What lighting should I use?

angelikacren

420 Member
Do you use light-emitting diode (LED) fixtures or high-pressure sodium (HPS) fixtures? Ceramic metal halide? Sodium halide? Should they have dimmable capacity and/or spectrum adjustability? What is the preferred spectrum? What is the UV-B output? What is a particular fixture’s efficiency? What is its heat output? Are there rebate possibilities from the utility company?

I know that's tons of questions :ciao:. But can anyone help me with them?

I currently use 3 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's ($260 ea.) in a 4' x 8' room. I believe it's 900 watts actual power draw total for the 3 lights. So I use 1/3rd the electric using LED over HPS & get the same yields (about 10 oz. per plant). I do like HPS also in the winter months since I grow in a shed & it helps keep the room warm. But I only use 1 600 watt HPS & 2 Mars LED's with it. I could never pull off using HPS in the summer in a shed when it's 115 F outside.
I believe todays LED's are every bit as good as HPS. Initial cost of LED is more. Savings on electric bill makes up for that.
Besides, doesn't 2 lbs. off 3 plants cover the cost of your initial investment. You do get the money you spent back in weed easily.
Here's a few pics of my LED grows.
7-345.JPG
7-352.JPG
7-355.JPG
6-449.JPG
6-450.JPG
6-456 (2).JPG

Thought you were going to try LED ? Change your mind ?
Yeah I was going to get a Mars TSL 2000 for my veg closet, but I got sick and never got around to it...maybe for spring when it starts getting warm again...got plans for a bigger veg area anyway

Yeah I was going to get a Mars TSL 2000 for my veg closet, but I got sick and never got around to it...maybe for spring when it starts getting warm again...got plans for a bigger veg area anyway
You should enter 1 of those Mars contests. Seems they are having several lately. Can't hurt to try.

I currently use 3 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's ($260 ea.) in a 4' x 8' room. I believe it's 900 watts actual power draw total for the 3 lights. So I use 1/3rd the electric using LED over HPS & get the same yields (about 10 oz. per plant).

You were only yielding 840 grams from 2,700 watts of HIDs?

Not me, Mocha. I use LED & I believe they are 300 watt. I use 2 during veg & 3 in flower. Usually 3 - 4 plants. So lets say 28 - 38 oz. depending on 3 or 4 plants. Not sure what the comes out to in grams per watt; but I'm only using 900 watts total. I think I'm doing OK, but not all that sure ... lol. Still shooting for a 1 lb. plant though.

I run a perpetual garden, but I yield about 10 zips per plant, on a normal basis...I have 8 plants in my 4x8 and I usually have at least 2 in my 4x4...and it's only 2600 watts :rofl::rofl:

EDIT: I might add that 400 watts of that 2600 is in a veg closet...left side of my 4x8 is a 1000 watt, the right side is a 600 watt, and my 4x4 is a 600 watt

I currently use 3 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's ($260 ea.) in a 4' x 8' room. I believe it's 900 watts actual power draw total for the 3 lights. So I use 1/3rd the electric using LED over HPS & get the same yields (about 10 oz. per plant). I do like HPS also in the winter months since I grow in a shed & it helps keep the room warm. But I only use 1 600 watt HPS & 2 Mars LED's with it. I could never pull off using HPS in the summer in a shed when it's 115 F outside.
I believe todays LED's are every bit as good as HPS. Initial cost of LED is more. Savings on electric bill makes up for that.
Besides, doesn't 2 lbs. off 3 plants cover the cost of your initial investment. You do get the money you spent back in weed easily.
Here's a few pics of my LED grows.
7-345.JPG
7-352.JPG
7-355.JPG
6-449.JPG
6-450.JPG
6-456 (2).JPG

Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom