Self watering base for fabric pots? Pro or con for living soil?

Hayron1088

So I just noticed that the company I use for fabric pots(7gal) and the ventilation system has self watering bases for fabric pots. $60 for a set of 4. Im posting this because I’m at a crossroads. I really want to try the base to see how it treats my grow and myself. Watering is a hard for me as my tent is in an area where I have to travel a ways with the water I need. I also am extremely interested in living soil pots so my worms don’t dry out. What would you do if you were me? Just buy 15gal or 20 gal living soil pots? Or maybe try the self watering base with the 7 gal pots I already have? I literally am ready to line my current pots so I can maintain the medium better! I know 7 gal is quite small for living soil also just in case you are reading this and think I haven’t done my research:reading420magazine: 15 gal living soil pots are less then $20 a piece so I’m definitely leaning towards that but man does a self watering base sound great! Thanks for reading and I hope I’m not rambling too much! I know it boils down to preference but I like input from growers alike!

@Costanza is using the self-watering bases in his grow now and they look to be working great. You could also try a SIP bucket (see the auto grow in my sig). However, both of those options are probably going to have you carrying around more water, not less.

Totally agree with BudMan. I'm using SIP Buckets & feeding at least 1 gal. per plant twice per day (2 gallons total).
But the growth rate makes it all worth while.
Wow my plants are only getting 1 gallon every 2-3 days. Although I do try my best to keep the top layer moist for obvious reasons. Definitely doing a cover crop next cycle.

BAS has earth boxes and is getting great results. That is a bottom water box if you aren’t familiar. From what I gather about them is that you must cover the top with the bag provided for it to be effective. I’m becoming obsessed with organic farming and just trying to develop a system for myself. Just like JMS… I don’t know why I never knew that it was so easy to make…

Back
Top Bottom