Whodathot's Noob Medical Grow Journal

whodathot

Hi all,

I'm a noob medical grower for myself and another patient. I'll have to re-title my thread later when I decide exactly what methods, plants, etc I am using. Meanwhile, I'm going to post my thought processes to clarify the direction I am heading and to get feedback from you good folks.

I'm starting a new grow room, from scratch, and I'm a total noob. I'm a very careful planner and I like to think of different types of configurations and eventualities and would love to design a tight system, low maintenance, low(er) risk of mechanical breakdown room. I have a decent amount of money to throw at the design, but don't want to over-design or overspend unnecessarily.

I can grow 12 plants as a patient and grow 12 plants for each patient I care for (up to 5 patients). I can possess 2.5 oz usable medicine for myself and each of my patients. At the end of the month, I will be authorized to grow 24 plants total. I am thinking of starting with 4-6 clones that are ready to go into flowering.

My space is a room that is 8.75' X 7.5'. It also has a 2' x 4' closet (convert to vegging later, perhaps?) I plan to start with using clones to begin with as I get a few grows under my belt and then add in cloning to my skills down the road. So I've been contemplating all the different types of growing mediums, systems, and related topics as I put this rom all together. It's a bit daunting!!

As I am a new grower (inside at least), I'd really like to stay away from overly complex hydro and aeroponics systems. I have read that they really produce yields, but something about it doesn't seem natural. Seems like you can push a lot of nutes through the plants and artificially boost them to grow, but at what cost?

Being a medical grower/consumer I have questions/concerns about toxicity and the final quality of the medicine. I know soil can be messier, but I like the idea of good soil you don't have to fertilize if you start it out right (like Subsoil's (member here I believe) soil mix). He also provides for medical patients and says the quality and potency is much higher, while the yield is a bit less than hydro.

I would also like to go organic if possible and I'm looking at Nature's Nectar (www.organaponics.com - Web Site Temporarily Unavailable) as a product that is compatible with hydro, soil, coco or drip.

Liquid Organic Fertilizers and Plant Foods at Home Harvest Garden Supply

From what I can tell, it's organic and has separate bottles for NPK, quite simple. If I don't do subsoil's soil mix, this seems like a possible way to go. I'm a big all around organics user/consumer in general and like the concept and outcome of using organics, but am not absolutely set on it at this point. I'm open to trying nonorganic approaches while I learn the process and modifying to a more organic approach later, if necessary.

So, I'm leaning toward something like a soil or soilless medium, next question is what growing system to use? I'd like to do something more like Munki's ebb and flow system as it seems simple. An ebb and flow table might work a bit better for me, drainage wise (I need to ask Munki or read exactly how he does it, but it seems even he seems to think a table would benefit him).

If I did hydro, I was thinking about buckets like water farm or Power Grower systems as they can be combined or done separately for staggered grows/separate watering so that if you mess up the nutes on one you are not affecting the rest of the grow. But if you get a hang of the whole watering/nute thing you can hook them up together and use one reservoir to feed all the buckets.

Advanced Hydroponic Systems - Indoor gardening supplies

I'm also thinking that perhaps something like Global Buckets might work, as this is what can be used for tomatoes and other plants outdoors, basically, throw in the right amount of fertilizers and soil for the growing season, cover top, and have basically an automatic watering system that waters as the plants need it (just refill the reservoir). If you do something like Subsoil's mix, it appears you technically won't have to adjust nutes or ph.

I can also see myself using airpots and gravity fed watering.

My main theme right now is that I want to go more low tech (except for the LED lights which I really like) and prepare for things like no electricity (thus no pumps) and eventualities. Electricity outages are not a problem, but who knows? If I had a pump go out or an emitter clog up on me and the roots are just hanging out in solution for hours on end, that's not a good thing.

Hubby said he would set me up a battery back up system, so if I can find something that will run on that in case things go south for a few days, that would be ideal. He's even batting around the idea of putting up some solar panels for me (it's something he wants for another eventual project of his anyhow) so that we can supplement the power usage around here (it won't be a lot, but every bit helps).

Then another consideration is the strain and style to grow. It's my understanding that SOG is for more tall varieties and you are just harvesting the top colas primarily (correct me if I'm wrong). So SOG is more of a system for harvesting a lot of smaller plants at once. SCROG is supposed to be for more bush types and you are trying to get more side buds (right or wrong?) It seems like I read SOG (or was it SCROG in Munki's post) that seem to lends itself to the LEDs since they are better at top growing than side growing (altho popping in some CFLs probably would help for penetration of light).

