WC's 1st Time Grow with 400w HPS/MH Think Different Autoflower

So it's update and picture time.

I've gone and swapped the area around a little bit and switched over to the metal halide lamp from the cfls. I feel this gives the area a cleaner look and makes accessing either of my plants an easy thing to do, at least for now I hope.

I also decided to switch to the HID light to give the plants a taste of something better. The lamp is hung at aprx 3.5 feet. I hope that this will stimulate the plant into some vigorous growth. It will be the end of day 3 in 8 hrs.

There appears to be a small amount of stretch in lefty which I think is fine at this stage it shows me she has some life in her.

I believe my PH is starting to balance. It's only been up to around 6.2-6.3 which is the high end of the acceptable range in a hydro system. The bottom of the net pots sit aprox a half inch in the solution. and the rockwool wicks up what it needs.

It will be about 4 days before the next res change. I'm curious to see if the tap root will break through into the res by then. I also need to look into the lifespan of all the bennies contained in VooDoo juice. Do they last for a full week?

So I've just been down stairs and my temps have spiked to 83 and the RH has risen to 83% as well with the humidifier. I placed a small fan outside the tent to force cool air into the tent it worked to lower the temps however it also lowered the RH down to around the 30% mark. I've placed the fan into the tent to blow air around and I've taped up the lower tent flaps to hopefully allow cool air to circulate hopefully this will fix my temp problems and keep my RH at the appropriate levels.

Look Ma...no cfls

IMG_20140123_155934_159.jpg

IMG_20140123_155902_546.jpg

IMG_20140123_155850_242.jpg

lefty with her stretch

IMG_20140123_160032_396.jpg

righty just chilling

IMG_20140123_160055_895.jpg

Well it turns out I will be posting pics today.

So I found out the probe on my Hygrometer is faulty (off by around 45% RH)

I had put the gf's humidifier in the tent for a couple hrs with the probe in and got a reading of 77F and 26% RH so I reach in through one of the vent holes and feel around and everything has a thin sheen of water vapor on it including my 400w MH bulb. So I'm thinking this can't be right. So I remove the probe and put the hygrometer directly in the tent and within 10 minutes the RH shoots up to around 65%!!!

so here are some pics.

lefty day 3
1_22_14_lefty_3.jpg

Righty day 3
1_22_14_righty_3.jpg

Hygrometer with probe in
IMG_20140122_130818_353.jpg

Hygrometer 10 minutes later directly inside the tent
IMG_20140122_131453_686.jpg

Condensation all over my MH bulb
IMG_20140122_130850_088.jpg

Temps eventually reached about 76% RH so I shut the humidifier down and have been monitoring temps and RH every hour or so. Guess I need a humidifier :)

Anyways off to play some CoD I suddenly feel the urge to shoot people in the teeth.

Regards,

Wylde
high there Wylde
Nice to meet ya and I was glad you had this link in your sig.
All looks great but boy I sure dont like how much moisture is on that bulb, guess its like that when its off? With no glass to protect you and the tent from that bulb exploding can be dangerous if you were saying misting your plants and some moisture hit that hot bulb. Be careful is all. I don't think when there that young less RH would cause you much problems, once those babies become transpiring beauties you will be trying to lower it.
So nice to meet you and I look fwd to seeing the think diffs do their thing. I take it you've seen that video with the TD and the led? Was that see more?

Hi S1ing and it's nice to meet you as well I've been regularly lurking in your journals when I see them pop up. Lots of good info and the plant pics!!! OMG :cheesygrinsmiley:

The condensation that was on the bulb was from when I was just running the cfls directly over the seedlings. now that I'm actually running the MH I think the heat repels any water vapor trying to condense on it.

I know that once the plants get bigger they'll be transpiring like crazy but first I have to get them there and from what I've read seedlings like a warm humid environment.

The time lapse vid with the TD and the LED are all pictures from seymours journal I believe.

and welcome aboard. ;)

So I checked the ladies. Temps are a bit high at around 83 but the humidity is about 60% or so so I'll have to hope the girls can deal with the mid 80 temps while I keep the humidity up.

PH has leveled out nicely both pots are at 5.9 without having to add anything. Still have yet to see a tap root out the bottom of the pot, but then I have a couple of really big pots.

I gave each plant a shot of voodoo juice.

The stretch in Lefty is starting to become pronounced so I lowered the light to 2.5 feet above them. Righty has a little bit of stretch starting to go on as well so hopefully it means they are going to start bulking up soon.

Next res change is in 3 days I'm debating on whether to give them a small taste of NPK say maybe. .5ml per 2lt.

yeah that was taken before I started running the light I was using 4 cfls currently the gauge sits on one of the buckets.

Got temps of 85 right now and a humidity around 60% so I'm guessing that since it's a seedling it prefers things a bit wet and warm. Going to be picking up a cool mist humidifier so that should take a bite out of some of the temp. Hope the plants are resilient enough to see it through.

I personally don't think 85 is much to worry about,but little cooler won't hurt either.60% humidity is great.Imo.:bravo:

Well so far I'm getting stretch from both plants. I call lefty my little fist of rage because she is scope locked on the light like a little antenna it's just *BING* Righty is starting to show some stretch as well but I don't see as much growth so far as I thought I should at day 4. I'm thinking my first set of true leaves should be more further along than they are currently. But then I have to remind myself it's still only day 4. Dunno if that makes sense.

Today was their first full day under a MH so maybe the pics from tomorrow will be better.

I've also got to start filling up some of the gallon jugs 2-3 days until the res change so I want the water to have stood for a day or so. I probably wont feed anything until/unless the plants show me they want it.

Welcome to day 5

So after the first full day of MH goodness the plants have shown noticeable growth. Temps are still low 80's and the RH is around 50-60%. Will be getting a cool mist humidifier today so yay for that.

Filled up 8 1 gallon jugs in anticipation of using them for the res change in a couple days.

PH is still stable although I think it's because the rockwool isn't sitting in the res any longer due to evaporation.

Each plant got hand watered and will be watered at least twice a day until I see roots. PPM's in the res are climbing a bit as water evaporates out. Currently holding around 75 PPM or so.

Lets get on with the baby pics.

Lefty aka the Antenna aka my little fist of rage.

IMG_20140125_112745_909.jpg

and Righty which doesn't really have a name at the moment.

IMG_20140125_112758_859.jpg

as always comments and opinions are welcome.

Close of day 5

So it'll be lights out in aprox 2.5 hrs and I think I got some stretch in lefty today as well.

I lowered the lights from 2.5 feet to 2 feet so far the plants don't seem to mind

I got a cool mist humidifier today. It puts out pretty well in the 4x4 area but isn't lowering the temps, which are still around 83 or so. All in all it's a nice model it has a humidistat up to 60% RH So far I've just been letting it run.

I'm noticing on both plants that the first set of true leaves seem to be reaching right at the light is this normal? I'm not sure if you can see it in the pictures. It appears pronounced in person.

Lefty

IMG_20140125_222630_067.jpg

Righty

IMG_20140125_222639_896.jpg

Humidifier YaY

IMG_20140125_222613_518.jpg

Temps

IMG_20140125_222549_843.jpg

and what I'm doing while you read this.

IMG_20140125_223038_137.jpg

;)

So we are 8.5 hrs into day 6 and the second set of true leaves is really starting to take shape. I may just go and do a res change tomorrow and start feeding. I have a feeling that these guys are just looking for an excuse to blow up. The roots should be pretty well set with the beneficials from the voodoo juice. All that is missing is the NPK.

I definitely need smaller net pots in the future. I have a feeling that had I used a smaller pot my roots would just be poking into the res today. Ah well live and learn.

Lefty
IMG_20140126_102731_168.jpg

Righty
IMG_20140126_102741_335.jpg

Overall view of the area
IMG_20140126_102651_636.jpg

[QUOTEI'm noticing on both plants that the first set of true leaves seem to be reaching right at the light is this normal? I'm not sure if you can see it in the pictures. It appears pronounced in person.
][/QUOTE]

sign of health and happiness, if I walk into my room/tent and everything is saluting, I know for that moment, the girls are happy

my computer died last night ugh. so I'm posting from my phone.

day 7 is under way with a full res change going on. I did quarter strength macro nutes at 1ml per ltr approx 11ltrs per bucket I also added b52, voodoo juice and some carboload for the bennies and seedlings. ppm for each bucket is 550 with a ph of 5.6-5.8

righty looks a bit droopy i dropped a meter on her so hopefully she recovers with this res.

i hope i dont murder my plants as i think even quarter str nutes might be too much at this early stage. guess we will find out.

does anybody know how to upload pics via an android phone?

So I'm back on a computer. As long as I can research and shoot people in the face I won't go crazy ;)

I assume since my plants haven't fallen over and died that the feed I gave them earlier is ok. They appear to be picking up some steam I feel I'm 2-3 days behind where I need to be but I chalk that up to being a beginner. I'm hoping the plants really start to get going once the feed takes hold. They are already growing quite a bit.

Lefty

IMG_20140127_210323_885.jpg

Righty

IMG_20140127_210333_449.jpg

Righty seems to have roused herself from her previous slump and Lefty seems to be digging the light.

here we are in day 8.

The plants seem to be enjoying the nutes. They are growing noticeably every day I think.

Temps are stable at 82ish with RH% standing between 50-60% Clearly the environment is correct.

I could use a better fan I need one that oscillates and can clip onto one of the tent poles.

PH check was spot on in both buckets Righty at 5.7 and Lefty at 5.8 Both pots are sitting in 1" of nutrient solution. Neither plant seems to mind.

I also added 20ml of Rhino Skin to each bucket today. I figure between the Voodoo juice, B52 and Rhino Skin the plant should be pretty well inoculated against anything I inadvertently let loose in the tent.

So lets have some pics.

full picture.
IMG_20140128_122522_852.jpg

Some views of Righty

IMG_20140128_122640_784.jpg

IMG_20140128_122604_262.jpg

IMG_20140127_210333_449.jpg

And of Lefty
IMG_20140128_122631_327.jpg

IMG_20140128_122627_909.jpg

IMG_20140128_122551_909.jpg

I packed in some more of the growdan grow cubes around the base of Lefty's stem to provide some support.

It won't be long now :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom