Why I never spray for pests

I’m gonna say the spidey mites are vanquished, thanks to the spiders, beetles & wasps. It’s been over a week since I first spotted mites on one plant (never did find ‘em on the other 3 plants). Can’t find a trace of ‘em anywhere in the grow, now.

Not the first time for me growing here in the PNW that reliance on pest predators without any ‘cides mopped up on mites: Why I never spray for pests

Love it. Effective & costs me zero labor & expense.

…now I’ve just gotta navigate this crappy rainy PNW fall & rot risk.

Grow on!

Hey Amigo! Oh yeah, gotta get some ajo in soon--been really busy this fall!

I grow garlic most years...the slugs leave it alone, which makes it a nice early summer crop.

Glad I don't have elk to contend with on the pest front...they're a tough one to crack.

This year's outdoor grow is done-- 5th year free of any significant pest problems relying only on predators to take care of things! Cheap, effective, & environmentally sound. Thank you wasps, spiders, beetles & predatory mites, you rock! :bravo:

This year's outdoor grow is done-- 5th year free of any significant pest problems relying only on predators to take care of things! Cheap, effective, & environmentally sound. Thank you wasps, spiders, beetles & predatory mites, you rock! :bravo:

And thank you A. for the input re yellow jackets as pollinators. I don't usually see them until my So Cal grow is nearly completed and never see them on the plants that are trees by then either. I will henceforth spare them unless they land on my plate of food. I don't favor taking any life unnecessarily as happens with indiscriminate spraying. If I have to use pesticides, then that's it for my growing.

My advice to those who are able is to grow a bit more organically to share with others, even predators. In a sense, each plant becomes a "microcosm" displaying natural processes that abound in nature.

Black mold's another matter, it gets cut out branch and all.

Peace

This is true and I absolutely agree. We indoor and greenhouse growers don't have the natural predators the outdoor plants have.

So the environment is skewed a little more to the pest side since there are not very many predators indoors.

We can use organic bacteria the same that work with our roots to also help with pest control.

I use these 2 products they are both systemic for plants and both bacteria are found and grow in soil. The fungicide has been proven to help plants grow bigger larger biomass = higher yields.

Monteray Garden Spray - mites, gnats and other fine critters even good for cat and dog fleas. Active ingredient is spinosad. Not harmful to bees because bees dont pollinate cannabis. The bees know it.

Active ingredient:

Spinosad: is a natural substance made by a soil bacterium
that can be toxic to insects. " NPIC

Southern Ag - Garden Friendly Fungicide - Mold, PM, bud rot, blossom end rot and many others.

Active ingredient:

basilus amyloliquefaciens strain D747 - "B. amyloliquefaciens strain D747, is a naturally occurring bacterium that is found in close association with roots, leaves and other plant parts. It is reported to prevent the establishment of disease-causing fungi and bacteria by rapidly colonizing plant surfaces"

These should be available world wide as organic fungicides and pesticides.

I added the active ingredient since this is a world wide forum.

Anyone can search by the active ingredient and find the product that uses these active ingredients.

And thank you A. for the input re yellow jackets as pollinators. I don't usually see them until my So Cal grow is nearly completed and never see them on the plants that are trees by then either. I will henceforth spare them unless they land on my plate of food. I don't favor taking any life unnecessarily as happens with indiscriminate spraying. If I have to use pesticides, then that's it for my growing.
I'm in accord, OG. Happily that choice doesn't need to be made though--relying on a healthy garden with lots of predators that thrive in the absence of 'cides works very well.

Always great to hear from ya, @Oldgrowth, hope yr grow & you are both doing well. Onward & upward!

Another year of outside growing with nary a pest problem in the total absence of any sort of ‘cides.

Wasps, hornets, beetles & spiders once again did stellar work. I’ve gotten to where I no longer even check my outside grow for pests.

This year, saw an occasional leafhopper & that was it.

Free, effective & effortless…I’m sold!

I added two more varieties of garlic to the garden this winter, German white Porcelain & Asian Tempest along with a whole lot of Dutch Red Shallots. I did have critters eating the heck out of my Bok Choy this summer, gotta figure out what it is next year.:hmmmm:

Hey 420!!
Whats the red bug eating the caterpillar in the second photo? Ive found 3 in my house after curing but none where Im curing. Looks like what I call the squash beetle? Never seen any on my outdoor plants. Ive got no indoor grow.

When I complained about Russet mites must of been cause they were spraying those bastards on the freeway like the Urban Legend claims. I haven't had them since. I havent sprayed since except 3 weeks for fall caterpillars. I noticed all kinds of predatory bugs during this grow.

I bred Bohdis Chem dog two spring grows ago outdoors. I grew a back bred Bohdis Chem this year and it turned out killer. Not real big but just really good weed. Everything bred with Bohdis turned out killer.

Brightlight, I grew the last Banana this year and it turned out killer! Big huge buds that smelled like Blueberry. I should of bred it with the Chem. Thanks for those seed and I hope all is well for you. And the brother from Penns. who sent me seeds. Forgot your screen name

Starting my next spring outdoor grow right now next to the washer with a T11. Im going with all Dark Heart clones this year. I love those June outdoor buds!

Everyone stay safe. Wear that mask and social distance, our hospitals are full!

Agreed, hermano!

I remain kinda surprised how many growers go into a frenzy at the site of bugs or caterpillars on their grow, and begin the assualt with sprays, powders, etc, most which, even if they're organic, do collateral damage to a host of beneficial of helpful insects and spiders. Sometimes the assault begins without even keying out what the bug is, or if it even poses any real threat to the plant.

Every year, I have a few aphids & leaf -eating leaf hoppers. Not for long, ever though, because they're fodder for the other bugs. As noted in my orig. post, even had mites last year, which grower friends assured required treatment or they'd wipe out my grow. But they were wrong: spiders, wasps, lady bugs & a coupla mantis wiped out all the mites within literally days.

& yeah, the leaves on my grow get chomped on some, but it's certainly no big deal. As you note, there's plenty to go around.
Yes bro !!!!!

The one pest I control with bio-pesticides ( Bacillus Thurgensis) are the Tobacco Budworm (Heliothis Virescens). They will decimate a crop in my area.
I introduced phermone traps and predatory wasps this year to attack the eggs, but no predator IME can mess with the budworm on it's turf (resin coated surfaces). I've seen them eat advancing lacewing larvae who during the chase, were caught on the trichomes.
I'd love to hear if anyone knows an effective predator of the worms themselves.
Nicotinia(night blooming tobacco) will attract them to it instead of your weed. I learned this from tomato gardener abs it really works. Those worms will strip a tobacco plant in a night.

Still ‘cide free.

Finishing up my 2nd year of outdoor growing in area radically different from were I was growing. Big change in latitude, soils & climate.

One constant: no pesticide application—I continue to rely on natural predators. Despite the changes in biome, that strategy continues to work quite well. Two nice grows in my new region now done w/o any pest problems whatsoever.

Right thing to do for many reasons, but I like these three: It’s cheap, easy, & effective.

Th x Ox1034.JPG

Back
Top Bottom