Topping

Snoffy

Hi :)
mine have now reached the greenhouse roof :-/ was wondering if i just leave them to fend for them selves or im supposed to cut the tops off? don't want to do the wrong thing :rolleyes:

Cheers

Snoffy :cool:

Attachments

• 20200723_172059.jpg
    20200723_172059.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20200723_172049.jpg
    20200723_172049.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
so the girls are now 2 foot taller than me :) just had someone tell me i should be cutting all the bottom branches off, and severely trim all the leaves off to about halfway up ???? doesn't sound right to me. but i dont know any better :-/ can i please get second or more opinion! think they look big and healthy, surely i just leave them growing??

Thanks

Snoffy
118199375_288419369125450_3178140403568255480_n.jpg

Hey Snoffy, Nice plant and greenhouse guy!

It’s called lollipopping, the idea is the lower limbs draw resources for a few bits of popcorn bud. By removing lower 1/3rd limbs leaves & all.... she can focus energy on big colas. In the end your plant looks like a lollipop, long skinny stick with bulb at top.

Never tried it on a plant that size but should work as advertised! But as always wait for more input before acting. Here are 2 really nice photos second one shows lollipop side view. Pics here and

Lastly welcome to

:420:

Hey Snoffy, Nice plant and greenhouse guy!

It’s called lollipopping, the idea is the lower limbs draw resources for a few bits of popcorn bud. By removing lower 1/3rd limbs leaves & all.... she can focus energy on big colas. In the end your plant looks like a lollipop, long skinny stick with bulb at top.

Never tried it on a plant that size but should work as advertised! But as always wait for more input before acting. Here are 2 really nice photos second one shows lollipop side view. Pics here and

Lastly welcome to

:420:
Thanking you for the input much appreciated

Outdoors lollypopping is of questionable value due to the power of the sun. It's mostly for indoor growers. My outdoor plants had plenty of bud down low. I don't know how things work in greenhouses, so YMMV. If you don't have good airflow then some defoliation might be called for.

I really wish someone without the plant count limits we have up here would grow two clones, one lollypopped one not to finally put this debate to bed. I've seen too many plants that weren't lollypopped with massive colas to do it myself outdoors. And popcorn buds might not look as good in a bag, but if you're growing for yourself they're just as good as a piece of a massive bud.

A 150g cola alone, or a 100g cola with 100g of popcorn? I know which I would choose.

Unless you have really good airflow in your greenhouse some level of defoliation would be beneficial to reduce moisture especially when they are flowering.
Just remember when you are bending and tying etc that the lower growth will speed up quickly taking up your horizontal space as well as vertical.
a well made plan can be priceless. I had 4 in the ground in a greenhouse last season. We ended up with 8 cross wires for tying to and over 500 pipe cleaners to tie down branches. It seems that every piece I tied down had half a dozen new shoots in the roof the next day!! Supercropping became my best friend lol I spent approx 11/2 to 2 hours per day bending and tying.
If I had to do over again I would lollipop for airflow and moisture control. And would be tying down hard!!
Nice looking plants. Will follow along and watch the flowing show :popcorn:

Unless you have really good airflow in your greenhouse some level of defoliation would be beneficial to reduce moisture especially when they are flowering.
Just remember when you are bending and tying etc that the lower growth will speed up quickly taking up your horizontal space as well as vertical.
a well made plan can be priceless. I had 4 in the ground in a greenhouse last season. We ended up with 8 cross wires for tying to and over 500 pipe cleaners to tie down branches. It seems that every piece I tied down had half a dozen new shoots in the roof the next day!! Supercropping became my best friend lol I spent approx 11/2 to 2 hours per day bending and tying.
If I had to do over again I would lollipop for airflow and moisture control. And would be tying down hard!!
Nice looking plants. Will follow along and watch the flowing show :popcorn:
Thanks :) if moisture will be a problem the im sort of stuck as the tops are already touching the roof and lots of condensation is on the leaves when i give them a shake :-/ also will the flowers / buds being sticky bee a pain if they stick to greenhouse roof?

Cheers

I wouldn't say correction, just a question that should be answered. There are things we do as growers that might not be of value, that need to be tested.

Things like flushing. We thought we had a reason to do a final flush in the last weeks of flowering. Until someone decided to test it. Maybe the winter after next season I'll set up an indoor grow again to test it.
Thanks for that correction on lollipoping outdoors CanadianJim!

Outdoors lollypopping is of questionable value due to the power of the sun. It's mostly for indoor growers. My outdoor plants had plenty of bud down low. I don't know how things work in greenhouses, so YMMV. If you don't have good airflow then some defoliation might be called for.

I really wish someone without the plant count limits we have up here would grow two clones, one lollypopped one not to finally put this debate to bed. I've seen too many plants that weren't lollypopped with massive colas to do it myself outdoors. And popcorn buds might not look as good in a bag, but if you're growing for yourself they're just as good as a piece of a massive bud.

A 150g cola alone, or a 100g cola with 100g of popcorn? I know which I would choose.
Yeah I didn’t say lollipop em. If you want to keep up on you plants it’s up to you. I don’t like w powder mold or bugs hiding in My plants. So try to prevent that stuff when I can.

Have you supercroped outdoors? That’s where it’s at.

Thanks :) if moisture will be a problem the im sort of stuck as the tops are already touching the roof and lots of condensation is on the leaves when i give them a shake :-/ also will the flowers / buds being sticky bee a pain if they stick to greenhouse roof?

Cheers
You will need to get them out of the roof ASAP. This will end poorly with larger buds if they stay wet..supercropping will be your best friend.
Stay positive! You can do this!!

Hi
Well not sure about lollipopping or topping? if its to get rid of lower branches that might not grow any bud. she is just getting bigger and bigger and bushy :rolleyes: all the very bottom branches are now heading up and very close to the top of greenhouse too :oops: completely covering my tomatoes and cucumber plants now! :) trying to be discreet here :laughtwo:
when can i expect her to stop growing??
20200831_110850.jpg

Back
Top Bottom