Woman Denied Transplant Due to Pot Use

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Taking a hit off a marijuana cigarette may cost your life -- literally.

Waimea resident Kimberly Reyes, who was diagnosed with hepatitis - in March 2008, had been told in July that she had less than 30 days to live. Her family claimed she had followed doctor's orders, but her insurance carrier, Hawaii Medical Service Association, denied the liver transplant she needed to survive because three toxicology tests showed trace amounts of cannabis in her system.

According to Reyes' attorney, Ted Herhold of the San Francisco-based Townsend and Townsend, toxicology tests from June 14, July 3 and July 14 were the sole basis for HMSA's denial of coverage for the 51-year-old mother of five.

Reyes' husband, Robin, and her mother, Noni Kuhns, said HMSA's decision was based upon a failure to comply with the insurer's policy strictly forbidding drug use. However, both maintain that neither HMSA nor her doctors told them of HMSA's policy on drug use.

Following at least five phone calls from Stephens Media over a one-week period, HMSA Public Information Officer Chuck Marshall replied through an e-mail that HMSA would not comment. HMSA also declined to provide the insurance carrier's policies on drug use or transplant approval.

Reyes died July 27 at Hilo Medical Center, 16 months after being diagnosed. She suffered cirrhosis of the liver, chronic hepatitis - infection, and end-stage kidney disease.

"Just because someone takes a hit off of a joint doesn't mean that it should be the end of their life -- this is not a reason to deny life," said Reyes' mother.

The hepatitis - virus attacks the liver and interferes with its function, leading to liver failure and cirrhosis, or fatal scarring of the liver, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Reyes was twice denied a transplant by HMSA for "technical reasons," such as missing required Alcoholics Anonymous meetings -- because, Kuhns says, she was too weak.

However, on July 17, HMSA approved Reyes' request for a liver transplant.

That approval signaled the Reyes family and HMSA had apparently resolved compliance issues, Herhold said.

Three days later, however, HMSA withdrew the transplant approval after it received toxicology tests that showed cannabis in Reyes' system, Herhold said.

The attorney termed her marijuana use "an indiscretion."

She did not, according to her attorney and family, have a prescription for medical marijuana use.

Kuhns and Robin Reyes both claimed Kimberly Reyes had stopped smoking marijuana "years ago," but took a few hits off a marijuana cigarette one day to relieve feelings of nausea, disorientation and pain.

Four days before her death, Kimberly Reyes declined to speak with Stephens Media.

She was in Hilo Medical Center's intensive care unit, and said she was having difficulty talking, was very worn out and not in the mood.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Hawaii Tribune Herald (Hilo, HI)
Copyright: 2009 Hawaii Tribune Herald
Contact: Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Share > Letters
Author: Chelsea Jensen

Do they give liver transplants to smokers, over eaters or any other people who risk their lives?
Why give a liver transplant to some guy who is just going to have to go to war and maybe die?
It makes me sick that these institutions, who are full of people who are fat, lazy, stupid,incestuous and any number of other human transgressions can tell anybody else how to live their life.
I'm not asking them to be perfect and I think that we as a people should not be asked to either.
I'm going to put this on the tombstone of civilization" to stupid to know everything was heading down the toilet because they were so busy trying to legislate morality"

This makes me mad. I also have hepatitis and liver cirrhosis and am classed at being in "end stage liver disease". I've had hep c for over 15 years.

I use cannabis to help with the awful effects of the hep c virus, and it REALLY HELPS. It stops the aches and pains and really helps with the fatigue as well as the pain.

In my country (the UK) medicinal cannabis is not legal and all weed/hash/cannabis is a class b drug.

I'm not at the transplant stage yet, but i wonder what i'm gonna come up against if/when i need one. My Dr did once mention to me that if i ever needed one i would have to stop using weed, but he didn't have a problem with it himself.

Apparently he would not have to make the decision. They have a transplant committee that decides your fate.

Great eh? this doesn't give me much hope :-(

wardy

in case someone would want to contact HMSA and tell them what you think:

By Phone
Member (toll-free): 1 (800) 776-4672
HMSA’s Online Care support (Oahu): (808) 948-6013
HMSA’s Online Care support (toll-free): 1 (866) 939-6013
HMSA’s Compliance and Incident Hotline: 1 (800) 749-4672
Text Telephone (TTY): (808) 948-6222

By Mail

HMSA
P.O. Box 860
Honolulu, HI 96808

In Person

HMSA Center
818 Keeaumoku St.
Honolulu, HI 96814

By Email

HMSA’s Compliance and Incident Hotline incidents@hmsa.com

ummm Life is so F!@#$%^&up sometimes ***I guess this new health reform is sounding dang good ?Isnt it they can not deny u *****I have had hep A -B and now live with C/over 40 years and they say I live with it it lives witn me ??I say I have been smokeing weed over??lets see (younger) until 58 and forever I thinks theres a effect from Maryjane that has helped me /also no drinking no fatty foods u know love u-r self and u-r body will help u out **!!~~(not 2 say I lived clean all my life hell no ***but I learned )

This is horrible how can you deny care to some one who is suffering. isn't the Hippocratic oath "first do no harm" i have to say this is pretty harmful maybe we should have doctors making these decisions not business administrators and asshole lawyers.

