WC's 1st Time Grow with 400w HPS/MH Think Different Autoflower

so I have what appears to be a greenish algae on the surface of my top layer of rock wool. It's not sever just here and there mostly in two places. Can somebody pls tell me if I should worry about this?

cover with some hydroton rocks, this will help with algae on the rock wool
:peace:

Yeah I was thinking about doing that later on today.

On an unrelated note I'm not sure but I think I may have a case of root rot...

the roots on righty are turning a noticeable brownish color. It's been happening ever since the last res change so far Lefty seems unaffected. I'm also wondering if maybe it's a stain from the reddish color of the advanced nutrients line I'm using. The roots don't feel stiff or anything but then I've only got one hand to check them out with at the moment. Ugh.

update

So I don't think it's root rot after all but possibly brown slime algae.

The guy at the hydro store told me to use sensizyme but I'm not so sure thats a good idea from researching on the web I did also pick up some Orca and some 30% H2O2 as well as another air pump and a couple more airstones.

I'd really appreciate somebody chiming in and helping me out before I lose my plants...

yeah I hear you man I'm almost to the point where I'm just thinking about closing down this fucking journal. I feel like I'm mostly just talking to myself so whats the point of taking risks by putting photos of my grow up when I'm not getting any feedback or pointers. srsly 420 wtf.

WC

so I got some pics of my roots going

Here is a pic from two days ago pre res change

Roots are nice and white.

IMG_20140201_114122_719.jpg

and these are from today you can see the snot and discoloration.

IMG_20140204_184537_506.jpg

IMG_20140204_184530_612.jpg

IMG_20140204_184520_387.jpg

IMG_20140204_184505_756.jpg

IMG_20140204_121228_663.jpg

srsly need some help

update

So I don't think it's root rot after all but possibly brown slime algae.

The guy at the hydro store told me to use sensizyme but I'm not so sure thats a good idea from researching on the web I did also pick up some Orca and some 30% H2O2 as well as another air pump and a couple more airstones.

I'd really appreciate somebody chiming in and helping me out before I lose my plants...

If you want to save your plants, take the 10" net pots out of the buckets. Cut off any roots dangling out side the net pot. Sit the net pots in a tray and hand water them to waste daily, about 20oz nutrient solution per plant. ~400ppm

Do this for a couple weeks until you see lots of roots staring to hit the outside of the net pot. Then transplant to a 3.5 gallon bucket of the grow cubes. Hand water to waste there until you are ready to go to flower. Then drill holes in the bottom of your 5 gal bucket, fill it with rockwool, and transplant to the bucket. Then set up a small tote like a reservoir and recirculate. Irrigate for 15 mins a day. Something like this:

primo.jpg

If you don't want to save your plants, let the roots dangle in water.

PS, the H202 will kill the orca. Just use the orca and aquashield if you have it. I can't believe he sold you both.

cover with some hydroton rocks, this will help with algae on the rock wool
:peace:

The algae won't hurt anything

Also I'm using voodoo juice and carbo load as additives.

voodoo juice is same as aquashield, so that's good to use with the orca. Stop using the carbo load or any other sweet products. No *Zyme products either. Tell me your recipe and I'll look at the rest of your stuff.

I caught the issue pretty quick turns out it was brown slime algae. I ended up taking the Sensizyme and the orca back. Instead I picked up a bunch of other stuff as well as some Great White and a small bag of castings. My Hydro store also brews stump tea every tuesday with a free gallon to anybody who walks in.

So I put the 10" pots into a sterile rez consisting of the 29% H2O2 and a couple gallons of water. Within an hour the slime had been eaten off the remaining roots. I then made up a fresh sterile res of Jungle Juice 3 part GMB and about 10ml of H2O2. Once I knew the h202 went inert (few hrs I believe) I added the Stump Tea through the root crown. In less than a day the problem was resolved and within two days the plant started showing signs of recovery with new root tip growth which has continued vigorously so far.

I now mix my carbs in with the tea and not directly into my res. Lesson learned.

Today is day 21
I just did a res change
PPM's are at 1150
PH is at 6.0

Nutes are Advanced nutrients Jungle Juice GMB, B52, Rhino Skin, Voodoo Juice, CalMag, Carbo Load with big bud to be added later. I'm also using a variant of the heisenberg tea

I'm pretty much flat broke right now so I have to work with what I got.

In the future I wont be using 10" pots because I think it takes too long for the taproot to find the res. This is lost time. And also conserves my bag of rockwool.

If I can manage a few zips I can think about upgrading my light to at least 600 watts and also get a cool tube. Maybe even get a diy rdwc system going.

pics

IMG_20140210_152421_626.jpg

IMG_20140210_152433_586.jpg

IMG_20140210_152443_328.jpg

IMG_20140210_152244_402.jpg

IMG_20140210_152234_876.jpg

so today is day 23.

I've added .5gal stump tea to each plant and started brewing my next batch of tea. I think I see some pistils I have some pics of them. Does this mean I should think about changing to bloom nutes?

IMG_20140212_152646_845.jpg

IMG_20140212_150319_942.jpg

IMG_20140212_150237_124.jpg

IMG_20140212_150053_906.jpg

IMG_20140212_151505_150.jpg

So far things appear to be headed in the right direction and are progressing nicely. I can't wait :D

With 400W and your size tent, I would go ahead and top them now and then start 12/12 in about one - two weeks, or when you start to see very vigorous growth. The sign of pistils is great. You could start your transition to your bloom formula now, to get a jump start on flower. The longer you wait, the bigger reward you will reap. In a week or so you should really start to see some vigorous growth; so vigorous you can measure it from day to day. Both on top and below the water line. When you see that, it's a good time to start 12/12. If you don't have roots that look like this, I would wait and make sure your root situation is perfect before starting 12/12.

With 400W and your size tent, I would go ahead and top them now and then start 12/12 in about one - two weeks, or when you start to see very vigorous growth. The sign of pistils is great. You could start your transition to your bloom formula now, to get a jump start on flower. The longer you wait, the bigger reward you will reap. In a week or so you should really start to see some vigorous growth; so vigorous you can measure it from day to day. Both on top and below the water line. When you see that, it's a good time to start 12/12. If you don't have roots that look like this, I would wait and make sure your root situation is perfect before starting 12/12.

Heya Capn. First let me say it's an honor to have you in my thread. I didn't get a chance to say that before I'm definitely a huge fan.

You do realize these are autoflowers? they don't like to be topped or chopped ;)

My next grow is going to be modeled off your setup with the 5 gal buckets and separate res. Hopefully I'll have a better light as well.

Back
Top Bottom