Water Softeners and salt issues for an indoor grow

cryodude

Hey guys, i don't get a ton of visits on my grow journal but it was brought to my attention that water softeners are bad for indoor grow cause of toxic salt build up. I checked on my particular system and the salt content of my treated water is like 525-550 milligrams per gal.. not very much, but an issue possibly for growing in 5-7 gal containers over 4 months??? Also the ph on my water is 8.1 to 8.6 depending on the day.. that is why i use vinegar, white and apple depending on what is in the pantry to get my water to a ph of 6-6.4 when i water. it's an organic super soil so i know salts can be a really bad thing.

Appreciate some feedback.. and here is a couple picts of my girls.. pretty healthy, 25 days into flower. been in these containers since Dec 3rd.. so 60 days so far
sensi_star_1_cola_crystal_yummy_2-3-14JPG.JPG
bubba_kush_bud_close_up_2-3-14.JPG
sensi_star_2_fuzzy_close_up_2-1-14.jpg
sensi_star_1_starting_wk_4_flower_2-1-14.jpg

Hiya Cryodude :ciao:

This issue came up at an event we do bi-weekly, and we all came to the conclusion that it's advisable to stay away from water softeners for the salt build-up reason you sited.

I know many houses with water softeners sometimes have a tap in a location before the water reaches the softener. (My pre-softener tap is in the corner of my basement where the water pipes first enter my house - I didn't know it existed for the longest time. :laughtwo: This same tap also feeds the outside faucet, which allows me to water the plants in my yard with unsoftened water.) Have you checked the pipes around your softener to see if there are any taps? (Seems obvious, I know, but some people don't realize they're sometimes there.)

Have a great day!

Hey Dresney, ya i think it's potentially an issue as well. My salt content is negligible, but i am going to get a water test done at an environmental lab and see exactly what i do have. I don't have a faucet anywhere that is not part of the softener system. all water for our house runs through it except for the underground sprinkler systems. Although i have to say all my small plants that are in little containers are doing famously well thus far and they don't have the advantage of 7-9 gals of soil to help with build up of salts. I should know by the end of the week. If it turns out to be a problem i'll be forced to do an RO in the garage. I just hate wasting all the water, special with the drought we are facing in the west.. sucks..

i may try and pick a couple of brains in the ag department at the university as well..

Actually CH, i think the plumbing cost cause you have to go under the hose to be able to tie another faucet in before the softener would probably not be cheaper than just setting up a small RO for 10 gals at a time from an existing faucet in the garage.. appreciate the idea though. i'm going to get my water tested next week anyhow just so i know what is and isn't in it. Only thing i'm 100% sure about is no chlorine or bromine in the water. that is removed 100%..before it gets to the RO in the kitchen for the sink and fridge so that RO doesn't really remove a lot of stuff. this new one if i need it will be the same way in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom