Transplanting from soil to coir

nairetep

420 Member
Hello all,

I've just acquired 4 off, 2 week old plants which are potted in soil. I want to complete them in coir but, I'm not sure of the best way to go about transplanting them. Do I put the plant as it is, in soil, into my 25 litre pots and carry on as normal or, do I try to strip away as much of the soil around the root structure and then re-plant in the coir?

Can anyone help me here?

Regards to all,

nairetep

Attachments

• 20181122_120223.jpg
    20181122_120223.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20181122_120232.jpg
    20181122_120232.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 73
Years ago I received 6 clones planted in soil in 6" plastic pots, wanted to wash the soil off them an run DWC, it failed miserably.
Too much damage to the fine hair roots, if I were to try again I would remove the plants from the pots, soak them in water for a much longer period of time, gently bob them up and down and not try to remove all the soil.
Especially going into coco I would not think you would need all the soil off, but a large majority of it would need to be removed. I think I would give a bit of grow time then clone them starting them in coco.
GR

Thank-you gr,
I think I can keep the plants for a couple more days before having to commit to a solution, so, I'm hoping that someone else may pitch in with more ideas. The plants were a gift so I need to ensure that I complete them. I've only ever grown using coir. so opting for a soil grow would be a leap in the dark and, I'd like to stick with what I'm used too.

Cheers all........

Well if you chose to go that route i would remove them from the pots, put them in a large container with a lite solution of nutes, let them soak in the solution until you fill they are completely saturated. Then gently move them up and down in the solution, again the key is gently. You can then use a lite spray to remove more soil but do not pull any of the soil chunks from the roots.
If you can get at least 70% of the soil off, hopefully more. Then plug your drain hole in the pot with coco, fill with solution to make a loose sludge of coco, hold the stem just above the roots and begin dipping the roots in the solution, bob it up and down but do not lift the roots from the solution. The key is getting them as spread as possible in the coco sludge, so when you think you have them spread remove plug and allow the sludge drain. You can place the pot on a screen to keep the coco from wash out of the drain hole.
Once it is drained the roots should not be bound together and should be ok beyond that point.

Good luck buddy.

GR

Hello ,I have been down this road and believe me it was a nightmare I was as gentle as I could be but the problem is unless you get 99% of that soil off the roots it causes a ph problem down the road around the root ball. Soil holds to much water in it around the roots as Coco needs water daily . I would probably leave them where they are and the only 2 differences between Coco and soil are you need a ph of 6.2 and only water when the pot is a lot drier (3-4 days instead of daily ).The time you save in growing by using hydro (Coco )you lose that 2 fold trying to get them over the shock of the transplant , I would leave them till they get bigger and then take clones from them and grow the clones in coco,just my 2cents.measure what you stand to gain by what you stand to lose.

Hello GR and Nooobienot,
After much deliberating, I've decided to give in and do a soil grow (for the first time). I've picked up a couple of 50l bags of Canna Terra Pro and supplies of Canna Terra Vega and Terra Flores (I use Canna products already for my coir grows) and I will water the 4 plants with the correct pH'd water (just to flush them as I don't what they have already been exposed to) and tomorrow will transplant into 25 litre pots, give them a week in veg (18/6) and then switch to flower (12/12) and see what happens.
Thanks again for your help and, I'll post images as things progress.

Regards,

nairetep

hello , wish you the best , stay with the soil and clone them to Coco ,just don't over water, soil needs to dry out vs Coco always being wet , adjust the ph # to 6.2-6.5 for the plants in soil vs 5.5 -5.8 in coco , it's that simple only 2 difference between the 2 types of grow .

Hello , yes just before you send to flower , and be sure to make sure your clone has 2-3 sets of branches on it and be sure to use a product called clonex on the cut ends to seal the cut so you don't get air embolism in it , and I find that from the top of the plant is best to take cuttings from .I put the clone in rockwool and then move to coco but you can go straight to Coco also , I like to see the root development before I go to coco just so I know where to roughly set my ppm`s at for the new plant

Ps , make sure to make your cut on a 45 degree angle as it makes for a larger area for the stem to take water in with and to grow roots from .

The girls are now at home in soil and, they appear to be happy. I can only hope that they remain so. I've decided to give them a couple of weeks in veg, take a few clones and then go to flower. I'll top them next week and get the net up.

Cheers all.

Glad to hear , remember let your soil dry out before watering and keep your nutes low , you can always give more the next watering but its a p.i.t.a. if you have to do a soil flush if you over feed !

Back
Top Bottom