Will I ever get this watering technique down pat?

BuzzDaddy

420-magazine-mobile201323518.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1405402212.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using 420 Magazine Mobile App

How often and how much are you watering?
Hey man, thanks for responding. Attached is a picture of the last few days watering schedule. 1 slash/=1 cup of water. I usually water when the pots feel light or the plants are on the verge of wilting. The first waterings is when I let there not be any water in pot and when the plant was extremely wilted. I got the method off of one of the fellow growers post from this site. Let me know what you think plz. I've decided just to water 1 cup or at the most 2 cups of water at a time, unless I come up with a better plan.
420-magazine-mobile1812668380.jpg

It's not how much you water it's how often that matters. I wouldn't worry about counting your cups and I would definetly recommend you stop adding the one cup of water in between waterings.

When you pots are dry ( They will feel really light when picked up) Your plants should still be perky and it's time to water. Water enough until she has a nice amount of run off and fills your drip pan.. If your plant soaks up the water in the drip pan water some more. You can keep watering after this point because your soil only holds so much water. 15 cups, 30 cups, it won't matter. And long ad your soil is soaked the plant is considered watered...

Now wait.... do not add any water until she feels light again. When her pot does get light, soak the soil again. Not just a few cups, you want your soil soaking wet on watering days.... and let her dry again.. This is considered a wet dry cycle. I hope that helps....

This does help Twox. I started doing that as you can tell from the schedule I have posted in the beginning after reading the post by Emily, the name of the post is "The proper way to water a potted plant" Why I didn't stick to that regimen is beyond me. (Slap, Slap, Slap) After tonight I'll go back to that schedule and method. Lesson learned. Thanks TwoX.

I have been soaking my plants in 3 gallon tubs of pH adjusted water and top feeding 1 gallon of whatever I am feeding (compost tea, plain water, etc)....

My plants are in 5 gallon smart pots and I allow them to get down to near what a pot with just dry soil would weigh before soaking/watering them again...seems to be working...

420-magazine-mobile1930404827.jpg

420-magazine-mobile760016490.jpg

YT

That's the thing with this site, I read what you saying but the problem with that is, what does a that mean? Soaking in 3 gallon tubs? pH tested water? Top feed? All that sounds great and your plants look great but what does it all mean? Thanks for telling me, even though I don't understand what you mean. I believe most newbies, like myself, we just don't understand.
Thanks

Twox said it bro, you will learn to listen to the plant and every plant is different so will need different amounts . the lifting the pot method helped me alot to begin with. Just like Twox said it should feel light and like nothing but dry dirt in. If I was you mate I would stick with the that method. As you are a new grower. Just aim for about a 20% run off and make sure they get Adleast one dry day in between. Iv been saying this alot lately on here, but the guy I learned a few things off told me, do not worry how much you harvest on your 1st 2nd 3rd growing attempt as the most important thing you will take away is the knowledge that you have learnt. It's a learning process that doesn't happen over night. one thing doing my own grow has taught me is to be alot more patient. As the old saying goes, good things come to those who wait :)
Hope you get it sorted mate.
Peace Love and Respect.
Triggz.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using 420 Magazine Mobile App

That's the thing with this site, I read what you saying but the problem with that is, what does a that mean? Soaking in 3 gallon tubs? pH tested water? Top feed? All that sounds great and your plants look great but what does it all mean? Thanks for telling me, even though I don't understand what you mean. I believe most newbies, like myself, we just don't understand.
Thanks

Ok, let me slow down....sorry. I would suggest you reading through some journals and taking lots of notes because it is a lot of info to sift through.

I weigh my pots full of soil before planting in them to give me an idea of their "dry weight". When my plants get close to that "dry weight", I know it's time to soak them again.

Basically with watering, I had an experienced grower suggest that I get big containers (tubs, buckets, storage bins, or whatever you have) add water to them so that it was about 2/3 of the way up the side of the pot when the pot was placed in it. I soak my plants for 15-20 minutes and allow them to drip "dry" on a crate or rack.

I also water them by adding water to the top of the soil as well ( regular watering). Between watering, I weigh them once or twice a day to get an idea of how much water they are using. When they get close to their "dry weight", I soak.

My plants are currently about 60 days old and require a soaking every 6 days or so.

I use a pH meter to test my water and any other liquids before giving them to my plants. I try to keep all liquids between 6.3 and 6.6 before feeding to my plants.

Even if you don't use all the info thrown your way, take notes and save the info for when you're more experienced and comfortable with the process.

Hope this helps a bit...YT

i think your problem is nute burn not jusy over watering bro..yellow tips and that yellow dot could be spider mite its alittle close to vein thats where they bite

Sent from my SM-G928V using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Thank you for your concern and opinion PaydroDaNoob. Here's the thing, it can't be nute burn because I haven't used any nutrients of any kind except the nutrients that came in my Foxfarm soil. Whereas spider mites is concerned, anything is possible but I think it's just from overwatering.
Thanks again Brah.

Ok, let me slow down....sorry. I would suggest you reading through some journals and taking lots of notes because it is a lot of info to sift through.

I weigh my pots full of soil before planting in them to give me an idea of their "dry weight". When my plants get close to that "dry weight", I know it's time to soak them again.

Basically with watering, I had an experienced grower suggest that I get big containers (tubs, buckets, storage bins, or whatever you have) add water to them so that it was about 2/3 of the way up the side of the pot when the pot was placed in it. I soak my plants for 15-20 minutes and allow them to drip "dry" on a crate or rack.

I also water them by adding water to the top of the soil as well ( regular watering). Between watering, I weigh them once or twice a day to get an idea of how much water they are using. When they get close to their "dry weight", I soak.

My plants are currently about 60 days old and require a soaking every 6 days or so.

I use a pH meter to test my water and any other liquids before giving them to my plants. I try to keep all liquids between 6.3 and 6.6 before feeding to my plants.

Even if you don't use all the info thrown your way, take notes and save the info for when you're more experienced and comfortable with the process.

Hope this helps a bit...YT
Thanks for the help, concern and love Yankeetoker. You Rock the ship man. I'm trying to register all the info my brain can inquir.

When i first came to this site looking for information, I quickly became overwhelmed with the sheer volume of it here! I started using the search feature frequently. I also took a spiral notebook, dedicated one page to each topic and started making notes. I also subscribe to threads that are relevant and blog posts that are invaluable to me. And posting specific questions generally brings a flood of answers!

So, you're doing a splendid job! Better to ask questions early than learn the hard way, eh? lol! This is one heckuva learning process!

Thank you for your concern and opinion PaydroDaNoob. Here's the thing, it can't be nute burn because I haven't used any nutrients of any kind except the nutrients that came in my Foxfarm soil. Whereas spider mites is concerned, anything is possible but I think it's just from overwatering.
Thanks again Brah.

no problem.thats interesting that the tips would turn yellow only from fox farm soil..i guess lack of oxygen to roots is affecting the uptake ..just never read or seen that it would start at tip..good luck with your grow im fast approching week 1 of veg myself got my fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G928V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom