Will seeds freeze?

Canachris

I wanna order some seeds. I've been told they ship thru the United States postal service. It was 17 degrees here yesterday if they had been left in my mailbox would the freezing temps freeze them?

No man...some seeds need cold stratification in fact. I dont know what temp would be too cold but it would not be a natural occurrence i would think. We need to pour liquid oxygen on them to kill them i bet, they can survive beast winters man

It was 17 degrees here yesterday if they had been left in my mailbox would the freezing temps freeze them?
In many of the threads asking about storage suggestions some people mention that storing in a cold refrigerator or a freezer does not cause any problems.

In the wild plants drop their seeds in the fall and after a winter of snow and freezing they still sprout in the spring.

Yep, keep my seeds in the fridge since warmth stimulates stronger germination
I've seen seedlings emerge from the frost in Nepal
These genetics have seen many a winter and even Ice Ages, Volcanic Winters and feck knows what else
Incredibly strong, ancient genetics - a surprisingly tough plant
When grows go wrong it's usually a case of PTD [Pampered To Death ;)]

No man...some seeds need cold stratification in fact. I dont know what temp would be too cold but it would not be a natural occurrence i would think. We need to pour liquid oxygen on them to kill them i bet, they can survive beast winters man
I keep my older ones two years and up in a stainless steel cup in the fridge. I’ve popped some as old as 8 years old. I’ve heard of people popping them after 20 years. They are too expensive for me to test that theory!

In many of the threads asking about storage suggestions some people mention that storing in a cold refrigerator or a freezer does not cause any problems.

Correctamundo!

Just don't take them in and out of the fridge/freezer often. Once you put them in, keep them in until you plan to germinate them.

When you take them out there is a chance for condensation to accumulate on the seed and moisture can be deleterious to seeds in packaging.

j

I wanna order some seeds. I've been told they ship thru the United States postal service. It was 17 degrees here yesterday if they had been left in my mailbox would the freezing temps freeze them?
I can't be sure buT...ha What could cause an issue is the temp swings that shipping would go thru, especially in winter...... Condinsation & SeeDs cause Sprouting...... Take it from there...

Back
Top Bottom