Will this work in a closet?

elefant123

Hey, i just bought a closet 128cm high, 60cm broad,50cm deep. So i wonder i have always wanted a hps setup, my current setup is in a 60x40x40 cardbox with 100w cfl 2x120mm computer fans as exhaust and the temperature is all good there (2celsius over room temp). So is it possible to use a hps in that closet, im thinking like 250w hps. I know I need good ventilation but everything that fits in my budget is the lamp itself with ballast and reflector so i cant afford a cooltube or real ventilation fans. I got like 6 pc fans, size 90mm-200mm and i can only use the back of the closet to drill holes and such.

I appreciate all answers even if it aint the one im looking for. :)

Re: will this work in a closet??

It will all depend if you can get enough air moving to take the heat out. I had heat issues in my closet even with a cool tube, but that was with a 400W. If you were to have a fan blowing up toward the light from the bottom, and a few fans pulling air out of the top it might be ok, just make sure you are allowing the cold air to enter through holes at the bottom.

However if you need to use a carbon filter you will need a single, much more powerful fan.

It will all depend if you can get enough air moving to take the heat out. I had heat issues in my closet even with a cool tube, but that was with a 400W. If you were to have a fan blowing up toward the light from the bottom, and a few fans pulling air out of the top it might be ok, just make sure you are allowing the cold air to enter through holes at the bottom.

However if you need to use a carbon filter you will need a single, much more powerful fan.

As u can see in my gallery i use a regular fan blowing kinda up, and i have a passive intake (its the size of the 2 exhaust fans) you just cant see it because it is in the bottom behind the plant. Im not planing on buying a carbon filter, but when i do it will be with real ventilation fans. But if u look at my gallery do you think that is enough for 250w hps?? Also thanks for the reply :)

As u can see in my gallery i use a regular fan blowing kinda up, and i have a passive intake (its the size of the 2 exhaust fans) you just cant see it because it is in the bottom behind the plant. Im not planing on buying a carbon filter, but when i do it will be with real ventilation fans. But if u look at my gallery do you think that is enough for 250w hps?? Also thanks for the reply :)

I think it should be, at the end of the day, the cooler it is the closer you can get the light to the plants, and the closer the light, the better the grow!

well if your going to use hps a250 and a 400w put out almost the same amount of heat so if it was me I would go for more light if you can afford it. just my 2 cents

well if your going to use hps a250 and a 400w put out almost the same amount of heat so if it was me I would go for more light if you can afford it. just my 2 cents

Are you sure?? Then i will definitely get a 400w ! :D

Because i dont want to buy something i can use nor refund

if you have the cash to buy a new light rig...might be worth looking into induction lighting before you commit. ;)

I dont have that money, i can only afford one hps lamp with ballast. But if that gets to hot i will just wait untill i can afford that and a real vent setup. But it will be awsome if i could use a hps now, then i can start growing a few months earlier. :D

I dont have that money, i can only afford one hps lamp with ballast. But if that gets to hot i will just wait untill i can afford that and a real vent setup. But it will be awsome if i could use a hps now, then i can start growing a few months earlier. :D

cant you just knock up a diy grow tent with more air volume? lol im knocking one up in the attic with 3 mil ply and survival blankets =D

cant you just knock up a diy grow tent with more air volume? lol im knocking one up in the attic with 3 mil ply and survival blankets =D

The closet is the only way i can grow at home..and it is as far i can go without people noticing what im up to. So the question is if a hps will fit into the closet without heating problems..otherwise i have to wait until i get enough money to buy a real vent system that will take out the heat. And if i yield like 40g each month ill be happy cuz its enough for me. But if the heat is to much and i have to use cfl until then but i dont think that will be enough for my needs. For me one 250hps setup costs less than a cfl setup with one veg 250w and bloom 250w. (right now a 400w hps costs less than the 250hps at the website im thinking of buying them from, lol)

I just got one last question how is the heat compared to 250w cfl and 250w hps. My temp is 27-28c with 250w cfl. And i can add more ventilation (more pc fans) cuz right now im only using 2 pc fans for exhaust and a passive intake. I know i have asked about the heat alot now but this is the last...I hope :D

Back
Top Bottom