I do not know how to LST or prune but am willing to learn. I want to use my space well and start out slowly so I'm not making big mistakes with lots of plants all at once. So that's why I was thinking 4-6 plants to start, one strain only, and commit to 3 grows.

Re strains: I am leaning towards a sativa/indica hybrid. I'd like something that's easy for a noob to grow, that produces well, and that is good for pain without putting me to sleep each time I use. While I do have sleeping issues (it's hard to go to sleep and stay asleep) it's not my primary focus for a strain at first. I'd prefer to grow something that allows me to medicate and function. My patient needs a strain to help with anxiety and appetite. She can't eat until late at night and needs the medicine to stimulate appetite and help her relax. So maybe two strains that have compatible growing styles would be a good place to start.

While I'm legal in my state, I was advised by a well known cannabis attorney in my state to act like it's all illegal and stay under the radar. That's one reason I like the LED set up with supposedly less thermal footprint. I also like LED because I think it just makes sense from a long term cost perspective as long as the yields are adequate. I'm not concerned with pulling pounds off my plants at this point, just growing for me and another medical patient. I can add up to 4 more patients, which if I enjoy this, I would like to do. That's why I need a system that I can replicate and expand upon and utilize my grow space to its fullest potential further down the road.

So my initial thoughts are to set up a grow tent, with ventilation, carbon filtration, LED lights, light mover, buckets of soil or soilless medium in an ebb and flow configuration or some sort of gravity fed watering system using a 4 x 4 grow tent to start.

For ebb and flow I was thinking something like Hydrofarm's Econo Tray.

Hydrofarm - American Hydroponics AH91068 Econo 1-tray system w/reservoir, 3' x 3' x 19" - White

I want to have some sort of battery back up for short term electrical outages eventually. However, if my initial system is heavily dependent on electricity, other than the lights, the batteries could really be a life saver.

Since we are going into winter, heat build up won't be as big of a deal as it will be in the summer (although I am planning to vent outside using either the roof or installing another laundry vent). I do not have AC currently, but was thinking of adding on central air and/or room and window unit before summer hits, but not until I discover whether this is going to be an ongoing project or not.

I'm also going to be making plans with the local growers and hydro stores. I've had quotes from $3k to $4k to set up my room with equipment but I think I can do better by using Ebay and starting a small, but expandable grow room.

I'm hoping to hear feedback to my plans and welcome your suggestions and comments.

:thanks:

Here's a reply to DocBud's journal that explains my thought processes on going LED and organic:

Right now, the average consumer wants to get F'd up.....they don't mind coughing a bit....it's all about the effect.

I want to produce exquisite tasting products that are a social lubricant....like wine. Potency is of secondary importance....I want it to taste and smell good, and make people want to talk and laugh....not melt into the couch.

Doc,

This is exactly what I was saying to my hubby last night. Right now in my state (MI) people are just glad it's legal for patients and just want to light up no matter what. They're just happy they can do so with some legal buffer. Luckily, we've had a large underground (lol) community of growing here for years that has experience and good genetics.

I have a different slant, similar to yours: I am not a factory, I'm a grower/medicine provider. I already have a compromised immune system and don't want to compromise it further with inorganic nutes/grows. I choose to eat primarily all organic food, make my own cleaning solutions (including laundry soap) and minimize toxins in my living environment.

So why would I produce medicine with any lower standards? I'm sure people will tell me that it doesn't matter because everything gets flushed the last two weeks, but I disagree. Flushing out nutrients at the end cannot flush out what the plant has already used and absorbed into its body. It is a result of what it has taken in.

If I grow a carrot with heirloom organic seeds and I use organic potting soil/compost I get a damn good carrot (and I did this summer, all from a container). If I I grow with Miracle Grow I get a good looking carrot that tastes better than store bought because I was able to harvest it fresh. Everyone knows that home growing, whether organic or not, tastes better, and that organic tastes the best. If you can't taste the difference, then it's probably the layer of chemicals glued to your tongue, lol.

