WooHoo my new LED panel arrived! it's awesome!

Hey folks

As some of you know I am growing with LED but I needed some side light. I tried a cfl cluster of three lights two 200 watt and one 100 watt for a total of 500 watts. It helped but DANG cfl folks those things put off some heat!! and even with 500 watts I was only getting real light on the side of three colas. I experimented with my current panels and tilted them a bit and that helped a lot. So I replaced the CFL cluster with a panel that has tilting clusters on the panel and I also tilted the panel itself.

Here is the new panel ... ain't she perty :-D it came packed really well with the thinest strongest plywood around it (I love the plywood and will make shelves from it) It had another foam piece that I removed before this shot. When I saw how cool it looked I got the camera out.

DSC_6554_adjusta_clusta.jpg

This is the hardware ... it would work but these lights are built rugged and are heavy from the heat sinks and power supplies so I skipped this hardware and went for more substantial hanging gear. The power cord was way too short.

DSC_6561_adjusta_clusta_hw.jpg

I liked that it had three power switches that each controlled a row and gave redundancy in case of a failure ... plus they look cool lit up :-D

DSC_6564_adjusta_clusta.jpg

Here is the room before I turned on the panel then a shot with it turned on

DSC_6607_before.jpg

DSC_6608_after.jpg

As a side note while I was happily installing the new light I moved around the girls and got a shot of S Girl all by herself ... she smells wonderful. She is about 3' tall and 3' wide.... hey quit look'in at her like that LOL

DSC_6624_sgirl.jpg

Back to the "new" room! This is how I have my panels for maximum use (in my space) I may actually lower the new panel but I am leery of harming the plants. Folks may not think LED has punch but I actually wilted plants and had to back the panels WAY off.

DSC_6617_adjusta_clusta.jpg

Here are a few shots of the room

DSC_6615_adjusta_clusta.jpg

DSC_6632_adjusta_clusta.jpg

DSC_6626_adjusta_clusta.jpg

Here is how I adjusted the clusters ... you can see I favored S Girl and the other girls are jealous

DSC_6635_adjusta_clusta.jpg

I think this is the light I got but the configuration of my LEDs is different. I like the way it is setup on mine. Maybe since this is a brand spank'in new light that this is the way they will be layed out? I have no idea

Green Lights - LED Grow Lights - Adjusta-Clusta 432-X-4G

Whoohoo!

Re: WooHoo my new LED panel arrived!! ... it's awesome!

this is the 500 watts of cfl cluster I made that got replaced ... I did have some small foil reflectors but that seemed to just block some good light. It is pretty adjustable too. I got all the parts at Home Depot to make the fixture... all grounded and everything!

DSC_6559_CFL.jpg

Re: WooHoo my new LED panel arrived!! ... it's awesome!

The two red ones are from a company that can not be mentioned here and you do NOT want to deal with them (my mistake, you live and learn). The reason that I first started looking at Green Lights 4G LED Grow Lights is that they sell a similar panel but it has a better light spectrum.

S2 Girl has really taken to the new light

S2 Girl was placed right in front of the new light and has just exploded. The rest of the girls started to lean in too so I gave them a little help

Look at S2 girl above when I first put her in the middle ... and now

Here is i2 and i3 that I tied down

Let's see how they do ...

You got 3 LED lights up their the blue panel is adjusta - clusta, what model are the red panel lights ?

Been looking at getting some LED lights greenlights.org.uk for awhile now, i here they are few journals kicking around using their lights just recently.

Quite tempted by the sunbeam model which has the correct spectrum for growing MJ or the deep impact model which pulse's light from the LEDs.

what model are the red panel lights ?
QUOTE]

The red panel lights were my first attempt to "do it right" ... I failed.

The new light has me thinking hard about replacing them. I have looked at the deep impact model but I am still up in the air... the one thing I am sure of is that I want them replaced with a better light spectrum after I saw how the girls are responding to the new panel. The deep impact looks close to what I have now with better light, the unknown is the pulse thing. I wonder if you can see it pulse ... that might make me crazier than I already am :yikes:

Quite tempted by the sunbeam model which has the correct spectrum for growing MJ or the deep impact model which pulse's light from the LEDs.

What exactly makes you believe that the sunbeam model has the correct spectrum or the pulse model actually does anything of value?
I've been testing LED growing for years now and I still haven't perfected a color blend ratio yet. They don't even have one. They are so unsure of their color ratios that they will let anyone change them at any time just to get another sale.

As for the pulsing, I've never seen any study to prove pulsating lights do anything other than mutate growth. So best case is you get some strange mutation that gives your bud bag appeal. Worst case, your plants either die or all become hermies. I would love to see their reasoning for this and any studies to back it up.

Likewise, all lenses have lose of efficiency but to claim that their "sit over the top multi-diode dome lenses are 25% more efficient is absurd. Unless the lens is pressed and secured to the actual LED lens then there is lower spill-out greater than the older models of lenses. Attempting to make a single pressed on lenses like this is extremely hard, requires 3 times the cost (you have to pay a lot more for precision boards greater that .5mm), and requires a knowledge of the led placement prior to making the angle for each. They don't have this because they let you choose the color and placements of your LEDs.

These guys are just a re-seller of an e-shine type manufacturer and they admit it. They simply give you all the options of the manufacturer and let you choose what you want after getting their own cut. I'm not saying that is bad, but they do not show any real knowledge of plant growth or LED tech. Just my thoughts.

