Uncle Fuzzy's way of the SCRoG

My plants have been in flower for about 10 days. These two plants, Strawberry Banana wont stretch too much. I've grown it quite a bit and have never seen them stretch more than 7 inches or so. I've stopped tucking them. I dont want the buds to grow below the net, so I'm gonna let them do their thing. If these plants were known for stretching you may still tuck a while.

Let's start with the plant in the closet... there were 2, but the shorter was quickly being eclipsed by the larger. The plant that graduated to flower was seriously sick. It was a mother, the same mother that I used to clone the hydro plant. It's amazing how different the 2 look. Part of the reason for that is the neglect the mothers recieved when they weren't giving clones. They weren't being fed properly, and the light was turned way down. When I decided to send the two to flower they wouldn't eat, and had lockout issues. I flushed them for quite a while and gave them nothing but fulvic acid to help chelate the available nutrients. The smaller one wasn't moving fast enough so I pulled it. Here are some shots from underneath. You can see it gave a quite a few clones. The inside growth has been trimmed up. The branches are spread, the light is being utilized.

The topside of this plant looks so much better than it used to. Leaves look good. No burn, no nutrient issues showing other than a little discoloration at the very tip... I can live with that.

The hydro plant is doing very well. It never had the issues the other plant had. I've spent quite a bit of time pulling leaves to allow the new tops to get light without the large leaves getting in the way. You can always just tuck the leaves under the net, but I know in a week I will have twice as many to contend with. I dont want to block the flow of air underneath, so I pull the leaves.

In the first pic. You will see leaves AND small branches. These shoots came from the inside of the plant closest to the meristem. They usually have a shitty node separation and dont do too hot. Dont get me wrong, they will bud, especially directly under the light, but I have so many beautiful tops to promote, I feel the energy should go to them.
Take a look at the underside. A nice clean gap between the lid and canopy. This is just a good practice. You want to make sure you have a nice air flow in there as I stated.

I will continue to trim the new growth that is taking place anywhere other than at the tops

Since these plants dont stretch much I wont tuck a branch tip under a string if I know it wont grow enough to point up when it's time to flower. You will see that I have a 6-8" wall of growth at the edges, not a smooth flat taper. If I have a couple tall tops I will lightly zip tie them back a couple inches to get my flat canopy.

I will be adding a PK booster toward the end of next week. I dont think I've been over this yet. I'm going to be using Hula Bloom by Grow More. I'm a big fan of a PK boosters I start after the stretch and go to about a couple weeks before harvest. I will say that it's easy to over due it. Too much Phosphorous or Potassium will leave you with issues like lock out in Calcium, Magnesium, zinc and iron. I'm not one to have a PPM over 1000. It happens, but I've had much better luck with smaller numbers.

I hope yall find this thread entertaining, if not informative. For the new guys/girls... just remember theres a million ways to do it. This isnt the gospel of plant training. Your plants will look and behave differently than mine. Your most important asset is your imagination and the ability to put it to work. Take a look at my growroom. It's a 10x12 shed in Southern California where Summer temps go above 105F 40C. These pictures arent pretty. But the system as a whole works very well in various conditions. My imagination had a field day here.

I got bored and took a couple pictures. I know they look exactly like the last 5 photo sessions I took prior. Just go with me on this. Haha

I wanted to show how open the inside of this plant is. It looks like a pile of leaves, but it's pretty clear inside. I'll probably gonna pull some leaves up top just to clear the new stuff If you look closely you can see a couple more shoots that are candidates for trimming. They start closest to the stalk.

The closet plant is doing well. The scrog really helped keep it from growing into a hedge.

A funny thing happened in the shed the other night. We had a major wind storm the other night and the large door to my shed woke me up from banging around. I went outside to secure the door and found one of my lights was on. FUCK! It's not the end of the world, but why was it on? I still dont know. It's a digital timer so it's easy to see when it turns on or off. I took it down and played with it on another light so I'm not turning the HPS on and off in rapid succession, it's supposed to turn on at 8AM and shut off 12 hours later, WTF! I found that for whatever reason it was turning on at 3AM ( isnt that about the time shit goes down in ghost movies?! Oh great! Haunted Strawberry Banana. So tossed that one and replaced it.

What does this mean?

Well, basically, all it means is they have been vegging for the last two weeks. I dont believe they ever saw any of the flower cycle so it shouldn't effect anything other than the size of the plant. And I wasted 2 weeks

This affects the plant in the closet also. Since the roof of the closet was removed to allow the light to be raised of the plant gets much bigger.

What's up now?:

Since the hydro plant is a bit larger than it was, and still needs to stretch a bit, I'm going to give it another defoliation, and tuck everything one more time. The closet plant will probably stay the way it is due to the fact theres not much room in the scrog and the tops are basically out of the way from each other. I say that now, but we will see how it goes.

If this happened deep in flower hermaphroditism, stunted flowers, poor quality could all been something to look forward to.

Timer issues are really common. Seems like I always have to make some sort of adjustment in the beginning. The timer that failed has always been in the same plug, the start and end time hasn't changed in a few seasons, even then, not much. I had been in the room just after 8AM and seen the light on, but I had never SEEN it turn on. I just figured the light had turned on just prior to my arrival.

