What else should I add to my medium? Organic

ATrueBlackThu

Im realizing I made a big mistake with what i started with and would like to have it all ready for next time.

I have ProMix soil, Ewc, perlite, and black gold compost. I plan to keep using those so I need to know what else I would have to add. Bat guano and kelp meal are the only two i know of that seem to be universally suggested so I plan on getting those but what else?

I don't have the money or time for a super soil compost right now, maybe next spring.

Oh and I have pH up and pH down and also a bottle of Camg+ and a bottle of superthrive.

If you're limited by money, I would do the following.

First, ditch the compost!!!! Too much K

1 bale (3.8 cu. ft.) Promix HP
20-40 LBS Earthworm castings
An organic, all in one fertilizer like Happy Frog Fruit and Flower or Tomato and Vegetable

I used this to great success for my outdoors grows. It's simple, and cheap. I never had to add anything else to it. Just more Happy Frog once a month and water as needed. No need to PH!!! Promix will buffer the PH just fine.

Is it perfect? NO!!!
Will it grow a plant and have all it needs to flower? Yes!!!

Try to keep things simple at first. Building your own soil can be tricky unless you have it tested by a lab. For as many successful grows I've seen with homemade soils, I've seen problems, if not failures.

A simple soil recipe will give you the time to learn to cultivate the plant, instead of chasing deficiencies.

If you want to build your own, I suggest not putting all your eggs in one basket. That way if the soil doesn't work, your whole crop doesn't fail.

I use Promix/EWC along with amendments, drenches, and foliars that have been engineered in a lab specifically for ProMix. I don't like to guess. I let the PHD's figure that stuff out for me.

If you're limited by money, I would do the following.

First, ditch the compost!!!! Too much K

1 bale (3.8 cu. ft.) Promix HP
20-40 LBS Earthworm castings
An organic, all in one fertilizer like Happy Frog Fruit and Flower or Tomato and Vegetable

I used this to great success for my outdoors grows. It's simple, and cheap. I never had to add anything else to it. Just more Happy Frog once a month and water as needed. No need to PH!!! Promix will buffer the PH just fine.

Is it perfect? NO!!!
Will it grow a plant and have all it needs to flower? Yes!!!

Try to keep things simple at first. Building your own soil can be tricky unless you have it tested by a lab. For as many successful grows I've seen with homemade soils, I've seen problems, if not failures.

A simple soil recipe will give you the time to learn to cultivate the plant, instead of chasing deficiencies.

If you want to build your own, I suggest not putting all your eggs in one basket. That way if the soil doesn't work, your whole crop doesn't fail.

I use Promix/EWC along with amendments, drenches, and foliars that have been engineered in a lab specifically for ProMix. I don't like to guess. I let the PHD's figure that stuff out for me.

Definitely sounds cheap but im doing this inside my house in a grow tent so I won't need nearly that much. Also its not Promix HP its just the plain ProMix.

How would I divide this or whatever to get it to a smaller amount for what I would need? Im terrible with math

A full bale of Promix + EWC will make about 50 - 55 Gallons.

Roughly 1/2 - 3/4 LB of EWC, and 1.5 - 2 Cups fine *perlite to one gallon ProMix. (*assuming Promix BX)

With the Happy Frog, mix according to directions. Ignore that they use proprietary soil as the base in the directions.

What kind of Promix are you using exactly? This is important.

A full bale of Promix + EWC will make about 50 - 55 Gallons.

Roughly 1/2 - 3/4 LB of EWC, and 1.5 - 2 Cups fine *perlite to one gallon ProMix. (*assuming Promix BX)

With the Happy Frog, mix according to directions. Ignore that they use proprietary soil as the base in the directions.

What kind of Promix are you using exactly? This is important.

That's what im using. Sry for not uploading properly I don't think it works on mobile devices

Mason and Dean, anything else besides the fruit and bloom I should add to my cart before finalizing the transaction?

A soil inoculant would be great to have on hand for transplants. Not necessary, but beneficial.

The ProMix you have is not what I expected. That's a potting soil. Happy Frog will still work, but I'm not sure about adding it to the soil first, it may make it too hot. Top dressed after a few weeks would be fine (according to directions).

Scratch the EWC until later in mid-bloom as a top dressing.

Look on the back of the bag and see if it list by % how much perlite it has. if around 15% or less, then add the perlite like suggested earlier to bring it up to around 27%. If it's not listed, email them and ask. The potting soil may have a lot of vermiculite in it which will retain water. The HP brand of Promix I was talking about stands for "High Porosity", and is nothing more than a PH buffered, peat-based growing medium.

See if i can help a little more..The bag and what it says...I haven't had to add any extra perlite, it drains really well. I do have a plant I add soil to the mix and the thing I noticed is it needs watered more often and then it has a wetting agent added to the promix which takes longer than the soil to dry out.
20160315_114328.jpg
20160315_114320.jpg
20160315_114718.jpg

A soil inoculant would be great to have on hand for transplants. Not necessary, but beneficial.

The ProMix you have is not what I expected. That's a potting soil. Happy Frog will still work, but I'm not sure about adding it to the soil first, it may make it too hot. Top dressed after a few weeks would be fine (according to directions).

Scratch the EWC until later in mid-bloom as a top dressing.

Look on the back of the bag and see if it list by % how much perlite it has. if around 15% or less, then add the perlite like suggested earlier to bring it up to around 27%. If it's not listed, email them and ask. The potting soil may have a lot of vermiculite in it which will retain water. The HP brand of Promix I was talking about stands for "High Porosity", and is nothing more than a PH buffered, peat-based growing medium.

The picture Dean posted almost looks like what your describing for the HP version. To begin with I was just gonna start with perlite and promix because that's what I had for this and it worked great until recently obviously.

Going back to my other post, hoping i can add some of this to the top of the soil and salvage at least some of the plant

See if i can help a little more..The bag and what it says...I haven't had to add any extra perlite, it drains really well. I do have a plant I add soil to the mix and the thing I noticed is it needs watered more often and then it has a wetting agent added to the promix which takes longer than the soil to dry out.
20160315_114328.jpg
20160315_114320.jpg
20160315_114718.jpg

It may work fine, but I'd still add the perlite if you have it. Wet/dry cycles during veg are extremely important. Adding the perlite will also allow more air in the soil.

I agree... something fishy with just N would be good to have on hand in case a N deficiency shows up.

Thanks for the assist DeanB +Reps

It may work fine, but I'd still add the perlite if you have it. Wet/dry cycles during veg are extremely important. Adding the perlite will also allow more air in the soil.

I agree... something fishy with just N would be good to have on hand in case a N deficiency shows up.

Thanks for the assist DeanB +Reps

Have a suggestion? Quick search showed a bunch of different ones but none I saw were just N, a lot were actually higher in P. Also is fish fertilizer stinky? Gotta remember this is all indoors

Have a suggestion? Quick search showed a bunch of different ones but none I saw were just N, a lot were actually higher in P. Also is fish fertilizer stinky? Gotta remember this is all indoors

I don't want to post the name, but a fish emulsion 5-1-1 named after a state would be just fine. You may not even need it. I didn't.

And, they take all the stink out of it...

Back
Top Bottom