Hosebomber

"I've been testing LED growing for years now and I still haven't perfected a color blend ratio yet."

Do you have some images of your grows? and what would you suggest?

"As for the pulsing, I've never seen any study to prove pulsating lights do anything other than mutate growth."

I have been wondering what pulse would do to both me and the ladies ... do you have a link to those studies?

" Likewise, all lenses have lose of efficiency but to claim that their "sit over the top multi-diode dome lenses are 25% more efficient is absurd. Unless the lens is pressed and secured to the actual LED lens then there is lower spill-out greater than the older models of lenses. Attempting to make a single pressed on lenses like this is extremely hard, requires 3 times the cost (you have to pay a lot more for precision boards greater that .5mm), and requires a knowledge of the led placement prior to making the angle for each. They don't have this because they let you choose the color and placements of your LEDs."

I have no idea about the claims ... I am thinking of investing or borrowing a light meter though

"These guys are just a re-seller of an e-shine type manufacturer and they admit it. They simply give you all the options of the manufacturer and let you choose what you want after getting their own cut. I'm not saying that is bad, but they do not show any real knowledge of plant growth or LED tech. Just my thoughts."

Agreed ... but they are not hostile like my last vendor and seem genuinely interested in feed back to benefit others.

Do to my job and security clearance I do not grow MMJ. I do however test with tomato and other plants that have similar characteristics as MMJ. Hopefully that will change in the near future but for now that is the way it has to be. As for suggestions, their are a couple of companies out there that have noticeably taken the time to research wavelengths and test their ideas (some tested and revised based off what they sold to people). While I won't currently divulge all of my test results, I will say that nearly all wavelengths are used. The bigger question is getting the exact ratio that gives the greatest amount of growth with the littlest amount of wasted light. My personal goal is to reach the 50% of HPS in power consumption with the same output. I do not believe that LEDs are capable of that at the moment. I do however believe that LEDs can reach the 2/3 mark now and will soon get better. A 2 band red/blue or a 4 band red/blue will never out perform a unit with a more diverse spectra range that should include some green, yellow, orange and violet as well as reds and blues (of multiple wavelengths).

Here are a few of the papers I have on that particular subject.
Effect of Flashing Light on Plant Growth Rate - Department of Horticulture, Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph
Effect of flashing amber light on the nutritional quality of green sprouts - Lithuanian Institute of Horticulture
Efficiency of photosynthesis in continuous and pulsed light emitting diode irradiation - University of Wisconsin Madison

The latter shows the exact difference between continuous light and pulsating.

I never stated that what they was doing is bad. I like the fact that they are upfront that they are a re-seller. Good customer service goes a lot further in creating a successful company than a great product with shitty customer service. I just generally disagree with making wild baseless claims. Finally LED sellers are getting away from the "200 watts replaces a 1000 watt HPS". Now we just need to get a standard for labeling and removing claims of "Bridgelux and Epistar LEDs" when those companies don't make the LEDs they are claiming the light to have.

Do to my job and security clearance I do not grow MMJ. I do however test with tomato and other plants that have similar characteristics as MMJ. Hopefully that will change in the near future but for now that is the way it has to be. As for suggestions, their are a couple of companies out there that have noticeably taken the time to research wavelengths and test their ideas (some tested and revised based off what they sold to people). While I won't currently divulge all of my test results, I will say that nearly all wavelengths are used. The bigger question is getting the exact ratio that gives the greatest amount of growth with the littlest amount of wasted light. My personal goal is to reach the 50% of HPS in power consumption with the same output. I do not believe that LEDs are capable of that at the moment. I do however believe that LEDs can reach the 2/3 mark now and will soon get better. A 2 band red/blue or a 4 band red/blue will never out perform a unit with a more diverse spectra range that should include some green, yellow, orange and violet as well as reds and blues (of multiple wavelengths).

Thanks for that. Looks like my mixing of panels will be a good thing!

Here are a few of the papers I have on that particular subject.
Effect of Flashing Light on Plant Growth Rate - Department of Horticulture, Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph
Effect of flashing amber light on the nutritional quality of green sprouts - Lithuanian Institute of Horticulture
Efficiency of photosynthesis in continuous and pulsed light emitting diode irradiation - University of Wisconsin Madison

The latter shows the exact difference between continuous light and pulsating.

Thanks for those references. I read the last paper. It seems short pulses have no effect ... I did not see mention of mutations, just reduced photosynthesis at longer pulse levels

I never stated that what they was doing is bad. I like the fact that they are upfront that they are a re-seller. Good customer service goes a lot further in creating a successful company than a great product with shitty customer service. I just generally disagree with making wild baseless claims. Finally LED sellers are getting away from the "200 watts replaces a 1000 watt HPS". Now we just need to get a standard for labeling and removing claims of "Bridgelux and Epistar LEDs" when those companies don't make the LEDs they are claiming the light to have.

I agree the hype has to go. I hope my posts will be helpful in that regard.

This panel is rocking!!! Holy Cow look at S2 Girl

Some of you know that S Girl is a hash bud plant that I got going from old seed. I cloned her and have put S2 Girl right under the new light. S2 is fuller, stretching less and budding much tighter. Time will tell but I suspect S2 will give much more than S Girl. Keep in mind I added to the panels I already had so it is most likely it is the combination that is doing it.

DSC_6832_S2budding.jpg

Back
Top Bottom