Lesson to be learned? Double check your timers! Again, I have no idea what happened. I had an analog timer from the same brand (Blueprint) and after a while it wouldn't keep good time. You plugged it in and you could hear a little gear grind away. Trash. Maybe the lesson here is buy Titan timers.

Final thoughts:

This isnt the end of the world. And, it's not the end of this season. This is pot farming... adapt and overcome It's not super bitchen that it happened while trying to put out a "how to" but maybe it's better that way! Hope this helps

A funny thing happened in the shed the other night. We had a major wind storm the other night and the large door to my shed woke me up from banging around. I went outside to secure the door and found one of my lights was on. FUCK! It's not the end of the world, but why was it on? I still dont know. It's a digital timer so it's easy to see when it turns on or off. I took it down and played with it on another light so I'm not turning the HPS on and off in rapid succession, it's supposed to turn on at 8AM and shut off 12 hours later, WTF! I found that for whatever reason it was turning on at 3AM ( isnt that about the time shit goes down in ghost movies?! Oh great! Haunted Strawberry Banana. So tossed that one and replaced it.

What does this mean?

Well, basically, all it means is they have been vegging for the last two weeks. I dont believe they ever saw any of the flower cycle so it shouldn't effect anything other than the size of the plant. And I wasted 2 weeks

This affects the plant in the closet also. Since the roof of the closet was removed to allow the light to be raised of the plant gets much bigger.

What's up now?:

Since the hydro plant is a bit larger than it was, and still needs to stretch a bit, I'm going to give it another defoliation, and tuck everything one more time. The closet plant will probably stay the way it is due to the fact theres not much room in the scrog and the tops are basically out of the way from each other. I say that now, but we will see how it goes.

If this happened deep in flower hermaphroditism, stunted flowers, poor quality could all been something to look forward to.

Timer issues are really common. Seems like I always have to make some sort of adjustment in the beginning. The timer that failed has always been in the same plug, the start and end time hasn't changed in a few seasons, even then, not much. I had been in the room just after 8AM and seen the light on, but I had never SEEN it turn on. I just figured the light had turned on just prior to my arrival.

Lesson to be learned? Double check your timers! Again, I have no idea what happened. I had an analog timer from the same brand (Blueprint) and after a while it wouldn't keep good time. You plugged it in and you could hear a little gear grind away. Trash. Maybe the lesson here is buy Titan timers.

Final thoughts:

This isnt the end of the world. And, it's not the end of this season. This is pot farming... adapt and overcome It's not super bitchen that it happened while trying to put out a "how to" but maybe it's better that way! Hope this helps

I had a similar malfunction this grow. Woke up at 4am one morning and thought I’d check night temp and humidity and SURPRISE my lights were on.

I tossed the digital and went back to a pin timer. No apparent I’ll effects, but I’m pretty sure it slowed flowering.

I had a similar malfunction this grow. Woke up at 4am one morning and thought I’d check night temp and humidity and SURPRISE my lights were on.

I tossed the digital and went back to a pin timer. No apparent I’ll effects, but I’m pretty sure it slowed flowering.
Fuckin timers... It happens.

Yea I ditched my consumer grade junk. Went with real stuff. A couple of intermatic case timers run my lights now. I've seen these things run for 10+ years in commerical service.

they have to be hard wired?

Kind of but no. I use pigtails on mine. So the only wiring is just hooking those up inside the box. There's several flavors available for 120/240v spst/ dpst mines a dpst with a 120v timer motor so I can use it on a 120 now and a 240v circuit in the future

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_192117693.jpg
    IMG_20200101_192117693.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 61
Kind of but no. I use pigtails on mine. So the only wiring is just hooking those up inside the box. There's several flavors available for 120/240v spst/ dpst mines a dpst with a 120v timer motor so I can use it on a 120 now and a 240v circuit in the future
Awesome! That's the coolest thing I've seen in a while

Im sold :)
do you use one per ballast?

Yeah screw the digital style.

Plants are doing well. The big plant is kind of a monster now. Really too big for the scrog. It it were square that would help, I was working with it and decided to basically leave it alone. It will be tall above the net, but that's not always a bad thing. The plant is stretched out and light is even across the top. No really high spots.

This plant went over a pound. It was a similar situation. It was just a beast, and I vegged it for over 2 months

There were 2 plants in the grow together they did 27 ounces. Here is the other plant.

So that's what I'm after.

The hydro plant is doing well. It's as tucked as its gonna be, which means its gonna be an animal in flower. I will probably strap the branches down with velcro if they are getting too close to the light. In the pictures you'll see how large it's gotten. Look at the photo from underneath you can see plenty of light all the way through.
In 3 weeks, it will be interesting what this thing looks like.

I wanted to offer a super duper Uncle Fuzzy secret. If your scrog gets a little lose theres a way to spread your plant a little more by taken the slack out of the net. If you are lucky enough to be able to walk around your scrog you in luck. Just take a little on one side then the rest on the opposite side. I use zip ties. Since your plant wants to grow UP its branches are pulling in on the net. You are pulling it back to where you want them.

Disclaimer... if your net is sitting in a crotch where a smaller branch is coming off a larger one, you may do a little damage to that area. Just double check, because your net is moving and may end up where you dont want it. It's not gonna kill your plant, I just dont want to hear it if it did damage. Haha

Back
Top Bottom