Where does 2 cup per cubic ft come from

Robbieg22

Hi all new to organic but am jumping in head first. Was wondering where did the 2 cup per cubic ft of organic amendments ratio come from and why

5 gallon orange Home Depot bucket

the-home-depot-paint-buckets-lids-05glhd2-64_1000.jpg

Half cup blood cup bone half cup kelp give or take

Yuk factor... you need more inputs and/or different ones. What else are you using for a soil mix?

You need potash aka pot-ash.... add 2 cups along with your bone/blood meals you need Potassium

Potash can be made with hardwood ashes.

You also need a Calcium source like a cup of Gypusm/oystershell/crustacean meal those 3 in combo is good and you need some rock dust as well say 4 cups per cubic foot + aeration.

So kelp is not enough k by itself. My mix is 50 50 compost to top soil with a little peat then the .5cup of blood 1 cup bone . 5 kelp so I need a lot more fertilizer

So kelp is not enough k by itself. My mix is 50 50 compost to top soil with a little peat then the .5cup of blood 1 cup bone . 5 kelp so I need a lot more fertilizer

Not enough by itself. Your compost will. What are you adding in for aeration (per-lite)??

You need a calcium source as well.

Soil CEC - Cation exchange capacity.

Here's a good read on it

Rock dust takes the place of clay in a container garden. So add some rock dust. It will hold onto the nutrients in the soil organic matter until the bacteria break them away and give those nutrients to the plants roots.

Cations and Cation Exchange Capacity | Fact Sheets | soilquality.org.au

I have no idea about NPK - I get a soil test 1x a year.

I grow organically so there's nothing I look to for an NPK. Its in the soil. As the plants need them the root exudate from the plants roots communicate with the mirco-organisms and hyphae in the soil. Those in turn break down the nutrients that are not in soluble form into soluble nutrients the plant can uptake with water.

There is a symbiotic relationship with roots plants and micro-organisms in the soil. This is my main concern and healthy soil biome.

Soil Food Web - here's a good read:

Soil Food Web | NRCS Soils

Hi all new to organic but am jumping in head first. Was wondering where did the 2 cup per cubic ft of organic amendments ratio come from and why

because someone else did the work for us, and that's a pretty vague question, 2 cups of what?

If it's a complete nute like DrEarth, Gia Green, etc., or an individual amendment, use the manufacturers recommendation.

and I ALWAYS go lighter than the recommended doses.

Back
Top Bottom