Jonny Bee's 1st Grow Journal

jonnybee

Hi All,

Very new to 420, but have been reading over the different threads for a while now.

Been consuming for 14 years but this is my first time growing.

Had my set up going for 3 days so far.

Basic info on my setup:

- Im using a growtent, size - 1.2m (L) x 1.2m (w) x 2m (h)
- I have a 600w HPS Lamp
- I have a 6'' carbon filter
- 2 x 4 inch fans (looking at updating)
- using coco for the growth medium
- using part A & B coco specific grow formula

Im growing 3 clones that i got off a friend, heights are:

1 @ 320mm, 1 @ 215mm & 1 @ 250mm

They were given to me in rockwool, and were planted in the coco direct (ripped up a little of the bottom of the rockwool cube).

Im running them on a 18/6 cycle, and will water them every 3 days or so. I generally make sure an inch or 2 of top soil is dry.

Im planning to switch the cycle to 12/12 after 7 - 10 days, or once all 3 plants are 320mm or taller.

There are some marks on the leaves (tried to get them up, cant work out how??) which cant be good, and 1 of the 3 is definetly not as healthy as the other 2.

It looked droopy (which has gone away now), and some marks on the leaves and my mate ripped most of the shade leaves off...

As I've said this is my first shot at growing and I'm waiting on some Northern Lights seeds to arrive for my next batch. I'm planning on running an ebb & flow system with a rockwool / Grodan block or slab as a growth medium next time round, i've already got tubs, pumps, etc ready to go!!

Any advice on my current system or ebb & flow systems (especially using rockwool) would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Finally worked out how to upload pics!

DSCF08131.JPG

The healthiest of the 3 plants, already starting to grow tips

DSCF0807.JPG

Tips / buds starting to develop on the tallest / healthiest plant

DSCF08091.JPG

1 of the issues im seeing as the plants grow - any suggestion / advice?

DSCF07731.JPG

Another issue im seeing as the plants grow - any suggestion / advice?

DSCF0770.JPG

Set up as it looks in the tent

Update:

Changed the fan to a normal pedestal type, and added an inline fan that sucks air in via a ducting tube also.

All up that means i have the fan circulating air, inline pushing air in and filter pulling it out but its still getting very hot in the tent.

I am waiting on a digital temp gauge to get delivered, but the cheap one I’m using is getting up to 105 degrees (f), but i think it would be around 97 degrees.

Is that because of the 600w HPS?

Any suggestions on how to get the room cooler?

Despite all this the plants are growing well, they are getting bushier and don’t seems to be suffering any obvious issues.
The only negative thing that i have noticed is that the leaves don’t really point as “upwards” towards the end of the day cycle as much as they do after an hour or 2 of light at the start. Is this normal?

Also I was told to keep the light about 500mm away from the top of the plant, is this correct?

More pics up in a few days.

Any help much appreciated.

Hey 253,

Yeah it seems as they grow the spots start to fade away and you dont see them as much on the new leaves...

Ive checked for the mites, thanks for the tip, no sign thank god!

They are growing so quick!!

pics to come

# of Plants – 3 – (a) @ 400mm, (b) 1 @ 320mm, (c) @ 260mm
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage – Veg (18/6)
Light – 1 x 600 Watt HPS
Nutrients – Coco specific nutrients
Medium – Coco 100%
Space – 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m (grow tent)
Ventilation – 1 x 6” carbon filter, 1 x oscillating fan, 1 x inline fan (blowing into the tent)
PH – 6.5
Room Temperature -79 to 95
Pests - None Known

A few of the leaves are turning up in a way along the edges, I think it may be due to heat as we have had some hot days and the temp has got up to 104 inside the tent. I added the inline fan which pulls air in from outside the tent the first time it got that hot, but it didn’t cool it down much.

I am also noticing that the larger shade leaves and some of the medium sized one’s are not facing up, “chasing the light” as they were – is this due to the heat also?

These plants had been through a very traumatic time before I got them into the tent (further info below), but they have still grown well in the week under light with (a) growing 80mm, (b) growing 70mm & (c) growing 45mm.

Soil ph for the 3 is between 6 – 6.6, I have been giving them half strength nutrients (10mm to 10 litres) whenever there is an inch or two dry top soil or they feel light. I give them a regular misting either just after or an hour before the light comes on.

Due to my lease coming to an end I’m going to have to switch them to flowering stage (12/12) by no later than next week, so they only have another 7 days ahead of Veg.

I think they should produce good results, the 2 tallest were kept in pitch black dark for about 36 hours before I got hold of them and have grown pistils already. The 3rd isn’t showing anything as yet and I’m pretty sure it was kept in the dark also, it did have most of its leaves picked from the stem from the bottom to within 1 ½ inch of the top before I got a hold of it.

I’m hoping that my lack of experience at growing is getting the better of me and that there is nothing wrong, either way I don’t think I have massive issues.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated; I’ll try and get pics up ASAP.

# of Plants – 3 – (a) @ 520mm, (b) 1 @ 405mm, (c) @ 300mm
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage – Veg (18/6)
Light – 1 x 600 Watt HPS
Nutrients – Coco specific nutrients
Medium – Coco 100%
Space – 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m (grow tent)
Ventilation – 1 x 6” carbon filter, 1 x oscillating fan, 1 x inline fan (blowing into the tent)
PH – 7
Room Temperature -79 to 95
Pests - None Known

Anyone have any idea why the leaves are doing this??:

DSCF0837.JPG

Hey johnnybee, nice grow! The leaves look like they were heat stressed. Is your light hood vented? If not you should invest in a hood that you can attach an inline fan to. I had huge heat problems on my first grow because my light was being cooled.

Anyway, everything looks good. When is your lease up? how long do you think flower and harvest will take you (2 months,3 months, etc.)?

Hey johnnybee, nice grow! The leaves look like they were heat stressed. Is your light hood vented? If not you should invest in a hood that you can attach an inline fan to. I had huge heat problems on my first grow because my light was being cooled.

Anyway, everything looks good. When is your lease up? how long do you think flower and harvest will take you (2 months,3 months, etc.)?

Hey RL,

Thanks, its turning out ok and growing so fast.

Thanks also for the tip - by heat stressed do you mean they are too close to the light or that the overall temperature is too high?

Im running a 600W HPS, not fan cooled though.

My lease is up in Feb 2012, so I am putting them to flower tomorrow. The 18/6 cycle they are under now will be changed to 12/12.

Im aiming to try and flower them in 8 weeks, but given its my first try I have no idea whats in store!

I'll be happy if i yield 3 - 5 oz off the lot, anything extra will be a massive bonus.

If you got any tips for flowering stages im all ears.

Heat stress is overall temperature but being too close too the light will also burn the leaves. I had some leaves burnt from my 400W before I air cooled it. The leaves curled like yours then dried out and just crumbled when touched. You want to get the heat problem resolved before flower. you don't want buds to get burnt.

You might be able to flower them in eight weeks. That was my original plan but I ended up harvesting some plants at 9 weeks and then the rest at 11 weeks. The heat stress could slow down growth so if it too hot in there it may cost you some extra time. Honestly I found the flowering stage pretty simple. Just feed, water, check them daily, and enjoy!

Update:

Added a air cooled light shade to the 600W HPS, keeping the temp at a good level.

Started 12/12 flowering cycle yesterday, beforehand I flushed all 3 plants with normal water and re-feed them with nuits and bloom juice

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am reporting this to be moved to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom