulvic acid to your water and/or foliar on, this will help with branch strength.

Topping does 1 thing, you removing the apical meristem. Its VERY stressful for the plant and the plant has to grow a new one before she can continue her growth.

When I say reduce yield - thats pointing to the 10 days or so of stalled growth AND the over all yield will be less.

When I say yield I'm talking biomass over time. You cannot talk yield without adding time into the equation.

Example:

I vegged a plant for 9 months - topped her several times she filled out a 5x5 and in 11 months I harvested 2.2#s dry trimmed.

OK 11 months in a 5x5. I could easily grow 4 plants in 3 or 4 rounds not topped in that same 11 months. Which scenario is going to be a higher yield???

That said... yield is NOT my focus - I only focus on quality and that starts with the seed and the genetics.

i was skeptical but flushing definitely works. i didn't flush my last plant and kept giving it fertilizer up until the end and the smoke is SO harsh, it literally burns my lungs, the other plants i flushed taste great!

there also seems to be some evidence light dep for 48h before harvest does indeed improve yield, i can't say much because it's hard to gauge the difference when smoking it especially because it's probably a very small one.and there is a lot of other factors playing into it too
Show me some science for either "flushing" or "light dep"

key word is SCIENCE. I'm interested in your findings.

Plant size and shape is genetic.

Depends on your plant and how it was selected in the breeding part of the lifecycle.

I've gotten plants that are WAY branchy short dont need "topping" at all and in fact if you topped them - they wouldn't be worth a damn. These types of plants are GREAT for scrog.

Back to topping... making stronger branches is better accomplished with a proper soil and nutrients. Add in soluble silicon there are many versions out there and you can even add plants like horsetail fern to you soil mix its high in Si and you can foliar on silica as well.

Both of the silica and also adding some fulvic acid to your water and/or foliar on, this will help with branch strength.

Topping does 1 thing, you removing the apical meristem. Its VERY stressful for the plant and the plant has to grow a new one before she can continue her growth.

When I say reduce yield - thats pointing to the 10 days or so of stalled growth AND the over all yield will be less.

When I say yield I'm talking biomass over time. You cannot talk yield without adding time into the equation.

Example:

I vegged a plant for 9 months - topped her several times she filled out a 5x5 and in 11 months I harvested 2.2#s dry trimmed.

OK 11 months in a 5x5. I could easily grow 4 plants in 3 or 4 rounds not topped in that same 11 months. Which scenario is going to be a higher yield???

That said... yield is NOT my focus - I only focus on quality and that starts with the seed and the genetics.
i see, so what you're saying is that in order to achive those thick heavy buds genetics play a big role?

is there a thread where i can find which genetics have these characteristics?

last year i grew this diesel auto from rqs, the buds were MASSIVE, the biggest main cola weigh 25 damn grams DRY! and it wasn't one of those long skinny cola, it was short and F A T, like the density of that bud and the diameter was insane....

was planning on keeping it for a while but while tripping on shrooms i broke it trying to roll a entire joint with it lol.

Try water for the last 2 weeks... all I got for ya.

I'm organic soil nothing but water so thats all I do and my flowers are smooth outta the gate. Maybe the harshness is not non-flush thing but the actual fertilizers.

My plants are very very rarely green on harvest day... if you plants are green when you harvest there's too much chlorophyll left in your leaves.

2 issues with that... the taste as you mentioned and the plants should really be getting nutrients mostly from the fan leaves and not as much from the soil down the stretch in flower.

The fan leaves are running the show... they help distribute PGRs the plant makes to grow flowers. Think about it.

How does the plant know when to flower? Because of the light change right? How does the plant know the light changed? The fan leaves send hormones to the apical meristem (that top some folks wanna cut off), that signals the change in lighting and flowering to begin.

Back
Top Bottom