Transplant deeper to promote root growth from stem?

Bush Doctor 77

I've been transplanting my girls from pots to soil in the greenhouse, and burying them deeper than in the pot. The thought was that, like tomatoes, they would generate roots from the buried stem. It doesn't seem to create problems, and may even help prevent drying out by having the root ball deeper. It does not seem to promote root growth from the buried stem. This is last year's stem, and it was in the dirt up to where my hand is.

Attachments

• DSC01656.JPG
    DSC01656.JPG
    714.8 KB · Views: 499
I've been transplanting my girls from pots to soil in the greenhouse, and burying them deeper than in the pot. The thought was that, like tomatoes, they would generate roots from the buried stem. It doesn't seem to create problems, and may even help prevent drying out by having the root ball deeper. It does not seem to promote root growth from the buried stem. This is last year's stem, and it was in the dirt up to where my hand is.
Hey Doc... just a few thoughts. I have seen plants develop roots right at the soil surface area as a result of stress, but generally you only get two distinctly different sets of roots with our weed. The roots that define marijuana into the weed category are the top spreader roots. This thick matt of very efficient roots spread out along the surface and to about 3 or 4 inches deep. These root's job is to steal the rain from the other plants by efficiently sucking up the water that stays on the surface. Toward the middle of a container that has not developed a root ball, there will not be a lot of root mass and this is typically the area of the rootball that is left undeveloped. These roots can specialize very easily to be able to work with nutrient sources found in various areas in the soil, or things such as fertilizer spikes. Then at the bottom, you get the large feeder roots, and the big main tap root. These are highly specialized roots also, being able to stay under water for long periods of time and of such a diameter that they can easily suck up a lot of water.
So you want to go deeper? That is not really a problem, but don't expect as a result of this to develop a new set of roots... you may get a few runners from near the top, but those will join the upper spreader roots and your spreader mat will just be a little thicker. Preventing drying out however is not something that we want to do... in veg we want the soil to dry out and we want those roots to grow and expand trying to find more water in that container. Being stingy with the water does this, and allowing the water table to drop down to the last inch or so between waterings (too dry probably by your way of thinking) so that oxygen is pulled all the way down to the lower root system is very very healthy for the plants, not to mention that it keeps stale water from sitting in the bottom of the container.

It's impossible for my soil which is glacial outwash till to get waterlogged, so that is not a problem. I think the perc rate is about 10 feet an hour.Topsoil in my greenhouse is a very, very sandy loam and it does not hold much water. It requires water more often if I bury them shallow, I think. No trouble with growth , as they look like 8 foot wide Xmas trees in the fall. I agree with you about containers. I only water when the containers get light in weight.

Does the near surface root structure expand with the drip line? I flood irrigate and use amendments in a larger and larger circle as the plant gets wider.
yes, absolutely... this is why my watering method stresses watering from the outside, and making sure that the outside edges of your container are the wettest areas. The roots chase the water.

3 more and you can make a table.
Use those for table legs.
That's dehydrated. It was probably 20% bigger when green. The biggest I've grown was a classic DJ Short Blueberry. It was about 12 feet diameter, 3 feet high, and covered with donkey dicks. That was in the dirt next to an old milking barn. I never added fertilizer. The stem was near 3 inches in diameter.

Hey Doc... just a few thoughts. I have seen plants develop roots right at the soil surface area as a result of stress, but generally you only get two distinctly different sets of roots with our weed. The roots that define marijuana into the weed category are the top spreader roots. This thick matt of very efficient roots spread out along the surface and to about 3 or 4 inches deep. These root's job is to steal the rain from the other plants by efficiently sucking up the water that stays on the surface. Toward the middle of a container that has not developed a root ball, there will not be a lot of root mass and this is typically the area of the rootball that is left undeveloped. These roots can specialize very easily to be able to work with nutrient sources found in various areas in the soil, or things such as fertilizer spikes. Then at the bottom, you get the large feeder roots, and the big main tap root. These are highly specialized roots also, being able to stay under water for long periods of time and of such a diameter that they can easily suck up a lot of water.
So you want to go deeper? That is not really a problem, but don't expect as a result of this to develop a new set of roots... you may get a few runners from near the top, but those will join the upper spreader roots and your spreader mat will just be a little thicker. Preventing drying out however is not something that we want to do... in veg we want the soil to dry out and we want those roots to grow and expand trying to find more water in that container. Being stingy with the water does this, and allowing the water table to drop down to the last inch or so between waterings (too dry probably by your way of thinking) so that oxygen is pulled all the way down to the lower root system is very very healthy for the plants, not to mention that it keeps stale water from sitting in the bottom of the container.
Guyz, I grow in 55 gallon food-grade barrels cut in half, with holes in the bottom so they drain. In the heat of summer I have to water every other day, about like a cloth Smart Pot. It sounds as if your containers don't drain? Are my drain holes costing me unnecessary water and time, or do I need them? It is good that the night crawlers can get in and out. ...

Guyz, I grow in 55 gallon food-grade barrels cut in half, with holes in the bottom so they drain. In the heat of summer I have to water every other day, about like a cloth Smart Pot. It sounds as if your containers don't drain? Are my drain holes costing me unnecessary water and time, or do I need them? It is good that the night crawlers can get in and out. ...
There is a big difference in plants grown indoors compared to outside in the bright light of the sun. It is not uncommon to see huge container plants outside needing to be watered every day, and I know of one guy growing in the desert that has to water twice a day. Your location makes a huge difference. And yes, you need drain holes or there can be problems if water starts backing up... and of course the earthworms; you got to let them in. :)

Back
Top Bottom