What is this?

old77

Can someone tell me what this is on my veggies. About 5 weeks water nuts every 3/4 days flouro lites 24 seven. Thank you for responding.
what-is-this3f.301052

I had that problem, mine was Manganese def. because I wasn't getting the soil ph low enough... I now make sure my water is as close to 6.5 as I can get it... and I have no more new spots. Hope this helps.

Thank you. We just started using CAL-MAG to the watering and your input makes us feel we are doing the right thing . Again Thank you

Old77

My guess --

Magnesium is a component of the chlorophyll molecule and serves as a cofactor in most enzymes.

Magnesium deficiency will exhibit a yellowing (which may turn brown) and interveinal chlorosis beginning in the older leaves. The older leaves will be the first to develop interveinal chlorosis. Starting at leaf margin or tip and progressing inward between the veins.

This can be quickly resolved by watering with 1 tablespoon Epsom salts/gallon of water. Until you can correct nutrient lockout, try foliar feeding. That way the plants get all the nitrogen and Mg they need. The plants can be foliar feed at ½ teaspoon/quart of Epsom salts (first powdered and dissolved in some hot water). When mixing up soil, use 2 teaspoon dolomite lime per gallon of soil.

If the starting water is above 200 ppm, that is pretty hard water, that will lock out mg with all of the calcium in the water. Either add a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salts or lime (both will effectively reduce the lockout or invest into a reverse osmosis water filter.

Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don't overdo Mg or you'll lock up other nutrients.

Doesn't appear to be MG to me, without seeing the leaf tips it sort of looks like potentially a K def. With the spots getting clustered together in the left side makes almost start to look like P.

A pic with the entire leaf, including tips would be good.

Overall, always use Cal-Mag especially when using RO water. Give them a good flush, pull of any deficient leaves and all should be well.

Just to add that I had similar spots while ago in a soil mixed with bat guano, right before seeding, and didn't have time to dissolve properly, thus forming granules of concentrated nutrients in the lower portion of the pot. As soon as the roots reached this area, spots appeared, but were quickly managed by flushing with distilled water. Definitely - flush. With distilled if you can. Or tap, PH'd, if you can't.

Back
Top Bottom