The difference with a homegrown inorganic carrot is that I grew it and cut out the middleman and some fossil fuel consumption (I didn't have to drive to the store and the carrot didn't come from 3000 miles away). And it does taste a bit better because it's harvested fresh.

But, I've really saved no money because it costs me more to grow in a container versus the ground. I've had to buy a container, buy the potting soil ingredients (I'm not self sustaining and would find it difficult to do so for containers, but I could eventually become self-sustaining with in-ground growing by making my own compost and cover crops for compost). Yield-wise, I can get more out of the ground because I can grow in a bigger space and also have more of a nutrient/ water buffer.

This in my mind is similar to indoor growing of medicine, organic v. chemical/hydro /aero methods. I can push a lot of (store-bought) nutrients through the plant, buy a big hydro/aero set up, purchase HID lamps that spin my meter 100 mph and produce something consumable from a clone in 8 weeks. I can get a big yield. But how is this different from what I can already get? It's no different. Except with the inorganic/hydro grow I'm a factory. I'm appealing to the masses with a factory-produced equivalent of boxed wine with a drip spout.

(Nature's Nectar makes a supposedly organic line you can put through hydro, but I know very little about it.)

While I'm a beginner, I'm a voracious researcher and analytical thinker and don't like to leap before I analyze. It's fine if people want to produce for the masses, their goal is different than mine. In the words of Seinfeld, not that there's anything wrong with that, lol. But I'm growing medicine for me and other patients and I have to consume it. I want to consume something I know that has been grown with what I believe the best organic ingredients and methods. Hopefully I will find patients that also enjoy these qualities and the resulting subtleties.

I expect my yields to be low while I learn and I expect them to be low because I'm not doing what everyone else is doing. However, with time, I believe I can make a good medicine with a good yield. This is a plant that nature put in the ground outside....in dirt....with real microbes, soil, sunshine and no store bought nutrients. Who am I to think I should do differently? I would totally grow outside too if I had a longer growing season and if it wasn't risky legally and practically (you can grow outside, in a locked, enclosed facility, but why bother since not all judges will think the same and it's not plausible in an urban/residential environment).

From the reading and research I've done, two things appear obvious: soil grows a better tasting medicine and provides a necessary buffer for the nutrients. If you start with a really good mix, you really shouldn't have to do much nutrient-wise during the grow other than some perhaps slight nutrient adjustments. Thus, bottles or bags of fertilizer should become unnecessary.

Honestly, if I could fine tune a large grow of fish-based aquaponics, I would even go that route, but I can't get the one guy I found that does this with cannabis to write me back, and I don't have the space to fool with it. I'd love to see someone do this as there is no PH range problems and no need for fertilizers. You can sell the fish too! Catfish seem to the best producers, don't need heat, and are abundant producers of homegrown fertilizers...

Anyhoo...

Second obvious thing is that the right LED can produce a better tasting, less harsh medicine (that's I've heard from reviews) with just as much, if not more, yield. It does so without the costs of ballasts and light bulb replacements and with less, but no lack of, heat. It can lower the electricity as well. If you're committed to growing over time, it's simple math to see how you will save money on electricity, heat, ballasts, light bulb replacement.

While a larger grow funded by a group of people, as in your case, is more of an investment with less worries about home electricity and supply costs, home growers want to stay under the radar and not have eyebrows raised, even if they are legal. A cannabis lawyer advised me to pretend it's illegal even if it's legal for me. So, I'm going to take her advice. People here already know I'm an avid gardener so my use of products and even a winter grow room won't seem unusual. However, since I don't use air conditioning and have low electrical bills, driving my electricity up with $100 or more (based on the lighting set up a hydro shop suggested of 2 1000 watt hps lamps, large fans, etc), could raise suspicion, something I don't want.

Eventually, I'd like to go to a commercial site and get things fine-tuned. But I'm starting small, getting my feet wet, and learning, which is all very necessary. I'm reputation building, just as you are, with something that is different in my community. It might not be appreciated to begin with, but I think that will change. My community didn't know anything but coney dogs, beer and cigarettes for years and now there's organic food/products offered in every grocery store. Somebody is buying it.....build it and they will come.....

Ok, off my soap box and back to reading/researching. :reading420magazine:

I think I've beat your 3-4 hours of reading per day....lol. I haven't put so much as a stem in a dixie cup, but once I pull the trigger, watch out! full steam ahead....

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Smoke Report?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom