Understanding the NPK numbers on fertilizer specs

Saxplayer

I am looking to make my own liquid nutes for my new small hydro setup. Sure I could buy the stuff straight off the shelf, but, me being me, I looked at the cost of all the fancy looking bottles and flashy labels and thought, well, it’s only a few basic ingredients, why not put them together m’self and save a shed load of cash?

But, when it comes to understanding the NPK numbers, seems even our local garden centres and fertiliser distributers can’t agree what they represent exactly. So, N-Nitrogen P-Phosphorous K-Potassium, no problem. But, do the actual amounts stand for a ratio, or a percentage?

One local store said that its a percentage. So, I asked them, if thats so, and you have only 1% of each of the three primary nutrients (1-1-1), what is the other 97% of the makeup, is it all filler?

They couldn’t give me an answer.

Another company I asked said it’s simply a ratio ie 20-4-2 is a ratio of 20 parts N, 4 parts P and 2 parts K. That makes sense. So, I asked them why do some fertilisers have 1-1-1 and others have 30-30-30, because if its just a ratio, then both are just equal thirds?
The nice lady I was speaking to was lost and admitted she didn’t know.

I noted on some liquid fertilisers the NPK was expressed as percentages, which again made little sense as the values were so small (unless the missing 80% was water content?).

Yesterday I spoke with so many people about this, and no one could actually give me a straight answer, including an actual fertiliser company whom I contacted.

I'm not looking to do a PhD in chemistry as such (but I do dabble in it a little in my workshop), but just enough to allow me to understand what I'm doing with this.

So, I thought I’d throw it out here and see what you guys have to say.

I will have more questions about making DIY nutes but for now I’d just like to understand this NPK thing firstly.

:cool: 🎷

NPK are only the macro nutrients nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.

Secondary nutrients are Calcium, Magnesium and Sulfur.

Then there's micro nutrients boron, chlorine, cobalt, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc,

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

NPK are only the macro nutrients nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.

Secondary nutrients are Calcium, Magnesium and Sulfur.

Then there's micro nutrients boron, chlorine, cobalt, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc,

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
Hey Wastei, yeah I get that, but its the relationship between the three macro's (NPK) that I am not sure about. ie do the numbers represent a % or a ratio...etc.

I am looking to make my own liquid nutes for my new small hydro setup. Sure I could buy the stuff straight off the shelf, but, me being me, I looked at the cost of all the fancy looking bottles and flashy labels and thought, well, it’s only a few basic ingredients, why not put them together m’self and save a shed load of cash?

But, when it comes to understanding the NPK numbers, seems even our local garden centres and fertiliser distributers can’t agree what they represent exactly. So, N-Nitrogen P-Phosphorous K-Potassium, no problem. But, do the actual amounts stand for a ratio, or a percentage?

One local store said that its a percentage. So, I asked them, if thats so, and you have only 1% of each of the three primary nutrients (1-1-1), what is the other 97% of the makeup, is it all filler?

Another company I asked said it’s simply a ratio ie 20-4-2 is a ratio of 20 parts N, 4 parts P and 2 parts K. That makes sense. So, I asked them why do some fertilisers have 1-1-1 and others have 30-30-30, because if its just a ratio, then both are just equal thirds?

I noted on some liquid fertilisers the NPK was expressed as percentages, which again made little sense as the values were so small (unless the missing 80% was water content?).

Yesterday I spoke with so many people about this, and no one could actually give me a straight answer, including an actual fertiliser company whom I contacted.

I'm not looking to do a PhD in chemistry as such (but I do dabble in it a little in my workshop), but just enough to allow me to understand what I'm doing with this.

I will have more questions about making DIY nutes but for now I’d just like to understand this NPK thing firstly.

Hehe - you question and think same as me, maybe that's why music satisfies our souls
I've wrestled with this alligator of a question for a long time
Generally NPK is given as a ratio xN xP xK so 10-20-30, which is exactly the same as 1-2-3
The difference is the concentration described in % of volume of fluid

Hehe - you question and think same as me, maybe that's why music satisfies our souls
I've wrestled with this alligator of a question for a long time
Generally NPK is given as a ratio xN xP xK so 10-20-30, which is exactly the same as 1-2-3
The difference is the concentration described in % of volume of fluid
Yeah the music helps when all else fails for sure 😁

Seems to me that we are being ripped off with some of these products. Sure, everyone needs to survive and make a profit, but when we pay say $100 for a product which has a value of say $1 but then the fancy box it comes in and the hype etc all account for the other $99, well it goes against the grain a little with me.
Hey look, I know that there are those who want the convenience of being "spoon-fed" a product that you literally just tip-in and done, without having to weigh out and mix etc, but call me old fashioned, I like the DIY cost saving approach.

That said, I do support my local grow shops (more than I would admit to my wife thats for sure), and I am certainly not
trying to demean anyone for wanting the no-fuss approach to all of this. Hell, sometimes I'm my own worst enemy by wanting to re-invent the wheel. LOL

Hey buddy check this thread.
It has literally everything you need to know.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Screenshot_20240418-175505_Chrome.jpg

Start here. :thumb:

Yeah the music helps when all else fails for sure 😁

Seems to me that we are being ripped off with some of these products. Sure, everyone needs to survive and make a profit, but when we pay say $100 for a product which has a value of say $1 but then the fancy box it comes in and the hype etc all account for the other $99, well it goes against the grain a little with me.
Hey look, I know that there are those who want the convenience of being "spoon-fed" a product that you literally just tip-in and done, without having to weigh out and mix etc, but call me old fashioned, I like the DIY cost saving approach.

That said, I do support my local grow shops (more than I would admit to my wife thats for sure), and I am certainly not
trying to demean anyone for wanting the no-fuss approach to all of this. Hell, sometimes I'm my own worst enemy by wanting to re-invent the wheel. LOL
There's many non-cannabis specific general blends that work as good as anything else. You have Yara Terra Kristalon yellow 6-12-36 in 25kg(2.2 pounds) bags in EU. I believe Haifa is bigger in the US.

That mixed with Calcium nitrate and Epsom salt(magnesium sulfate) and you'll have enough nutrient salts to last a lifetime indoors.

You can mix all of these ingredients to make a 2 part liquid nutrient formula.

That's the cheapest route you could possibly go. You'll spend more money buying every single nutrient and mixing it on your own.

You'll spend more money buying every single nutrient and mixing it on your own.
Yes, there is that very important point. Plus, you will still not be done. You'll have to know and then take into consideration the percent of each source of a nutrient being used that is already water soluble and the percentage that is insoluble. Still not done since the time it takes the water insoluble portion to become soluble has to be worked on.

And when it is all said and done there is something else to consider and that is repeatability.

Lastly, I found this which explains it all so clearly I think.
Why couldn't I find these before I wonder?
Cool, makes sense - but mixing imperial measurements with percentages is crazy
Why not base it on kg/g/% it's much more simple ;)

Cool, makes sense - but mixing imperial measurements with percentages is crazy
Why not base it on kg/g/% it's much more simple ;)
Well I guess it is because it's an American vid, and America is still largely "Imperial".
I started out using Imperial at school, but then just when we were getting used to it, the whole system was scrapped and we went to metric. It was a time for confusion and frustration for teachers and kids alike! Thankfully I was very young, as I believe the older kids were a little shell shocked.

Back
Top Bottom