When to start autos outside?

First year I’ll be attempting autos. And I’m def excited. I only have 3 chemD autos from ethos and don’t wanna make any mistakes. I have a 3 gallon container with my pre mix. (Promix, perlite, EWC, and all purpose dr earth 2-2-2. Has a ton trubiotic mycorrhizae). Watered with ph 6.3 water. And water only. That’s my plan. But when can I start? I live in Southern California. Specifically the high desert in north Los Angeles area. Lows are 35. Highs are 70-75. Daily. Only getting warmer.

Any special tips for autos? @Emilya
I don't run autos... so I have no experience with them. My thoughts though are that a plant is a plant is a plant, and that they are just like photos except they do everything a little faster. I don't believe in the myths like you need to start them in their final container or that you need to feed them lighter. Those who grow huge autos almost always treat them just like any other plant by topping, uppotting and feeding strongly. Good luck and I hope you have a great grow!

lmao. I wish you were right. Hope your right!!

But if that was the case. I’d have 0 problems growing autos just like my photos hahaha. I have these because it’s a pre release freebie from ethos and I thought. Why not try it again. But this time with better genetics. Otherwise. I’d never buy them. But Because I have such a hard time successfully growing them. There has to be something different. This time I won’t uppot and start in final home. See how that works. But every time I transplant. They flower.

I suck at growing autos. And terribly!!!! Hopefully this time changes my thoughts on them. Thankyou so much for your response. Hopefully someone else can chime in too. :)

Though topping Autos is coming in fashion, a) it has to happen by week four, so you're not topping after flowering starts, and b) it may be really only useful for indoor tent gardens where you have limited space and want to develop a level canopy.

I've grown Autos outside for a couple years and have used regular LST techniques to pull the branches apart, and the natural sunlight will get in everywhere. My favourite is to roll-squeeze the branches to crush them a bit. (can't remember the name)

Cannabis may tolerate cold nights, but too many of them will slow growth. That's not voodoo, just basic gardening 101.

Myself, I go straight from rooting cup, (Solo size), into a 5gal tote. Just be careful not to over water. Transplant shock can happen whenever you upsize, and since they only have 12 or 13 weeks of growing, losing a week while the plant recovers would be a shame.

Lastly, use 60x magnification, either a loup or USB microscope, to tell when they're ready to harvest. Never rely on the breeder's estimate.

Sorry this got long windy lol Have fun and good luck

Hopefully someone else can chime in too. :)
@CultivationArt , I'll bite and chime in, lol.

I grow outdoor in northern Florida and it sounds like we have similar weather. I had planned on starting my auto's in late April, along with the regulars. Then reading @Emilya post where she mentioned that auto's can be started when the night time temps should be no lower then mid 40's, I may start some of them in the next few weeks, our night time temps are in the mid 50's to 60's right now that its pushing mid March.

Over the years I've learned to respect and implement Emilya's judgement on growing techniques and advice. As she said, a plant is a plant is a plant. Having said that, I'm a firm believer in leaf reading. Keeping an eye on the growth of a plants leaves will tell you when she is she is hungry, thirsty, too hot, or in need of a nutrient of sort. I plan on doing the same with the auto's I'll be starting.

Good luck and don't be a stranger.

garybo

Though topping Autos is coming in fashion, a) it has to happen by week four, so you're not topping after flowering starts, and b) it may be really only useful for indoor tent gardens where you have limited space and want to develop a level canopy.

I've grown Autos outside for a couple years and have used regular LST techniques to pull the branches apart, and the natural sunlight will get in everywhere. My favourite is to roll-squeeze the branches to crush them a bit. (can't remember the name)
Great advise @PaleSun . I was wondering about the subject of topping and low stress cleaning. Thanks for the savvy. Like @CultivationArt this will be my first auto grow as well.

First auto. Not grow. I have 10+ years under my belt with photos.

@CultivationArt , I'll bite and chime in, lol.

I grow outdoor in northern Florida and it sounds like we have similar weather. I had planned on starting my auto's in late April, along with the regulars. Then reading @Emilya post where she mentioned that auto's can be started when the night time temps should be no lower then mid 40's, I may start some of them in the next few weeks, our night time temps are in the mid 50's to 60's right now that its pushing mid March.

Over the years I've learned to respect and implement Emilya's judgement on growing techniques and advice. As she said, a plant is a plant is a plant. Having said that, I'm a firm believer in leaf reading. Keeping an eye on the growth of a plants leaves will tell you when she is she is hungry, thirsty, too hot, or in need of a nutrient of sort. I plan on doing the same with the auto's I'll be starting.

Good luck and don't be a stranger.

garybo
Oh. I can’t wait for the plant to tell me when it’s hungry lol. Usually by then it’s to late. I don’t want any deficiencies if I can prevent it. But that’s what feeding schedules are for right? Anyhow. As much as I agree a plants are plants. Each cultivar is different and don’t react to the same to for example. Light intensity, rich media, or even slow drinkers. Kinda why I’m asking if anyone had any specific or special pointers for autos specific.
Still. Thankyou everyone who responded. It always makes me feel welcomed and like i can ask anything when times I’m to embarrassed to ask.

I guess I’ll just set my own curve and post updates to rely the message.

Strains is chemD auto by ethos genetics.
Pre release freebie.
I have one in a 2 gallon to finish in. And other in solo cup with 1 teaspoon of growdots. Only time will tell.

2BB5AA21-4000-41F5-89C6-FA4793880D0E.jpeg

61080B1A-4DB1-4C66-BA22-5330CAD0CC59.jpeg

7F26CA20-E0E9-44B1-BA9A-E24F89598623.jpeg

D5DD65B2-4B9A-4FFE-977A-524F4920E6A1.jpeg

FB2E3F64-EABB-4355-8957-D407477D0394.jpeg

07C5B51D-5608-449B-97EB-FA75926FFCD6.jpeg

31823A9D-DB38-4B34-998F-772A56209985.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom