What are these?

jokerlola

Just noticing these on this Phoenix Fire plant. What are these?

This plant is near harvest. Most trichomes are cloudy. Just waiting for a few ambers.

8B86232C-C580-46D0-A8B0-B411787FEB01.jpeg

588C3AAE-90EE-4830-A3F5-3BA39E8A39E5.jpeg

67D27443-5E48-4576-A725-901733F88AE1.jpeg

252D3478-7DAB-4F42-A98B-00F5C743733E.jpeg

AB265086-566E-4F6D-8E95-814DF771BBAA.jpeg

66A9CB90-F366-4CF4-967C-FC4A1F9E1DCF.jpeg

Empty seed bracts—commonly referred as calyxes

A flower is made up of a whole bunch of those and when ripe kinda looks like the individual segments of an orange. Thats how all the calyxes on a ripe bud look. Many home growers never see their calyxes swell like that in their buds from harvesting based on breeder recommendations (LIES). Let em all swell like that—some won’t get as large as those low calyxes in your pictures.

And watching for amber trich's is not the best sign of finishing on an outdoor plant. Better to wait for it to slow/stop drinking, change in smell, etc.

Here's a post by BeezLuiz showing his lab test showing he was harvesting his outdoor plants too early.

calyxes,, perfectly normal,,

never ever heard of calyx preferences,, huh??

some plants produce massive calyxes, near harvest, right where yours are,,

enjoy friend

And watching for amber trich's is not the best sign of finishing on an outdoor plant. Better to wait for it to slow/stop drinking, change in smell, etc.

Here's a post by BeezLuiz showing his lab test showing he was harvesting his outdoor plants too early.
So I should be looking for them going longer between waterings and a change in smell instead of looking at trichomes? Would I chop at the first sign of it taking less water or wait for it to double or triple the amount of time between waterings? Right now I am at watering every other day. And what do I look for with the smell? Thanks!

I’ve never grown this strain before but with all my other grows over the last 4 years, I usually wind up chopping near the end of Oct or early Nov based on trichomes.

So I should be looking for them going longer between waterings and a change in smell instead of looking at trichomes? Would I chop at the first sign of it taking less water or wait for it to double or triple the amount of time between waterings? Right now I am at watering every other day. And what do I look for with the smell? Thanks!

I’ve never grown this strain before but with all my other grows over the last 4 years, I usually wind up chopping near the end of Oct or early Nov based on trichomes.
Yes. You'll be surprised when they slow way down in water consumption and smell will be more pronounced. That's the way she'll let you know it's time. If you're still watering every other day, keep doing it. Let the buds fatten up as a lot of that happens right near the end. If you harvest too early you sacrifice weight and potency as @BeezLuiz 's results above showed.

Yes. You'll be surprised when they slow way down in water consumption and smell will be more pronounced. That's the way she'll let you know it's time. If you're still watering every other day, keep doing it. Let the buds fatten up as a lot of that happens right near the end. If you harvest too early you sacrifice weight and potency as @BeezLuiz 's results above showed.
I know now from my past grows I was impatient in regards to harvesting. I did gather the patience to see those calyxes on a couple plants and freaked out because I thought they were seeds! Is this the new protocol for outdoor plants or does this apply to indoors also? Main reason I ask is because the sun rules as a light source in my humble opinion. Thanks to all in advance for the knowledge that is headed my way. Love this place.

NTH

I know now from my past grows I was impatient in regards to harvesting. I did gather the patience to see those calyxes on a couple plants and freaked out because I thought they were seeds! Is this the new protocol for outdoor plants or does this apply to indoors also? Main reason I ask is because the sun rules as a light source in my humble opinion. Thanks to all in advance for the knowledge that is headed my way. Love this place.

NTH
@InTheShed is a big proponent of  not using trichome colors (amber) to determine when an outdoor grow is finished. He grows outside and says the sun's rays will change the trichome colors to amber well before the plant is properly done. He cites the Beez study and other grower inputs as part of that.

Maybe he'll weigh in and share his tells for when an outdoor plant is ready for harvest.

Thanks for the tag Azi! Here ya go:

With outdoor plants you don't pay any attention to trichome color because of the sun's effect on trichomes. Outdoor growers who harvest by an indoor gauge (clear/cloudy/amber) are losing a lot of their potency.

@BeezLuiz discovered that by harvesting based on the standard tent-based reading of amber it left him with low THC numbers and zero CBN. Here are his tests results again.

Best way to know when outdoor plants are done is when they're done drinking. Sometimes they will change smell around the same time.

@InTheShed is a big proponent of  not using trichome colors (amber) to determine when an outdoor grow is finished. He grows outside and says the sun's rays will change the trichome colors to amber well before the plant is properly done. He cites the Beez study and other grower inputs as part of that.

Maybe he'll weigh in and share his tells for when an outdoor plant is ready for harvest.
Thanks Azi. I know he will weigh in on this. He’s solid like that. I remember seeing something posted in his thread about this topic.

NTH

With outdoor plants you don't pay any attention to trichome color because of the sun's effect on trichomes. Outdoor growers who harvest by an indoor gauge (clear/cloudy/amber) are losing a lot of their potency.

@BeezLuiz discovered that by harvesting based on the standard tent-based reading of amber it left him with low THC numbers and zero CBN. Here are his tests results again.

Best way to know when outdoor plants are done is when they're done drinking. Sometimes they will change smell around the same time.
I've never been told this info either. Please tell me more. I only grow outdoor and I've always used trichome color. A couple plants are trying to seed so now would be a good time to cut if they're ready.

I've never been told this info either. Please tell me more. I only grow outdoor and I've always used trichome color. A couple plants are trying to seed so now would be a good time to cut if they're ready.
Not much more to tell. Sunlight will amber trichomes and doesn't seem to be associated with CBN the way tent amber does. So we can't use that as a clue.

When you say "trying to seed" do you mean putting out nanners? Pay no attention to those as they won't affect your flowers...too late for that now.

I've never been told this info either. Please tell me more. I only grow outdoor and I've always used trichome color. A couple plants are trying to seed so now would be a good time to cut f they're ready.
Not much more to tell. Sunlight will amber trichomes and doesn't seem to be associated with CBN the way tent amber does. So we can't use that as a clue.

When you say "trying to seed" do you mean putting out nanners? Pay no attention to those as they won't affect your flowers...too late for that now.
No nanners but what were making Pretty flowers a couple days ago are now covered in little seeds. No male signs at all. I was thinning out some fan leaves today and discovered seeded buds.

I've never been told this info either. Please tell me more. I only grow outdoor and I've always used trichome color. A couple plants are trying to seed so now would be a good time to cut f they're ready.

No nanners but what were making Pretty flowers a couple days ago are now covered in little seeds. No male signs at all. I was thinning out some fan leaves today and discovered seeded buds.
Quite “old school “ but the “lid” on your rolling papers might help with those seeds!

NTH

So cut them now so I don't lose any more potency? I won't grow the seeds out. I've smoked worse before it was legal
I want to chime in here —
chopping plants early is going keep your plants from gaining potency, seeded bud is just as strong as seedless bud, if you let it mature. So as NTH mentioned above you’ll need to learn what the cardboard cover on the zigzag pack is for—oh—and your going to need a monopoly game box top.

I want to chime in here —
chopping plants early is going keep your plants from gaining potency, seeded bud is just as strong as seedless bud, if you let it mature. So as NTH mentioned above you’ll need to learn what the cardboard cover on the zigzag pack is for—oh—and your going to need a monopoly game box top.
I already know that game. I use the plastic tray from as pizza joint and an old playing card. Just wasn't sure about potency.

Back
Top Bottom