Waterfarm 8 Pack - What do folks think?

Just to throw my 2 cents in. Ive got the waterfarm and agree that it does work but there is 1 fundemental flaw, The resovoir is only 2 gallons, I have to refill every 2 days. Dont get me wrong, it works...but too labor intensive. my pics are in there

Yeah each res is 2 gal, but the main res holds 13 gals, which shouldnt have to be filled for 3-4 days. I use 2 one controller on the bottom with the float valve, and one on top which is the fill res which holds 13 gals of water. EaSY Sleazy. WAAAY too easy, I just have a hose and spray the h20 right into the res. when cleaning i use a manual pump to get the water out.

Do you have this system? Im just saying that unless your using only 1-2 farms and the 13 gallon add on thing you will still have the same problem. I dont know about you but im using 3.5 ltrs per day. do the math.

who...............ME? if you are talking to me, then, YES! I have 2 of em. meaning , 16 . both run off a controller. using the same solution, not separate. and no my ph does not differ. Not sure if you undertand.

It is true. The waterfarm 8 pack is not a recircualting system unless you get the circulation kit. The system works well without the kit tho. All the separate modules stay at the same ppm, ec, and ph. Nutes just have to be premixed before adding to the master res. It is a common first timers mistake to add the nutes to the master res after the water. This does not spread the nutrient solution evenly through out the system. Also draining is a bit of a chore as it takes a while for the water level to even out. I found it easyer to use an inline water pump which was placed over the bottem hole with the T fitting. This made it very easy and fast to both empty and fill the system. I love the general hydroponics waterfarm. It really does the job and it does so with great reliability.

We've pretty much changed ours completely around.....I hate those little red buckets inside the bigger ones......root rot problems galore. We switched to 8 inch net pots inside the tan buckets and get much better results. We DO recirculate the system and add extra aereation (sp?) but so far besides five gallon buckets we haven't found anything that really works better for larger plants.

I use the Waterfarms and don't mind them. I used to use a homemade ebb &flow and just got tired of fixing everything. I started with one, added another and grows have been great. Never experience root rot or anything, maybe it's diff. environment, nutes, who knows? I now run six and will prob. go to 8 HOWEVER, I have heard the brain/controller does have issues if you do not get the recirc upgrade kit. The ph, nutes etc. can be out of whack without it. I prob. won't go to it. No matter what system you use it's work. My friends use the other system with the big drum, they say it's alot of work. It's the joy of gardening and the end of grow we do it for. Find something that works and have fun with it. Personal pref. is everything, with everything. Newbie (on this forum) anyway. Would love to see pics of conversions. Would prob. help everyone. Pass the knowledge!

I was kinda confused until I read this a couple times I use this system and was thinking of getting something different until I saw the link about the upgrade kit , thanks for the info on that @MK Ultraman I also called the nearest 2 hydro shops one of which the setups were bought at and they had never even heard of the upgrade kit so I went ahead and ordered a couple of them online, this site has been of great help over the years you guys are the shit :grinjoint:

If I were to start over I might go with something a bit bigger but my friend that got me started set me up with 2 W/F 8 packs so instead of getting rid of them for now I am getting the upgrade kits hopefuly they ship fast my babys are almost ready to jump into bigger pots ;)

I have the WaterFarm, just switched this grow and I am loving it and so are my girls. I got them as 4 inch clones on Jan 23. Today, Feb 23, they are 26 to 30" tall and I have gone to 12-12, changing bulbs and nutrients. The drip tubes do get plugged up once in a while, but it is easy to rinse them and plug them in again. Just be sure to run FLORA KLEEN and you'll get great results. Using organics does tend to plug them up after 5 to 7 days, but I change everything once a week.

eventually the roots will fill up the red bucket, for me it is rare to have the drip rings clog, just make sure you chek em daily, and they are dripping, more often than not the air tube in the bottom gets clogged and doesnt allow air to feed the solution , then you have a dead plant.

wow the feedback was amazing and appreciate all the comments. I decided to stick with soil growing over the last year for a number of reasons but am finally ready to go to hydro. I think I'm going to go with a 12 site ebb and flow system since I was able to get a little experience with those over the last year through some friends, I really like what they have to offer. I was without home internet service since Jan 2009 so apologize for falling completely off. I plan to stick around this time as well as create a grow log. cheers

wow the feedback was amazing and appreciate all the comments. I decided to stick with soil growing over the last year for a number of reasons but am finally ready to go to hydro. I think I'm going to go with a 12 site ebb and flow system since I was able to get a little experience with those over the last year through some friends, I really like what they have to offer. I was without home internet service since Jan 2009 so apologize for falling completely off. I plan to stick around this time as well as create a grow log. cheers

If you go with CAP ebb and grow you will be happy. I love my 2 :)

I used the Water Farm for 4 grows. I too had lots of trouble with the tubes plugging up with salts, when I used all organics the drip tubes plugged up with slimey matter. I just got the Ebb and Grow system and am hoping to avoid all the problems I had with the Water Farm system. good luck

check out:
4inch PVC Aero/NFT 4x5 SCROG - 1200 Watts

the more i think about it the more i think I'm going to do a bigger version of something like this. Seems to provide the most yield for what you put into it. I say that from the dozens of journals I've read using similar techniques and this one consistently seems to give a bit more.

someone please chime in if you feel otherwise.

420fied has his game on point. However I think hes going to the EbbnGrow shortly.Hes one of the extremely experienced guys here....I should know
If he does do a bigger version it wont disapoint. I like the ebb system because it produce alot and its cheap

I keep thinking about changing to a easier to flush system but have been having nothing but good results so like they say if it ain't broke right :grinjoint:

Picture0037.jpg

I keep thinking about changing to a easier to flush system but have been having nothing but good results so like they say if it ain't broke right :grinjoint:

Picture0037.jpg

I have been thinking about a better way to flush these individual buckets, each bucket is left with an inch of nutes after draining the res, so, i use a shut off valve in each section of hose, shut them off when changing then, replace the bucket either remove it and wash it or put in a new clean one. ALso, I have found the roots get toxic residues, I use a ph'd pray bottle and powerwash the residue off the roots, the plants love it.

That is a good idea with the valve, I drain as much as I can till it quits coming back to the resevoir then rinse each and suck the rest out with my wet dry vac ,I will try the root spraying this sounds good ;)

The hydrofarm is not a true ebb and flo set up. It's a recirc drip set up in reality. ebb and flow uses flooding not dripping to feed. A person with reasonable mechanical know how could build one of these types of sysems for about half of what it costs.
I myself would dump the rings and split off the lines to make two drippers per plant. If one clogs the second one still feeds the plant. Been there, done that.lol

One could build a DIY, but how much does it cost to acquire UV treated, food grade plastics in the sizes comparable? Then you've got all the man hours for fitting, the grommets, tubing, etc etc.

I actually did a comparison and I challenge you to build a Waterfarm module for less than the $30 dollars you can find them for on the internet. Even with shipping it's, its still a great price vs. building it.

Back
Top Bottom