Water/nutes retention problem?

Don’t use detergent soap use a natural non detergent soap
How much Perlite did you mix in?

Perlite will hold some water but no where near as much as something like Vermiculite or Peat Moss.
No really sure but a lot maybe 5-6 cups in a 25 quart bag and then added a little more…lol. I used half the bag on my first grow and it drained really fast so I water it about a quart every day. Let the rest sit for about 4 months waiting to harvest. That soil is what I’m in now with the drainage issues. They seem to be growing good. I’m using a sprayer to feed and water about a quart a day. Hopefully after the roots build up it will slow the drainage. I just don’t want to over water/feed.

78E13C88-39E3-4666-802F-7276AE386E5B.jpeg

41F98090-B062-49B6-B158-6DA7958D7109.jpeg

No really sure but a lot maybe 5-6 cups in a 25 quart bag and then added a little more…lol. I used half the bag on my first grow and it drained really fast so I water it about a quart every day.
Five or six cups worth in a 6 gallon bag of soil mix is not all that much, guessing maybe 5% to 6% of the total.

Judging by the color of the water in the saucers I have to now wonder if the soil is way too wet and cannot hold any more so it is running through. Sort of like what happens during a "flush" of the growing mix.

The plants do look healthy so that means there is a bit of leeway while you try to figure out what is happening.

I was reading over your post and if you’re giving them almost a qt before run off that is plenty for a plant of that size. Just watch the plant, water and the leaves stand up, when the plant gets thirsty the leaves will start to droop, I only give these plants a gal of water every 2-3 days and there 20 times the size , 5.5 ft Tall and almost 4 ft across

105AC11C-8073-4562-BBA6-C4007F0DEB04.jpeg

I only give these plants a gal of water every 2-3 days and there 20 times the size , 5.5 ft Tall and almost 4 ft across
Nice looking plants. I wish I could do that in my backyard but to keep the city happy the plants cannot be visible to the public. Two sides of the yard are open-view to people walking by or pulling into the parking lot behind.

As for the water, you plants look like they are directly in the ground. The roots can grow out to the sides for 6 or more feet looking for water. And some of the roots can grow several feet down. For those of us with plants in pots we have to keep in mind that all the roots are limited to the pot which is a closed environment.

Back
Top Bottom