Very late planting?

nickeluring

I'll get back home at the beginning of September. I was thinking instead of planting autos, I could just plant some photo seeds. I expect them to start flowering very early and not get so big, which is fine. I'm thinking they should grow similarly to autos if planted this late. I normally grow autos but I have a bunch of different photo seeds that I won't be using otherwise.
I'm in southern Spain where most days are sunny.

Has anyone tried planting this late?

I am doing my first outdoor grow this summer. I started the seeds indoors back in April, and the plants went in the ground in early June. Where I am located (southern Ontario, Canada) I expect them to flip to flowering around mid-August. That will give me about 6-8 weeks to finish before harvest and the first frost in mid/late October. Given this tight timeline, I decided to use "fast" genetics - not quite an auto, but faster to finish than a regular photoperiod.

Where are you located? When is your first frost expected? Depending on those answers, I might be a bit worried about starting from seed so late and then finishing up before frost. Of course, if you are in a completely different climate, then things might be just fine. Hope that helps.

Hey Bard,
I'm in southern Spain. No frost, the coldest I've seen is 8 degrees C in January, otherwise the winter temps are about 12 - 16 degrees C. I kind of expect the plants I plant to finish in November-December. If the weather gets too bad, I'll move the plants indoors and fire up some cob lights, but I only expect to do this if any of the plants hasn't finished in December.

Hey Bard,
I'm in southern Spain. No frost, the coldest I've seen is 8 degrees C in January, otherwise the winter temps are about 12 - 16 degrees C. I kind of expect the plants I plant to finish in November-December. If the weather gets too bad, I'll move the plants indoors and fire up some cob lights, but I only expect to do this if any of the plants hasn't finished in December.

Nice! I'm jealous of your location, not just for the growing season! I don't know if I can be much help with dates, etc. But if frost isn't an issue - lucky you! - then the next thing I would think about is daylight hours. Since you are still north of the equator, days will be relatively short and getting shorter already when you plant in September, and then start getting longer again in late December. I suspect (but I'm not sure) that your photoperiod plants will want to go straight into flower as soon as they are able in late Sept or early October. So I imagine that you will get some kind of harvest, but with a really short/nonexistent veg period, they will likely be pretty small, just as you suspected. As days start getting longer again in Dec and Jan, the risk is that they might try to flip back into veg? Worth a shot! Good luck with it.

Yes, a short/non existing veg period is what I expect. I don't mind them being small since I've got plenty in my jars already, but I do like a good variety, so if I can add 5-6 strains to my current stash it'll give me more to choose between. I love to browse through my different strains when it's time for a smoke and choose the right one for this very moment. :ganjamon:

Yes, a short/non existing veg period is what I expect. I don't mind them being small since I've got plenty in my jars already, but I do like a good variety, so if I can add 5-6 strains to my current stash it'll give me more to choose between. I love to browse through my different strains when it's time for a smoke and choose the right one for this very moment. :ganjamon:

Nice!

One thing you should consider though is that if they don’t get enough veg time then they’ll flower later, so you’ll be looking at late harvest. But if weather’s not an issue it’s gonna be ok.

One thing you should consider though is that if they don’t get enough veg time then they’ll flower later, so you’ll be looking at late harvest. But if weather’s not an issue it’s gonna be ok.

Thanks, I'll keep them outdoors as long as I can, then I'll move them indoors if necessary.

If you do end of planting them, have them on a 12/12 schedule, such as 7:00PM-7:00AM, every day. You will get to harvest alot faster.

Thanks, I'll have them outdoors, so the sun will decide what light schedule they'll get. Perhaps they'll get some extra light indoors as well.

Back
Top Bottom