The inevitable watering question

Tweedle

...When and how to water. I am an newby with my very first grow at about 2-1/2 weeks using 3 gal pots with FF Happy Frog.

I read here and there that you should water till you get runoff, making sure the entire pot is soaked.
I read that you should water a little, just around the plants.

I try the runoff method and it seems that the pots take a week or more to dry out enough to warrant watering again. I have FF nutes, when ready, and their schedule says to water twice a week. No way I'll be able to do that at this rate.

If I use the 'if the first inch or two is dry, water them' method, I feel like the bottom of the pots are still moist and fear that I could get root rot or some other problems.

I hate but have to ask....what's your preferred method?

Thanks for any info and or advice.

I go by the weight of the pot holding the plant, I started by filling an empty pot with the medium I'm using, picked it up and felt how light it was, I watered until first sign of run off, lifted the pot. heavy. After a while you get a feel for when it's time to water OR you can actually put them on a bathroom scale and do the same procedure. I also use a gatorade bottle with holes drilled in the cap to imitate rain, it takes longer but I think i get a better coverage than pouring it in.

Thanks for the reply Cruizer. I have tried this. Is there any kind of recommendation for the drainage hole sizes? I just feel like my pots don't dry out quick enough. I am growing autos, first time growing and I think I F'd up and am using the wrong type of pots for this. They take a week plus and my Accurate 8 soil probe still says they are wet as well as the lift method, they are still heavier. I know autos don't like to be transplanted but I may attempt anyway if I can find some good pots. I'd like air pots...too much money. As far as Smart pots, do you have to elevate them above a tray so they aren't sitting in water?

I drilled 1/2" diameter holes around the bottom perimeter spaced evenly for airflow because when the pot is sitting on the floor the drain/air holes are covered.

It's a constant game of juggling to try and achieve the right plant size to pot size ratio. To my mind five days from saturated to dry is a good size/time frame. Maybe four or three days would be better. However, my life schedule is a big factor because I often have to be away for four or five days at a time. So I want them to make it five days between waterings. A week is getting too long.
It sounds like your plants are in pots too big for their size. And/or the soil isn't draining well enough- because this is another factor. If you add lots of perlite or use coco -you can water to runoff as much as you like.
Bottom line for me is that I have to choose whether to achieve runoff or not based on the situation. Sure-watering to runoff is good for flushing the plant, in the right circumstances, but it's not going to be a good thing if you're overwatering the plant.
In your case, unless you transplant, it sounds like you will have to water less and not be able to get runoff. It's a bit trickier. It's great to be able to just douse them completely instead of pussy footing around all the time trying to get the soil evenly moist. In your situation you may be able to runoff/flush occasionally and get away with it, but not often, unless your plants get quite a bit bigger you'll be best to just water lightly and avoid over fertilizing or otherwise messing up your soil (ph problems for example) because it's harder to flush.

Thanks for the info Weasel. My pots are only 3 gal and the girls are hitting their 2-1/2 weeks mark. As you mention, I too feel that a week at a time is too long and I don't think my pots are draining as well as they should. I'm going to widen the drainage holes a bit when I get home tonight to help them drain better as well as dry out faster. I made the mistake of adding vermiculite to the soil where it should have been perlite. Somewhere I read to add the vermiculite but I won't be doing that again. They are autos and from what I understand, they do not like to be transplanted so I have to make it work with what I've got right now. Even though it is my very first grow, I have already learned a lot and have plans for doing it different next time!

Thanks for the info and advice everyone! Love this group!

Yeah 3 gallon pots is tricky for young plants like that. My only experience with autos is outdoors so I don't know re. the transplant. Check it out though. I'm in favor of always transplanting when in doubt. The plants generally love it and it beats continuing to worry about whatever soil issues there are, for months to come. Overwatering really sets them back. Good luck mate.

Tweedle, Try drilling the holes on the side of the pots near the bottom NOT on the bottom of the pots. I find holes on the bottom don't drain as well perhaps because of vacuum forming under the pot? The drain holes on the side have never failed me yet! No bigger than 1/4"... Better to drill twice as many but half the size. So 1/8" is better with more holes! Because they are still small and young they won't take in water like they will in the future. I personally would switch pots (smaller). If done correctly they wont know a thing! If you choose to stay with those 3 gallon pots find that happy spot where they need watering between 4-5 days no longer... The lift method takes a little while to get use to but it is the BEST method. Using a oscillating fan (above them not on them) will help to dry them out faster as well. If the plants move with the wind a "LITTLE" that's fine, it will actually help strengthen the plant. You will find as they get bigger and take in more water things will get easier! Be careful not to over water, this is what most new growers will do! Get use to that lift method!!! Good luck my friend. keep us posted...

Thanks Ripples! Great advice! This evening after work I went down and drilled more holes. The pots I have already have 3-4 slits at the bottom in each corner as well as a buttload in the bottom. I widened the slits in the corners with a screwdriver then drilled 3 more 1/4" holes into each corner about 3/4 the way up the pot. Then I drilled 3 holes into each side near the bottoms then 2 more above those on each side. I'm happy with the results and actually feel a lot better about it. 2 of the 5 pots, using the lift method could be watered now and I think the other 3 will be ready tomorrow. After work tomorrow, they all get fed! It has been 4 days. They are almost 3 weeks old and I can't wait till they get more vertical growth. One is a mutant but she has so much new growth inside of her, she needs to move UP and not OUT lol... I've read that it takes them about 3-4 weeks then they explode! Well.....they're starting to explode! I can't wait.

You guys have been awesome! I'll have to start a journal so I can get your experienced opinions on them. Thanks again for taking the time!

Whatever you do, do not try to increase your watering schedule so that you can use the fertilizers twice a week. You have good enough soil and your plants won't be harmed by a more conservative fertilizer schedule. I will not use fertilizers twice in a row, and if it takes 5 days between waterings, then my plants only get fertilizer every 10 days. I've found that when it takes longer between waterings, the plants make the most use of the fertilizers that you put in last time, rather than having much of it come out with the flush water when you water more often.

Thanks Chippy. I agree with what you said. I just find it interesting that FF states this on their schedule....but then again they're probably also referring to tomatoes and other plants.

Back
Top Bottom