Watering question

Makeminefullgrown

So I have 2 feminized diesel plants that are currently 6 weeks from seed. I’ve tried to train and open them up for a flat canopy.
Growing in Coco amended w/ dry organics.
I’ve done this grow before and it turned out great. Last run I grew 3 plants and it got crowded in my 2’x6’x8’ space. So this time i opted for only 2 plants but using bigger pots.
I just transplanted both girls and had intended on using 7gal pots. But after putting the first one into the 7gal container I changed my mind somewhat and am using a 5gal for plant #2.
I am not an experienced indoor grower and only have a few indoor grows under my belt…..I grew a bunch outdoors many yrs ago but that doesn’t help me much here.
My question is about the plant in this super tall 7 gal pot.
It was in a 1 gal and had slowed down growth, presumably from outgrowing its home.
How do I start off watering this huge medium?? There’s only a couple inches of new mix around the sides but a ton of room underneath. Eventually, with this medium, I’ll water until it’s close to runoff and stop. Then I’ll let it dry out a bit and repeat. With the dry organics, I want to keep it somewhat moist but not watered down.
When I dropped the plant in it had just been watered and I made sure the new mix was moist…….Should I let it dry out a good bit and then water the entire 7 gal medium ? Or gradually increase ?
The design of these pots is making me question the most basic aspect of growing.
It’s weird that that the 7 gal has the same circumference as the 5gal……
Anyway, somebody has to have some words of wisdom here.
Many thanks.
6DB541F1-54A1-49C5-8BA4-4D56B0A783FA.jpeg

Hello @Makeminefullgrown , good question. After transplanting and you have fully moistened soil you will want to allow the medium to get fairly dry before watering again. Watering plants is like a dance with the devil on a pale moon night. It is a delicate balance and you have to allow your partner to lead or you'll step on her feet. Listen to her. Watch her move. Even lift her up in the air! Don't force the water upon her when she's still drinking healthy. You must understand both what the roots want and how they behave to fully optimize how they feed the plant. When allowing the medium to dry a bit the roots will search for more water and reach through the medium. Allow the roots to reach through the medium a bit before giving it more water. A good habit to get into is lifting your container and getting a feel for the water weight. Water is much heaver than the soil. When your medium is fully wet your container will be it's heaviest. As the plant drinks and breaths the soil will become dryer and lighter. Water when the container becomes light. After practicing this you will be able to feel day after day how much your plant is drinking. I actually recommend droughting. It must be done carefully. Maybe two or three times during the grow, allow the soil to dry and keep drying until the plant actually wilts. Most of the leaves will droop and it looks horribly sad. Watering after allowing some of the leaves to droop you will notice an explosion of growth. The roots have most likely extended as far as they can and are ready to work. Do not allow the soil to remain dry for too long. The process of allowing the medium to dry allows the roots to extend further into the medium. 7 gallons of medium will feed a very large plant. I hope that helps and let us know if you have further questions. Watering and feeding is the easiest thing to screw up but when you get it dialed in the magic starts.

Hello @Makeminefullgrown , good question. After transplanting and you have fully moistened soil you will want to allow the medium to get fairly dry before watering again. Watering plants is like a dance with the devil on a pale moon night. It is a delicate balance and you have to allow your partner to lead or you'll step on her feet. Listen to her. Watch her move. Even lift her up in the air! Don't force the water upon her when she's still drinking healthy. You must understand both what the roots want and how they behave to fully optimize how they feed the plant. When allowing the medium to dry a bit the roots will search for more water and reach through the medium. Allow the roots to reach through the medium a bit before giving it more water. A good habit to get into is lifting your container and getting a feel for the water weight. Water is much heaver than the soil. When your medium is fully wet your container will be its heaviest. As the plant drinks and breaths the soil will become dryer and lighter. Water when the container becomes light. After practicing this you will be able to feel day after day how much your plant is drinking. I actually recommend droughting. It must be done carefully. Maybe two or three times during the grow, allow the soil to dry and keep drying until the plant actually wilts. Most of the leaves will droop and it looks horribly sad. Watering after allowing some of the leaves to droop you will notice an explosion of growth. The roots have most likely extended as far as they can and are ready to work. Do not allow the soil to remain dry for too long. The process of allowing the medium to dry allows the roots to extend further into the medium. 7 gallons of medium will feed a very large plant. I hope that helps and let us know if you have further questions. Watering and feeding is the easiest thing to screw up but when you get it dialed in the magic starts.
I hear u….I have no idea why I decided to mess with something that wasn’t broken.
My last run, which was my 3rd ever and 1st in coco w/dry ferts, went exceedingly well.
3 plants, all made it to the finish line and yielded almost a lb of top shelf smoke….that has my seasoned smoker friends raving about the flavor and smoothness.
So, naturally I decide to change things from 5gal fabric pots to 7gal plastics.
Go figure.
I think I’ll let them go to the dry side before giving any more water……then proceed just I would in smaller pots. I guess it’ll take longer for the 7gal to need watering again…..which makes sense.
Thanks for the input and great analogy.

We like to tinker and experiment. I respect trying new things just because it's fun not because it's right or wrong. I have about 30 years experience and I still try new crap. I have some ideas for my next grow that I will be trying for the first time. Just because everything worked on the last grow doesn't mean you can still improve. If you develop a good root system in those 7 gals your plants will thrive because of it. You will be able to fill the tent again if you wanted to. I like the training and work you've done so far. The shape and health of your plants is tight!

We like to tinker and experiment. I respect trying new things just because it's fun not because it's right or wrong. I have about 30 years experience and I still try new crap. I have some ideas for my next grow that I will be trying for the first time. Just because everything worked on the last grow doesn't mean you can still improve. If you develop a good root system in those 7 gals your plants will thrive because of it. You will be able to fill the tent again if you wanted to. I like the training and work you've done so far. The shape and health of your plants is tight!
Thanks for the input….I think all the training slowed them down a touch, but they seem to be perking up and growing quicker by the day.
The pics are from today….I think I’ll let them do their thing for another 2-3 weeks and flip to 12/12.
They won’t be the tallest trees in the forest but I’m hoping for a sea of tops.
D4D8BB91-C3FD-43CB-A21F-E9A042DE4468.jpeg
15E7E045-65CC-4702-9A4F-66BB2EC04611.jpeg

Thanks for the input….I think all the training slowed them down a touch, but they seem to be perking up and growing quicker by the day.
The pics are from today….I think I’ll let them do their thing for another 2-3 weeks and flip to 12/12.
They won’t be the tallest trees in the forest but I’m hoping for a sea of tops.
D4D8BB91-C3FD-43CB-A21F-E9A042DE4468.jpeg
15E7E045-65CC-4702-9A4F-66BB2EC04611.jpeg
Good morning, lovely garden my friend.
As Nunyabiz stated coco needs fed everyday full strength nutrients at 5.8 ph.
Pour around the outside edges so the roots chase the nutrients to the outside.
Also unless you get runoff there is nothing for the roots at the bottom.
Remember coco is hydrophobic, if it dries out it repels water.
Everything will shoot through the pot.
Grab some oil pans at the dollar store to catch run off.
Then your goal is to fill those pots with roots before flower.
Happy growing Amigo. :high-five:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom