Is it worth the effort?

stoner 4 ever

Sad story short. I am caregiver to mom, I must be home 24/7 so I cant work. We are living on very limited income, less than $100 left after food and bills. Everything I've bought I used MY money by selling my stuff. I probably dont have any bizness trying to grow inside at home but my position is VERY stressful and if I could catch a little buzz after mom is in bed it would help SO MUCH! I'm trying to make do with what we have at home.
I have Miracle Grow soil, I've heard MG isnt good for cannabis but will it kill the plants or even sustain them to budding?
I am using a drop light (like mechanics use) with a 100 watt cfl keeping it as close as possible to the seedling. I have a 2nd drop light available. I also have a small table lamp with shade with a 100 watt cfl. I am growing in a closet 72'' deep, 48" wide with a 8'?? ceiling. I am growing in a container 8" round, 7" tall, says it will fit 6 plants.
I bought seeds online from AutoSeed, plant name is Auto#1. I choose that b/c it was the cheapest I could find.
Its a feminized autoflower, supposed to be ez to grow, and grows fast and small. I got 6 other freebie seeds with the order, I attempted to grow the freebies 1st. I germinated those using the paper towel method. I waited 5 days and they never showed germinated so I threw them out one of the stupidest I've done lately. Then I planted the other 3 freebies putting them directly into the soil. After 5 days or so I got a little seedling, but it stretrched so much it couldnt support itself. It got pulled out of the soil by the drop light. It had a little root starting so I replanted into soil up to just below the 2 leaves that grew, waiting to see what happens.
Are 3 100 watt cfls enough to grow a plant to bud, with me watching them closely for signs of trouble?
Anything inexpensive I can do to grow a plant to bud with what I have available?

I really really really really really need to buzz!

Just growing something relieved a lot of my stress. I've not smoked any of mine, and it's been a very gratifying experience.

Don't keep your light too close to your seedling or your soil. You may burn your seedling, or dry out your soil too quickly. I have six 100W bright white CFL's in my grow room, and my seedlings love them. Another thing they really like is a heating pad.

Another thing, and this is just personal opinion: I've had the most luck with germing by just putting the seed in the soil, with the water cup method closely following. I've had shit luck with the PT method.

Just growing something relieved a lot of my stress. I've not smoked any of mine, and it's been a very gratifying experience.

Don't keep your light too close to your seedling or your soil. You may burn your seedling, or dry out your soil too quickly. I have six 100W bright white CFL's in my grow room, and my seedlings love them. Another thing they really like is a heating pad.

Another thing, and this is just personal opinion: I've had the most luck with germing by just putting the seed in the soil, with the water cup method closely following. I've had shit luck with the PT method.
Thanks for the reply tfroach. What are your CFL's screwed into? Are you using any fertilizer or did you drop them in the soil and let mother nature do her thing?
I'm considering Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil & Happy Frog Jump Start Fertilizer if I can scrape some $$ up.

Thanks for the reply tfroach. What are your CFL's screwed into? Are you using any fertilizer or did you drop them in the soil and let mother nature do her thing?
I'm considering Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil & Happy Frog Jump Start Fertilizer if I can scrape some $$ up.

I'm doing a pretty cheap method, but it works pretty well, and I've had no problems out of it: Went to the Goodwill store and bought 3 ceramic lamps that would support the watts/volts I was putting through them. Then went to the Home Depot and picked up 3 dual socket adapters, letting me have 6 lights instead of 3. Finally, draped these over my closet rod and and using a pulley system that I made to control their height. The most expensive part was the actual bulbs, which cost maybe $10 for a box of six.

As to your second question, I don't use fertilizer. I'm in the veg state of growing my first batch of MJ, but I've got quite a bit of gardening experience, and I don't really like to use fertilizers. Bone Meal and Blood Meal are about the only thing that I'll use. Does that mean that ferts are bad? Of course not! It's all just personal preference.

I live in a pretty shitty area, so MG is about the only soil I can find, but I've heard that FF is a pretty good way to go. Also, if you have any local nurseries, they can hook you up around February or so, as they generally have their own propagation soil.

I sympathize with your situation, and can see what you will be facing in the near future.
You will be needing much more in the way of lighting. Cfls can be used for a completed grow IF you have enough of them and they are the correct temp. What I did for my grow area was to check out the 2nd hand stores and such for those lighting units that are used for bathrooms and such that have 4, 5, or 6 light sockets mounted in a row that are used above a sink or a vanity. I then get the cfl lights from the hardware store that are rated the highest in 'temp' 4500 or up and use chain to hang the unit above my plants. ( this takes a bit of wiring to attach a cord and plug to the units ). The chain works well as it allows me to raise the units as the plants grow. I have found that when plants are younger they can use the output from as little as 4 or 6 of these cfl lights quite well, but as they get older you may need more light. I have a double row of 4 lamps ( 8 total ) that seems to work well as long as the plants are not allowed to get to large befor flipping to 12/12. (at around 6 to 8 inches )

As for soil, I agree that miracle grow is too hot to use and would not consider it. But if you check out the local walmart or Home Depot you can find several alternatives to MG that are just as cheep.
Good luck with your growing, sorry I could not help more

I'm not sure of where you are located, but if you are a legal marijuana patient or caregiver, you might want to contact your local NORML or canibus club to see if they can hook you up with someone who grows for others and see if they might just be able to supply you with what you need, instead of trying to grow it yourself on such a limited budget. I know I personally give away some of my own to people who are trully in need, and I am sure there are others who do the same.

