Watering until runoff

Canachris

hi everyone, I'm growing in Coast of Maine Stonington blend organic soil. I'm wondering what the reason for watering until runoff is. If I'm using an organic soil and I'm not adding any nutes to the water is it really necessary to water until runoff ? Won't I be flushing out the nutrients in the soil ? I did water till I saw the water just start to seep out the drain holes at the bottom. just curious. Thanks for any and all input

there are a few reasons : it makes sure water and nutrients gets to the bottom where the majority of your roots will be. it keeps the media from going hydrophobic. it also pulls oxygen to the roots and keeps the plants from suffocating.

the watering to 10% runoff is to ensure that it all happens. most times it's fine if you are just getting a little.

hope this doesn't sound to wacked-out, but I use my dip-stick to make worm holes. Does that give any oxygen to the roots. The containers weigh about 30lbs dry there is no way in my condition I could lift em in an out of a bigger bucket of water

IMG_20240208_095750030.jpg

IMG_20240208_095816714.jpg

Where possible, I actually dunk the whole pot until bubbles stop so I know it's fully wet, no dry spots
Lifting the pot out of the water sucks in maximum amount of fresh air

it's a manual flood and drain method. i remember seeing a similar outdoor macro version yrs ago with plants in huge tubs planted in burlap bags. the grower would flood the tub every 3 - 4 days for a few hours then drain it out to a vegetable garden.

i know 2 growers who bottom water daily and will dunk them if they are leaving town for 2-3 days.

hope this doesn't sound to wacked-out, but I use my dip-stick to make worm holes. Does that give any oxygen to the roots. The containers weigh about 30lbs dry there is no way in my condition I could lift em in an out of a bigger bucket of water

poking holes from the top could potentially damage the roots. it might help but i'd assume it's negligible. i wouldn't worry so much about it.

if you are hand feeding an airpot or fabric pot would probably be more to your liking. the fabric pots come with handles you may find useful.

are those square buckets from an autopot type system ?

No the square containers are just chepo home depot. I liked em cause they have lil square legs in each corner that keeps the container from just sitting in the bottom of the drip tray. plus they are 8 gallon size. and I can fit 3 of them in the same space that 2 round containers of the same size take

No the square containers are just chepo home depot. I liked em cause they have lil square legs in each corner that keeps the container from just sitting in the bottom of the drip tray. plus they are 8 gallon size. and I can fit 3 of them in the same space that 2 round containers of the same size take

hard sides can maximize your space use but often result in a smaller plant vs the amount of media used. you'll find greater development from a container that allows air from the sides.

early on we used square buckets to maximize space use on a med grow yrs ago. we were gonna buy a bunch of purpose built buckets, but got a deal on large office wastebaskets, and simply drilled holes in them.

I use square pots for the same reason, just smaller pots of coco so I can dunk in a 10L bucket
Top watering a 5L I'll get run-off after maybe 1.5-2 litres of water; dunking soaks up more like 3L

you might like the wastebaskets. they are a little under 5L and are softer plastic. it wouldn't be hard to cut or drill some holes in them and cover with mesh to make your own air pot. a few members have had success modifying similar buckets.

Back
Top Bottom