U.S. Government Licenses Patent for Medical Marijuana

Julie Gardener

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is About to Award Exclusive Rights to Apply Marijuana as a Medical Therapeutic

Deadline for Comment: Monday, Dec. 19

LOS ANGELES, CA – Dec. 15, 2011--The Union of Medical Marijuana Patients has just discovered that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is about to award an exclusive license to KannaLife Sciences, Inc. of New York to develop medical therapeutics based on the chemistry of cannabis. According to the notice in the Federal Register, public comments will be accepted through Monday, December 19.

"We find it hypocritical and incredible that on the one hand, the U.S. Department of Justice is persecuting medical cannabis patient associations, asserting that the federal government regards marijuana as having absolutely no medical value, despite overwhelming clinical evidence," said Union director James Shaw. "On the other hand, the Department of Health and Human Services is planning to grant patent rights with possible worldwide application to develop medicines based on cannabis."

While the Union applauds the U.S. government's efforts into researching the medical value of cannabis, Shaw said, "they should have affirmatively rescheduled cannabis when they discovered it had medical efficacy and, of course, it makes no sense for the government to provide U.S. Patent 6,630,507, which the government owns, to a single company with exclusive rights." He urged medical cannabis patient associations and patients using marijuana for medical reasons to protest this giveaway to one pharmaceutical firm.

Comments need to be submitted in writing by next Monday to Betty B. Tong, Ph.D., Senior Licensing and Patenting Manager, Office of Technology Transfer, National Institutes of Health, 6011 Executive Boulevard, Suite 325, Rockville MD 20852-3804, fax (301) 402-0220, or tongb@mail.nih.gov.

More information on this issue can be found at Union of Medical Marijuana Patients « Protecting Patient and Caregiver Rights Union of Medical Marijuana Patients - Protecting Patient and Caregiver Rights.

Scott Smith
The Union of Medical Marijuana Patients
Los Angeles, CA
310-254-4051

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Source: U.S. Government Licenses Patent for Medical Marijuana

Ok, I thought it was unconstitutional for any company to have a monopoly on anything? Much less, something that they didn't even invent..um? Didn't GOD invent cannabis? How do you patent something that's God made?

Hell, I think I need a patent on pine trees, I could make a fortune in pine trees...I think I need a cut of every bit of money that's ever been made by using pine trees so, every piece of plywood, every 2 x 4 and every roll of paper belongs to me now and I want to be pay'd back in full for every pine tree that's ever produced these things...they're mine and I want payment now, or the whole world will just go without pine trees!!! Um...dude, God has the patent on all natural things!!! not man!!!

So, some big pharma company will now hold exclusive rights to cannabis? Do, what???!!!

You mean to tell me that, the government doesn't even recognize cannabis as medicine and continues to keep it as a schedule 1 drug, and it's still going to let some big pharma company develop medically useful drugs from cannabis? That just makes my head spin!!! WTF???!!!

@420 Warrior, I know right? Now it makes sense, all the dispensary's are violating the patent. So why not come out and say that's why?
Because they would have to admit they lied. (Not the first time)
A monopoly supplied with the right to be a monopoly, is a very bad idea. Exclusive rights means all research, and outcome will be locked away, given to the highest bidder. That is not the way my America does business.
As more time ticks buy , I am leaning more and more toward Ron Paul. I like most his ideas, and that's allot more than I can say for any other contender from any party. I think as a doctor he understands that what medicine I use is a personal choice and that the Federal Government has no place in my blood stream. He has said so, or something to that effect.
But seriously, time to change the way America does business, and politics. Any system that involves political parties mixed with the interest of business over individual rights and freedoms is not going to work. Greed always seems to win these Politicians (Lawyers). That's what they are, Lawyers. There is a Warm Place in Hell for deceitful, greedy practitioners of law. They learned how to write themselves and the Big companies a fat paycheck at our expense , law school Paid for by Big companies. Med school funded by Pharmacology inc. bastards make me sick. Now, I need to meditate and medicate to cleanse my soul of this . Then I will be ready....:peace:

Wow, This is unbelievable! How do we fix this misguided, ineffective government of ours? It doesn't seem like voting is getting it done!

Wow, This is unbelievable! How do we fix this misguided, ineffective government of ours? It doesn't seem like voting is getting it done!

Peaceful change. Violence begets violence. Peace begets peace, however where Zen ends, ass kicking begins. If it is your karma to stand up for the weak and oppressed then stand tall, and strong. It is in your stand that our hope lies. It is in your desire to do what is good for all that makes you strong. Voting can get it done, the people are just now waking from a Government approved catatonic state. I guess all that drinking has given the us quite a tolerance for crap, drink enough and you don't care. We have been intimidated, slandered, set up, ignored, spat upon, poisoned, experimented on, stolen from, falsely arrested, tortured, executed, "disappeared", and forgotten by our own government. How many groups can say that about the United States?.. most if not all, sad. I need to medicate.:love:.

Back
Top Bottom