Just an idea that flashed through in the night

I'm doing a pretty cheap method, but it works pretty well, and I've had no problems out of it: Went to the Goodwill store and bought 3 ceramic lamps that would support the watts/volts I was putting through them. Then went to the Home Depot and picked up 3 dual socket adapters, letting me have 6 lights instead of 3. Finally, draped these over my closet rod and and using a pulley system that I made to control their height. The most expensive part was the actual bulbs, which cost maybe $10 for a box of six.

As to your second question, I don't use fertilizer. I'm in the veg state of growing my first batch of MJ, but I've got quite a bit of gardening experience, and I don't really like to use fertilizers. Bone Meal and Blood Meal are about the only thing that I'll use. Does that mean that ferts are bad? Of course not! It's all just personal preference.

I live in a pretty shitty area, so MG is about the only soil I can find, but I've heard that FF is a pretty good way to go. Also, if you have any local nurseries, they can hook you up around February or so, as they generally have their own propagation soil.
WOW, You've given me some great ideas tfroach! I hadnt thought of dual socket adaptors , that will be a big help! And the pulley using the closet rod is GENIUS! I have no gardening expierence but I do have a great desire to suceed so I do alot of reading on this forum. I'm going to go w/out fertilizer until the plants show it is needed. Found 3 seedling just now so maybe I'm doing something right ;-).

I sympathize with your situation, and can see what you will be facing in the near future.
You will be needing much more in the way of lighting. Cfls can be used for a completed grow IF you have enough of them and they are the correct temp. What I did for my grow area was to check out the 2nd hand stores and such for those lighting units that are used for bathrooms and such that have 4, 5, or 6 light sockets mounted in a row that are used above a sink or a vanity. I then get the cfl lights from the hardware store that are rated the highest in 'temp' 4500 or up and use chain to hang the unit above my plants. ( this takes a bit of wiring to attach a cord and plug to the units ). The chain works well as it allows me to raise the units as the plants grow. I have found that when plants are younger they can use the output from as little as 4 or 6 of these cfl lights quite well, but as they get older you may need more light. I have a double row of 4 lamps ( 8 total ) that seems to work well as long as the plants are not allowed to get to large befor flipping to 12/12. (at around 6 to 8 inches )

As for soil, I agree that miracle grow is too hot to use and would not consider it. But if you check out the local walmart or Home Depot you can find several alternatives to MG that are just as cheep.
Good luck with your growing, sorry I could not help more
Thanks for the help RandM999. I am only growing 3 plants at a time, just enough to keep me supplied. I am growing in container 7" round and 8" tall, paperwork says big enough for 6 plants. I read somewhere that light should be concentrated on the plants, so I'm not sure vanity lighting would work for me? My growing room (closet) temp is in the 70's with humidity between 20-50%. I have a humidifier in the closet when needed. This is getting more difficult than I thought :-( What do you mean by this?

I really hope you can complete your first grow. If you were here in Washington I would just donate a 1/2 ounce to help with those late nights after moms in bed.

Cona

I really hope you can complete your first grow. If you were here in Washington I would just donate a 1/2 ounce to help with those late nights after moms in bed.

Cona
Thanks Cona, I appreciate the offer, I'll meet you half way, say Kansas City? :laugh:
Maybe someone nearby will make a generous offer like yours.
I've kinda gotten discouraged seeing how much equipment I'm lacking but I will give it my best try.
I just went to check and I can actually tell one of my seedlings has grown quite a bit. :high-five:
I still have a long way to go but at least I'm seeing some progress woo hoo!

Dont use FF if your low on cash. I use MG organic soil mixed with coco coir and it works fine. I have 14 plants growing using this same medium. FF soil is to hot and if your new its not really the way to go. The 100w CFL are good for growing a plant. 3 or 4 bulbs per plant will do nicely. Auto is a good way to start also. Ive never grew one my self but ive seen great results from other growers that grew them. 2-4 ounces per plant. Now the thing with the MG nutes IDK how good they work but if you plan on continuing to grow when you scrap up some more cash I would suggest you go with GH FloraNova 2part nutrients. Its very easy to use and its packed with great stuff that other companies such as FF will sell separate as additives. Besides that its a great price. $17 per bottle which is a Quart. Get those and promise you cant go wrong. This is the most simple way to grow and its very effective. Im pretty sure members have given you some great advice but what im saying will save you money and hard ache in the long run.

Dont use FF if your low on cash. I use MG organic soil mixed with coco coir and it works fine. I have 14 plants growing using this same medium. FF soil is to hot and if your new its not really the way to go. The 100w CFL are good for growing a plant. 3 or 4 bulbs per plant will do nicely. Auto is a good way to start also. Ive never grew one my self but ive seen great results from other growers that grew them. 2-4 ounces per plant. Now the thing with the MG nutes IDK how good they work but if you plan on continuing to grow when you scrap up some more cash I would suggest you go with GH FloraNova 2part nutrients. Its very easy to use and its packed with great stuff that other companies such as FF will sell separate as additives. Besides that its a great price. $17 per bottle which is a Quart. Get those and promise you cant go wrong. This is the most simple way to grow and its very effective. Im pretty sure members have given you some great advice but what im saying will save you money and hard ache in the long run.
Thanks for the info WIZ, you've been VERY helpful! I will stay with MG soil and use the nutrient you suggested. What do you suggest for an inexpensive way to check the ph? I checked on Lowes.com and the cheap meters got all bad reviews from buyers, the others were more than I wanted to spend. With all the great advice I've gotten I'm beginnning to think I CAN do this!!
Thank you very much everyone and Wiz you got a vote from me.

Thanks for the info WIZ, you've been VERY helpful! I will stay with MG soil and use the nutrient you suggested. What do you suggest for an inexpensive way to check the ph? I checked on Lowes.com and the cheap meters got all bad reviews from buyers, the others were more than I wanted to spend. With all the great advice I've gotten I'm beginnning to think I CAN do this!!
Thank you very much everyone and Wiz you got a vote from me.

Thanks I appreciate the participation on the site :)

You don't need soil PH meters there all worthless in my opinion but you will need PH drops for your water when you feed your plants. The cheapest is GH PH drops that come with a whole PH kit including the PH UP & DOWN. It's about $28. PH UP & DOWN will last about 3 months. I still use it till this day. It's very easy to use. GH products is the cheapest and best way to go. Very good products. I use GH FlroaNova Grow & Bloom and I will continue to use it as its very good for soil and keeps it nice and alive with humic and guano.

Here's the link so you can read up on the products General Hydroponics – Grow indoor. Grow outdoor. Grow with us. :thumb:

is it possible for any pictures of your set up?
Probably not, all I have is a cell phone camera. Basically I have a lamp (w/out a shade) hung upside down from clothes rod of closet with a 100 watt CFL . Right now I also have a drop light with a 100 watt CFL laid sideways on the planter with the light facing the plants. Jan 4th I will get a couple double socket light sockets and add 4 100 watt CFL. An excellent example of Afro Engineering. :blushsmile:

Im all for cheap DYI Grows awesome to see what a person can produce on a tight budget if needed. Light reflection is a big deal in growing it can make or break grow. heres a cheap can reflector for 100w CFL bulbs i saw on another site cheap but effective
Hopefully i managed to post it right

Keep up the good work bud :goodjob:

R01.jpg

You will need a CFL Bulb, Soda Can, and a pair of Household Scissors.
R02.jpg

Remove the can top.
R03.jpg

Cut out the top of the can around the inner outline.
R05.jpg

All the way around.
R06.jpg

Your can should now look like this.
R07.jpg

Make a slit in the side of the can to be able to start cutting.
R08.jpg

Cut out a small triangle towards the top of the can to make working with the metal easier.
R09.jpg

Something like this.
R10.jpg

Cut along the top brim, DO NOT cut all the way around, just the part you are removing for the reflector.
R11.jpg

Starting to look like something, eh?
R12.jpg

Now cut the same space out alont the bottom brim.
R13.jpg

Also on the bottom of the can, cut out the circle in the middle.
R14.jpg

Almost Done
R15.jpg

Make a slit in the top brim to form a clamp.
R16.jpg

Installing the Reflector is quite easy, you will need a CFL bulb (100 Watt Pictured) and your newly made reflector.
R18.jpg

Adjust so the clamp sits around the base and there is a little room between the reflector and the bulb itself.
R20.jpg

Finished, Fine Lookin Things Arent They?
R21.jpg

I have heard of folks growing with CFLs you have learned one lesson start in dirt. MG is not that good to grow in maybe cut it with some sand or sandy loam like in half. Weed usuallt needs about 1/4 the nutes that normal labels read. I like to use a soil less mix such as Fox Farms Ocean Forest....that will take you through veg state, and use canna flora bloom on a 3 day cycle. That is mix about 25 ml in 1 gallon of water. Feed with fert the first day, be careful not to overwater, the next day give water but no nutes and no water the 3rd day, perhaps even 4 depending on plant size. Then c=start the cycle all over again. Thats about as simple as it can get. Stay away from HYDRO even though i guess soiless mix is about as close as you want to get. Trust me on this . Ive done ebb and flow, deep water, areoponics, and guess what. Dirt WINS in every way

Back
Top Bottom