White Widow Plant Bent Over At Week 7 Of Flower

captainkirk

one of my 5ft White Widow plants grown indoors , at week 7 of flower bent over when string holding it verticle broke ,leaving a bend in stem at the middle . The question i have is ,, should i jcut it at the bend and harvest the buds above the bend , or will it be ok ?
I will post pics when lights come on tonight ,,,,,

Without seeing a pic of it, I am guessing it would be ok to leave. I grew a plant a few years ago that became taller than I wanted, even tho I had tied down the tall branches as best as I could. But when it got into the neighbor's line of sight, I felt I had no option but to chop the tall main cola branch off. Only later did I realize there is a technique called 'super cropping' that basically means to rub/flex the branch until it softens and then bend it to be in the position you want, doing so can semi break the branch. So it sounds a little like you have inadvertently created a mild super cropped branch. Just my 2 cents if it is of any help, cheers.

leaves drooping above bend/break ,
bend.png
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg

If it was me, I wouldn't immediately harvest the broken branch for buds, because if the branch fails to recover and dies you can still then harvest the buds.

I have previously split topped plants by inadvertently applying too much pressure when later attempting to tie down the bifurcating branches to lower the plant's height. In would suggest to do a search on supercropping as generally if the branch is physically broken (not just bent) it is usually recommended to tape up the wound. Often duct tape is recommended for this, altho I used soft cotton ties as I was uncertain on what would happen when the strong duct tape was removed, whether it would pull the skin of the plant, I guess it doesn't as it often recommended. I have read of other people using electrical tape.

When a stem is bent over we call it super cropping.But that done before flowering.LOL.:goodjob:

I do it in flower during stretch when I see a runner heading for the lights. My plants almost always double in height during stretch. I wait until I see branches getting to long then crack em over and sometimes tie them back to itself or its own stem with a wire.

The plants will recover overnight. I've cracked them and the go right back to original position so thats why I use a wire to keep them bent over. It helps with yields.

Edit: here's a pick of one that I tied back

Back
Top Bottom