Veg and Flower at Once and Possible Breeding

Here To Learn

Well I have not posted on this site in quite some time but as I am about to undergo some complex plant science I decided it was time to start a new journal. This will help me to keep track of the progress of my new endeavor.

I have moved recently and thus have the privilege of creating a new flower room to go with my grow cabinet which will become my veg cabinet from now on.

The cabinet currently has a 1000 watt HPS running in a 4" ducted hood which is evacuated by a 4" inline fan. I have discontinued the use of my carbon filter in the cabinet as the plants do not smell very much at all in veg. The cabinet is 4' wide by 2' deep by 4' high plus a peaked ceiling. In the near future I will be changing out the HPS light for my 250 Watt MH light. Current temperatures when the lights are on range from 85 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using soil currently but will likely move to a DWC system at some point in the future.

My flower room measures 6' wide by 5' deep with an angled ceiling starting at 9' high at one end and ending at 11'6" at the other end. I have an 8" exhaust line run and a filtered 16" by 20" inlet. The walls and ceiling have been painted with semi gloss interior/exterior paint. The room has 3x 15amp circuits and 1x 20amp circuit to make sure that no matter how much equipment I use I will be able to pull enough amperage to run it safely. I will be using my 1000 watt HPS light in the room and will soon install a 6' light rail 3.5 to get even light distribution. I will also be installing a 10" inline fan and carbon filter for the exhaust line. later on I will move up to an 8" ducted hood to keep temperatures down.

I am currently using and intend to continue using General Hydroponics Flora series nutrients plus additional chelated minerals and vitamins. When I put plants in the flower room I will begin using liquid karma. I am using Kellog's brand potting soil and Kellog's brand garden soil which is just a soil amendment with a few added nutrients.

I have eight plants in the veg cabinet right now. One is a Hindu Kush I cloned from my last grow, it will become a mother soon. The other seven plants in the cabinet are from seeds I germinated. The seeds came from a sack of Bubba Kush I bought from a delivery service a while ago. The growth characteristics of the seven plants are extremely different with one having very slim sativa like leaves and another being a third the size of its siblings even though they were all germinated at the same time and popped roots within 4 days of each other this being the case I feel that the plants may be cross bred (Bubba Kush X Unkown). I plan to take clones of the plants and flower them to figure out which ones are male and which are female. I may keep one male to do breeding with. If I can breed a good female plant from these seven plants I may call the result Bubba's Cousin.

Now a few pictures from after I fed the plants tonight.
plants_12-28-10.jpg

sativa phenotype:
BK_Sativa_pheno12-28-10.jpg

The runt:
BK_runt_12-28-10.jpg

:peacetwo:

I just got finished transplanting all of the Bubba Kush plants except the runt due to their being root bound. I knew they were root bound because I fed them early this morning and they were droopy and light indicating they were out of liquid when the lights came on again. I had named them all BK-A trough BK-G with the big one being A and the runt being G, E is the plant that is sativa dominant in appearance.

I am going to try to keep posts of photos of the plants to once a week so that I may more easily see the growth when I go back through the posts.

Velo thanks for stopping by with your pun:thumb: but I must say that I am certain I could learn more from you than you from me.

I will be feeding the beasts after this post as they are now getting light from drinking up their transplant water. I have noticed that 4 of the Bubba Kushes have started to show signs of sexual maturity, two of them even have a few pre-flowers with pistils showing:yahoo:. I will report back with heights and who is showing their age.

I am trying to finish the new room for flowering so I will be taking clones of each plant soon to flower for sexing purposes. I will also be transplanting the Hindu Kush mother soon as I believe she will benefit from more room. I am thinking about getting some air pots though after reading a thread on this site earlier about them. I am using soil currently due to the ease of use factor but would like to get the fast growth associated with hydro. The air pots seem to be a good solution as they effectively air prune the plants roots all the way down the sides.

Ok off to feed the beasts and address the mommy to be.

After checking on the plants I have decided to transplant the Hindu Kush tonight. The others will be fed tonight.

Approximate Heights:
BK-A 12.5"
BK-B 9.5"
BK-C 9"
BK-D 10"
BK-E 10"
BK-F 9.5"
BK-G 5"

There are three BK plants showing alternating branches on the main stalk: BK-A,C,E

There are two BK plants showing pre-flowers with pistils:
BK-C,E

:peacetwo:

I just picked up some Trainwreck and Knights Templar (Cinderella 99 X Herijuana) clones . I will post some photos tonight when I post photos of the Hindu Kush and Bubba Kush. I found last night that BK-B is also showing pre-flowers with pistils making the count three, hopefully none of them will be hermaphroditic.

Here are the clones I got today. The 4 in Coco are the Knights Templar which seem to be a 45 day flowering strain from what I have read today. I guess we will see when I flower them. All of the rockwool cubes are Trainwreck.
clones_Trainwreck_and_Knights_Templar.jpg

Now for some pics post transplant.

Looking in the veg cabinet. The tall one in the back is Bubba Kush A.
inside_veg_1-5-11.jpg

All of the plants in the square white pots are Trainwreck, so is the little brown pot. The plant in the back tied down is the Hindu Kush, I am using LST to induce more branching as I am going to make it a mother.
Trainwreck_and_Hindu_Kush.jpg

The square black pot in the back is Bubba Kush G (the runt) to its right is Bubba Kush A largest of the Bubbas. To the right and slightly forward of that is Bubba Kush B. The two rows of black square pots are Trainwreck and Knights Templar.
Front to back;
Left side: Knights Templar then three Trainwreck
Right side: Three Knights Templar then one Trainwreck
Trainwreck-Knights_Templar-Bubba_Kush.jpg

Bubba Kush seen here. Front row left BK-B , next in line to right BK-C, next in line to right BK-D, in back to right of Variegated Weeping Chinese Fig BK-E (Sativa pheno), to the right of that is BK-F
Bubba_Kush25.jpg

I will be topping the Bubbas soon to clone them and then sex them in the flower room. I am going to get my new fan and filter tomorrow then I will be setting up the light. I took the 1000 watt HPS out of the veg box tonight and replaced it with the 250 watt MH. Unfortunately the lower wattage light is not keeping the veg box warm enough so I have put a 750 watt heater by the intake. That means I am still pulling 1000 watts. I think I will just move up to a 400 or 600 watt MH soon and hopefully will stay at a more reasonable temperature.

I got my new 10 inch fan and filter today so the flower room is pretty close to finished. I set up one of my 3 bulb t8 panels for the tops I took off the Bubba Kush plants tonight. I dipped them in rooting hormone and put them in soil, I will be vegging them for about 4 days then I will change the lighting schedule to 12/12 to sex the plants. I will post pics tomorrow when I am not so tired.

Pics:

My big 10 inch :)
10_inch_fan_and_filter.jpg

My 1000 watt HPS. This will be setup when I get a light mover or when I have more plants ready to flower.
1k_HPS.jpg

My setup for sexing the Bubba Kush tops.
Setup_for_sexing_clones.jpg

Bubba Kush plants prior to topping.
pre_cut.jpg

Bubba Kush plants after topping.
Post_cutting.jpg

Bubba Kush tops in soil. I have added sandwich bags over the top of the cups and cut the corners off of them to keep the humidity up but also let the tops breath.
Bubba_Kush_cuttings.jpg

They go from BK-A through BK-F from left to right and back to front.

Enjoy

The flower room is set for the light to be on from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. The first 12 hr dark period will end in a couple of hours. The Bubba Kush plants that were topped have healed and are starting to show a lot of branching growth. I will be taking the plastic bags off of the top of the cuttings tonight.

Cool cool, i am looking into buying some reg santa seeds from singleseedcentre and some speedy gonzalez, both auto strains and doing some breeding myself im here 2 learn

highandwired, BlazinUSA thanks for stopping in. I know things are slow but once I get both spaces filled up things should be more interesting. I will be checking in on your grows today.

I checked on the plants a few minutes ago. The plants in the veg room are all doing well. Even the Trainwreck that looked like it was going to die seems to be making a comeback. The Bubba Kush plants are branching like crazy and should be some monster bushes when they are flowered.

However after almost 2 days without the plastic bags over them the Bubba Kush tops were looking droopy/sad so I sprayed them down with a fine spray and put the bags back over them. Hopefully they will all push some good roots out in the next few days so that I don't have to worry about keeping them covered.

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine gave me a bag of trim the other day. It was probably about a half pound of trim (50% Bubblegum, the other 50% was probaly Sour Diesel, OG Kush and Hindu Kush (my cut)). I was able to extract 23.7 grams of bubble hash from the trim. I will try to take some pictures of it and post them before I use it all. The Bubblegum smell and taste is quite potent.:)

The pictures of the tops under the florescent fixture and the big 10" fan plus filter are in my flower room. It is still under construction, I need to get the light mover that my friend has offered to let me use before I mount my 1000 watt HPS. I probably wont start using my HPS until I have more plants to flower anyway. right now I am just sexing my Bubba Kush plants. I am trying to take pictures of the plants only once per week this journal so the growth is more noticeable unless I do something that is a drastic change like when I topped the Bubba Kush plants.

Ok bubble hash pics. There is probably 14-18 grams left.

This pic is from my 100 micron bag meaning every thing is between 220 and 100 microns:
100_micron.jpg

This one is from my 55 micron bag so between 100 and 55 microns:
55_micron.jpg

The 35 micron bag only resulted in a gram so I have not added any photos of it as there is just a pinch left.

enjoy.

Thank you highandwired. I make my hash using cold water extraction bags also known as bubble bags. These bags are a set of finer and finer meshes. The largest bag known as the "work bag" has 220 micron holes. My set then goes to 100 micron, 55 micron and 35 micron. First I put my bags in from 35 micron through 220 micron in a five gallon bucket then I add ice, trim, ice, trim until almost full. After that I add water until it becomes even with the level of the trim. At this point a lot of people use cake mixers or for larger setups they use paint/cement mixer attachments for drills. I on the other hand prefer to use a spoon to mix my trim/ice/water mixture. In this way I get mostly trichomes with very little plant matter making for higher quality hash. After thoroughly mixing the trim I remove the work bag and squeeze most of the moisture into the bucket which is now all water, bags and trichomes as the trim and ice stay trapped in the "work bag". Next each bag is removed and let to drain into the bucket leaving you with finer and finer grades of hash as you get to smaller and smaller meshes. After this I remove the majority of the remaining water from the trichomes by using a rag on the outside of the bags and squeezing the bulging area at the bottom of the bags where the trichomes are sitting as a thick slurry. I then turn my hash out of the bags onto cardboard that is marked so I can keep track of each grade of hash. I break the hash up on the cardboard and let it sit over night to dry further then I put it in wax paper which seems to wick the remaining moisture away pretty quickly. I hope that was understandable if not then let me know and I will try to make it more clear.
:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom