Water/nutes retention problem?

Hebrewdiver

Greeting everyone... I'm growing autos in potting soil that I added perlite and worm casing to in 3gal fabric pots. My issue and I hope my fellow farmers can help me, is when I water or feed the water come right out. I can hardly put in a quart before It's draining right back out into the drain pan causing it to over flow. Is this good or is it bad? I feel like I'm wasting nutes. I have moisture meters in the soil and they practically always read close to dry? Should I leave the runoff in the drain pan and let it wick back into the plants. My girls are 4 weeks old now and looking pretty healthy. I really can use your opinions. Thanks in advance

Your soil has dried out so much it no longer breaks the surface tension of the water to get absorbed
You need to drench the soil, then repeat an hour later or dunk/shower
The second time it will absorb much more as the water spreads into the medium
Yes, leave 1/2" in the tray overnight - if it gets quickly soaked up top it's a sign the soil is dry
If it doesn't get soaked up, drain it off

I can hardly put in a quart before It's draining right back out into the drain pan causing it to over flow.
The soil has gotten so dry that it has become what many botanists would call "hydrophobic". Or the soil has developed a phobia about being touched by the water.

What Roy mentions is one way of getting the soil back to a more normal condition.

When it happens to me I put a small amount of water on the soil and go do something else for awhile. The water will work its way down into the soil. I come back 20 minutes to a few hours later and do it again. It might take 3 or 4 attempts before the soil is ready to react like it should when it is watered.

Yes, the water in the saucer can be left there and it will get absorbed by the bottom layer of soil. Only problem is that we could end up with a condition where the soil at the top is properly moist and the soil at the bottom is nice and wet but the soil in between these two layers is still very dry.

Have you had a chance to read through the thread called something like "How to Water a Potted Plant". Not sure of the exact name at the moment but that might help you find it. It is a long thread and just reading the last page of messages will not provide all the info. Going to have to speed read the whole thing.

Thanks farmers I have just finished trying what smokingWings and Growing suggested and will try Azimuth suggestion tomorrow.
A drop or two, maybe 3, per pint of water is all that is needed.

I wanted to bring up that since you have already started to do a slow water routine you will not learn much by trying to use some soap on the same pots of soil. Doing two tests or experiments at a time on the same plants or pots of soil will make it close to impossible to tell which one worked.

A drop or two, maybe 3, per pint of water is all that is needed.

I wanted to bring up that since you have already started to do a slow water routine you will not learn much by trying to use some soap on the same pots of soil. Doing two tests or experiments at a time on the same plants or pots of soil will make it close to impossible to tell which one worked.
Yeah, I just don't have the patience for extended watering cycles. Some people enjoy the marathon sessions that can last for hours, but not me. The soap trick shortens that dramatically. But that's also another reason I grow in SIPs. Watering literally takes as long as it takes to pour the water down the fill tube.

Thanks will once be enough to rehydrate the soil ?
Depends on what you mean by once.

Usually I put on a bit of water and go away to do something else. Then I come back in 20 minutes up to several hours later to do it again. I might do it to days in a row. Sometimes twice in one day is enough.

It is one of those things that we should be able to get used to after a few times. Once we are used to it then it is easy and just part of what gardeners can do without giving much thought to it.

I mean after I do the method suggested will I have to repeat every time I water or feed.
No.

It is something that would have to be done if the soil is allowed to get way to dry. If it gets too dry then you are back in the situation that you mentioned in the first msg where the water seems to come right out the bottom as soon as you start to pour it. As long as you keep the soil reasonably moist all will be good.

Don't forget to go through the thread mentioned earlier. The link to it is in @Azimuth's posting in msg #4.

Greeting again...After trying the solutions above I am still get rapid runoff into the catch pan. I think I may have added to much perlite during my soil mix. I can pour in a quart and within 10 seconds its running into the catch pan. Is there something I can do to correct the perlite issue? I'm gonna try dunking one more time. Where I leave the water in the catch pan it is gone the next day. I appreciate y'all for all the help and suggestion.

Greeting again...After trying the solutions above I am still get rapid runoff into the catch pan. I think I may have added to much perlite during my soil mix. I can pour in a quart and within 10 seconds its running into the catch pan. Is there something I can do to correct the perlite issue? I'm gonna try dunking one more time. Where I leave the water in the catch pan it is gone the next day. I appreciate y'all for all the help and suggestion.
You could do two things.

First you could find a larger container that holds water and dunk the entire root ball in it for say 5-10 mins, then take it out and tip the pot so it drains properly (perched water table and all that),

-or-

Second you could water with a plant mister. Probably one you can pump up rather than a trigger squeeze 'cause, you know, that'll get old fast. :cheesygrinsmiley:

After trying the solutions above I am still get rapid runoff into the catch pan. I think I may have added to much perlite during my soil mix. I can pour in a quart and within 10 seconds its running into the catch pan.
How much Perlite did you mix in?

Perlite will hold some water but no where near as much as something like Vermiculite or Peat Moss.

Back
Top Bottom