NPK conversion mystery

H20gro

Ok, so i know what npk is (are) and what theyre used for by the plant in Terms of veg/bloom. and i believe the npk ratio to be percentages of each (npk) in a given mix.

My question is this: if i want my veg to run at an npk of 3-1-1, eg, how is that accomplished using nutes that are 2-1-6/5-0-1/0-5-4 respectively? Those are the npk of GH flora series 3 part (grow/micro/bloom).

There are numerous feed charts around that call for different strength dwc solutions but id really like to know how to achieve 3-1-1 npk or 1-3-3 for that matter. Im sure theres a simple formula but am ignorant as to its whereabouts.

Id also like to be able to determine what the npk is for whatever strength nute solution i mix up of GH 3 part. Im using ro water so having to add calmag. I need to check its npk and consider it in my calculations too. I just need the secret formula.
@Bill284 @bluter @Delps8 @Peat Phreak

Anyone? Tia

Ok, so i know what npk is (are) and what theyre used for by the plant in Terms of veg/bloom. and i believe the npk ratio to be percentages of each (npk) in a given mix.

My question is this: if i want my veg to run at an npk of 3-1-1, eg, how is that accomplished using nutes that are 2-1-6/5-0-1/0-5-4 respectively? Those are the npk of GH flora series 3 part (grow/micro/bloom).

There are numerous feed charts around that call for different strength dwc solutions but id really like to know how to achieve 3-1-1 npk or 1-3-3 for that matter. Im sure theres a simple formula but am ignorant as to its whereabouts.

Id also like to be able to determine what the npk is for whatever strength nute solution i mix up of GH 3 part. Im using ro water so having to add calmag. I need to check its npk and consider it in my calculations too. I just need the secret formula.

Anyone? Tia
Good morning Amigo. :ciao:
Hope you are doing well today.
Even with an abacus and a team of boy scouts with calculators I couldn't do that math.
You would have to thin out one portion and add the next.
GH was the first nutrient I used.
Back then I just followed the schedule and it worked well.
I never tried messing with the formula.
Hope someone better at math can help.
Take care my friend. :high-five:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

My question is this: if i want my veg to run at an npk of 3-1-1, eg, how is that accomplished using nutes that are 2-1-6/5-0-1/0-5-4 respectively?

you achieve it by following the feed chart and mixing in the correct ratios.

the "formula" is printed on the back of the bottles.

it's not a secret. there are nute percentage break down spread sheets you can buy or use online. a few members here built their own. some guys even make their own nutes from base products and salts, then use a spreadsheet to determine the levels they want to feed their plants.

go have a look at @farside05 journals. he's done work on this.

Anyone? Tia

I go into how to compute it over HERE.

It's not a secret. there are nute percentage break down spread sheets you can buy or use online. a few members here built their own. some guys even make their own nutes from base products and salts, then use a spreadsheet to determine the levels they want to feed their plants.

Actually I just did that yesterday.

You want a link to it again?
i do .. i was going to wait a bit then pm you sometime. i haven't grown for ages, but think i'm running hempy with MC one more time quick soon. contemplating switching it up to a sips grow with HP in the fall, and not sure where i'm going on nutes for it.

Anyone? Tia
Hey @H20gro,

I think Farside has probably nailed it. I'll just give you my perspective... If you're using bottled liquid ferts, then just follow the directions. Keep in mind that commercial potting soils will have their own initial NPK values, which are usually far less than what's required to actually support a plant through it's lifecycle. Check out the link in my signature re: commercial potting soils.

I make my own custom soil mix, using Down to Earth organic ferts. I follow very roughly the recommended amount of each fert, in terms of cups or tbsp per gallon of soil in the pot. I add this to some homegrown compost soil, or recycled soil from my last grow. I always add a good amount of coco coir and worm castings as well. There's another link in my signature about my custom soil mix.

Happy growing! 🌱

Hey @H20gro,

I think Farside has probably nailed it. I'll just give you my perspective... If you're using bottled liquid ferts, then just follow the directions. Keep in mind that commercial potting soils will have their own initial NPK values, which are usually far less than what's required to actually support a plant through it's lifecycle. Check out the link in my signature re: commercial potting soils.

I make my own custom soil mix, using Down to Earth organic ferts. I follow very roughly the recommended amount of each fert, in terms of cups or tbsp per gallon of soil in the pot. I add this to some homegrown compost soil, or recycled soil from my last grow. I always add a good amount of coco coir and worm castings as well. There's another link in my signature about my custom soil mix.

Happy growing! 🌱
Yeah, @farside05 had some great info. As for “just follow the directions,” thats really not responsive to my inquiry. Most of us are capable of reading and following directions. Whether its the bottle that essentially calls for 3/2/1 of gro/micro/bloom in veg or 1/2/3 in bloom or the online feedchart by same company that has 3 different feeding schedules, ie, “aggressive, medium and light.” All of which are closer to 1/1/1 proportions. Oh, then theres the feedchart for rdwc or dwc or coco or soil…or ebb and flow….

Point being, i just wanted to know how to convert and farside was more than accommodating.

As for your own mix, im sure its amazing. I grow, as my name suggests, in h2o. Some experiments w coco but dwc/rdwc are my thing. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, @farside05 had some great info. As for “just follow the directions,” thats really not responsive to my inquiry. Most of us are capable of reading and following directions. Whether its the bottle that essentially calls for 3/2/1 of gro/micro/bloom in veg or 1/2/3 in bloom or the online feedchart by same company that has 3 different feeding schedules, ie, “aggressive, medium and light.” All of which are closer to 1/1/1 proportions. Oh, then theres the feedchart for rdwc or dwc or coco or soil…or ebb and flow….
Understood. I wasn't attempting to address your inquiry, because I'm guessing farside already did. I was just giving my perspective. My logic is that the companies selling the liquid nutes are going to give the best advice, because neither under-use nor over-use would make sense for them, from a marketing perspective. Perhaps they lean toward the low end, out of fear people will burn their plants. If they don't give any directions for hydro (and other grow types)... that's a different story of course. 👍

Back
Top Bottom