She still sounded like a junkie. I wanna fight against the war on drugs but im not going to stick up for every junkie trying to get a free lung...

Geezzz???take a toke and back up ???who left u God ??The fact she has 5 kids should be enought ??Right are wrong ?U live in Canada does this happen there !!~~**wow peace out

She still sounded like a junkie. I wanna fight against the war on drugs but im not going to stick up for every junkie trying to get a free lung...

what exactly is it that makes her sound like a junkie? is it just that she had hep c? i have hep c and i never used iv drugs. i've never been a junkie. or am i missing something? does this mean i don't get a liver if i ever need one?

Its people that think like you who probably denied this woman more life.

The so called "war on drugs" is just a joke. Prohibition is the problem.

And why did she "sound like a junkie"? just because she had hep c and a drink problem doesn't mean anything. Even if she was a chaotic addict (she was not) she should still not be refused treatment.

and you take weed?

wardy

i very much doubt the liver transplant procedure is free and im quite sure some wall street investors stock improves every time someone goes through some big procedure and then the patient incurred a life long debt as a result. one of the many other problems with our medical system.
In addition bigtires when the war on drugs no longer imprisons and marginalizes adult decisions there will still be treatment programs along with education to help those in need to curtail or stop destructive drug use. which had been proven to be the most effective way to help addicts. so you should consider that junkies do and will need understanding with their problems indefinitely. an i do not think that the lady in the article was a junkie just another victim of puritan-american madness.

This whole story is troubling on so many levels. She was approved for the transplant before the drug test - it was the sole reason for her disapproval. But really, it's not the war on drugs its the insurance company saving money. They use any excuse they can fine to deny coverage. They didn't want to pay on one woman's breast cancer because she didn't tell them about some acme treatment she had as a teen.

There is a Washington Post story about it, sorry if the link isn't allowed

HHS: Insurance Companies Encourage Employees to "Revoke Sick People's Health Coverage"
Daily Dose - HHS: Insurance Companies Encourage Employees to "Revoke Sick People's Health Coverage"

I have the exact policy they talk about with a high deductible - so something minor I pay, on something major the resend your policy. It's a joke.

wow that article was good. insurance companies in all coverage situations, car, life, medical, dental, vision are f 'ed up we should create a proposition that states they cant make more than 1-5% in profits. Not just for insurance but also the medical industry as well. that would lower the cost and improve coverage and treatments.

Glad we agree on point #1, but no I don't agree with #2, or #3.

There is no link between THC and liver problems like there is with alcohol. Alcohol can be a very serious issue for the liver but you would have to show some study proving it's an issue with TCH, it's not at all the same

The woman didn''t even know they were going to be drug testing her, I'd bet her doctor only warned her about alcohol. If the damage to her liver had been done by alcohol or drug use and she continued to use them then maybe you have a point like with cigarettes; but in her case the dammage to her liver was from a virus, not drugs.

Do you really think Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, would pass a drug test? He had no problem getting a new liver - guess it's okay since he's rich and thin.

studies of the effect of thc seem to be showing that they have a positive effect in stimulating the bodies healing processes.

its the insurance companies who are gambling if you get sick they lose, if you don't get sick you win

#2. If you want to admit it or not THC is a toxin, just like alcohol. If your liver is on the verge of dying you should avoid as many toxins as you can, just as her doctor ordered.

Science suggests that THC and Cannabis are not toxic.

If you have scientific (peer reviewed) evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it, (and I'm not talking about the fallacious ONDCP produced talking points).

I don't think we should presume we can tell another how we will allow them to treat their life threatening pain.

Weed ain't gonna heal an ill liver...

Is this the standard?

I don't think anyone claimed it healed the liver, it's pain relief through numbing and distraction.

This is more an issue of freedom and personal choice in my view.

While still alive, would you tell a person which foods they were allowed, solely because some made the liver work harder than others to create the proteins necessary to metabolize?

Back
Top Bottom