Veteran needs mmj

jimb0

I have been surfing the web sporadically for months trying to help out a friend and ex-coworker that should have access to mmj. He is an injured veteran from Vietnam and his sole health care is through Veterans Affairs. The VA can remove healthcare if their patients use "drugs" so my friend will not ask for a mmj recommendation at the VA.

After reading a post on the THCF's compassionate doctors I wanted to ask a question. Compassionate Doctors - Northern Colorado

Can the recommendation be obtained without informing the VA? It seems my friend can just get his diagnosis paperwork and keep the VA in the dark on his medical use.

Thanks

If the doctor prescribes him the medication, then it is no longer an illicit drug which I am sure is what the VA is against. Furthermore, anything discussed between him and his doctor is strictly confidential and none of the VA's business.

Be sure to thank your friend for his service. :peace:

He goes to the VA for all his medical needs, so his doctor/s are there. What I understood, from the link i provided, is that he can obtain his medical records from the VA and then proceed to a mmj friendly doctor. If there is no communication between the recommending doctor and the VA then he should not have any worries, but he doesn't want to risk losing the only health insurance he's got.

Unfortunately the VA is a federal organization, so despite medical marijuana being legal in Colorado, cannabis is still a drug under their laws.

He goes to the VA for all his medical needs, so his doctor/s are there. What I understood, from the link i provided, is that he can obtain his medical records from the VA and then proceed to a mmj friendly doctor. If there is no communication between the recommending doctor and the VA then he should not have any worries, but he doesn't want to risk losing the only health insurance he's got.

Unfortunately the VA is a federal organization, so despite medical marijuana being legal in Colorado, cannabis is still a drug under their laws.

What you are saying makes perfect sense. If he must circumvent the VA to obtain the medicine he needs then he should and is well within his right to do so.

I think it is downright abhorrent that this country would deny a man the medication he needs after having fought to defend it. :peace:

He can have his medical records sent to a cannabis friendly doctor. If he has been diagnosed with any of the qualifying ailments within the last 3 years the new doctor will be able to prescribe, MMJ. I don't think that the new Dr. can even talk about you with the VA unless you sign a waiver (patient confidentiality laws).
Best Luck!
GMG

The best bet is for him to get a copy of his records from the VA and deliver them to his MMJ doctor in person. The downside for VA patients is they run blood tests all the time for different prescription medications to check liver and kidney function. If you pop postive for MJ you will lose all your medical benefits. You have to weigh the risks to see if its worth it. There are ways to play the game. Remember blood tests only work for about 3 days after smoking, so try and set your doctor appointments at the VA atleast 3 days after toking. UA's are tougher because you are expected to test positive for whatever prescriptions you're on. But I've seen where people will buy some synthetic urine and add a little of there own urine just so they test positive for the prescription drugs but not for MJ. It takes a lot of personal experimenting though to get the levels right.

does the va do random drug testing of patients?
are patients informed of what tests they are having?

i agree, the va need not know and a prescribing doctor would not be prescribing if he wasn't sympathetic. i even wonder if you'd need the records from the va. perhaps the exam and questions they ask would be enough. i've never been to a mmj doctor so i don't know.

I don't know the details behind the VA situation. I can tell you this though. Look up the THCF or one of several other medical offices that will provide you with the needed doctors recommendation.

Regarding the THCF: I have no idea if they are any better or worse than any of the other places in the Denver area that will provide the needed recommendation. I just know I got mine through them and it was quick and easy.

As far as the VA testing him, I wouldn't think that would happen except in certain circumstances. When you visit the recommending doctor it is confidential. The VA doesn't really need to be involved. Keep in mind, it is legal. And if it is giving your friend relief, then it is something to pursue.

Make an appointment, take any records you have. Take any medications you are taking, and that should be enough. My doctor at the clinic took the time to talk to me about my epilepsy and what strains would work best. When I asked my mainstream doctor about marijuana, he just gave me a far off stare and walked away. I am in the county health system, so I understand about drug testing. We did have a friend that was tested at the VA, but was put there for a drug addiction.

You'll find an abundance of info here. I hope you'll keep posting and give us updates when you can. Best wishes to you and your friend.

Peace and mmj :rollit:

Another way for our tortured vets to play this game is to try and get a vet doctor to prescribe marinol. That is a federally legal drug and then you don't have to worry about passing drug tests.

Hi JimbO. I copied this info from sensible co.
"If your application is approved, you will be issued a medical marijuana card and your name will be added to the confidential Colorado medical marijuana registry. The registry cannot be accessed by anyone other than law enforcement agencies for the sole purpose of verifying that you are a licensed medical marijuana card holder."
I've been told that the computer that holds this info is a stand-alone type system, so little to no attacks by hackers. If he still is hesitant, remind him how non caring the VA is to his needs. My dad died in the Denver VA hospital after a long hard fight, and their only treatment was morphine IV.
I would be more than happy to help him if he gets his card. It's not an option for me to stray out of the guidelines set for MMJ use. I grow my 3&3 plants at a time and rarely go without. I personally could not smoke 3 plants harvest before the next 3 were done, but my friends always want to help me try.:goof: Most caregivers offer medicine free of charge if you let them care for you. Try to find one that is not about the money and more about the patient. Teach your friend to care for himself, card or not, if he has just a little space and he'll not have to pay for meds ever again!;) Tell him not to be so paranoid, it just might be the strain of bud he's currently smoking! :hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom