Yellow tips no nutes during watering

Aweedtec

Yellow!

That is how my dad answers the phone. I usually respond, "Red? White? Blue? Purple?"
Then he says, "What?"
Still goes the same way every call my entire life. lol

So, Anyway, After I wasted your time about stupid stories.....

My plant just got yellow tips. Only the one that is Sativa dominant. The other plants are fine.

I just cut my light back from 23/1 to 20/4 for one night and then 16/8 after speaking to Humboldt seed company.

I'm about to switch to 12/12 but this just happened.

I only added Dr Earth when the plant was transplanted from a seedling and I was about to flush on next watering and then add some Dr Earth Bloom. All Organic.

I have read that light can do this but my light is 4 foot above this plant. The biggest plant I have is way closer to the light because its on a step.

I just watered it yesterday. The only thing I can think is I added an oscillating fan and had it on low but it does still hit that plant first. I am going to move the fan higher on the wall. By about 4 feet higher then aim it down at them on low.

So, of all the things I have read so far in a "Yellowing tips" page online I just dont see anything that it could be. They never mentioned wind as if it wasnt an issue to cause that.

I also just topped TWO locations on this plant yesterday. Would that cause all of that?

This plant is just about 4 weeks old. Maybe a day or two under.

I have another question but I will make a post about it because its unrelated.

20231004_122304.jpg

They look pretty healthy to me
Prime suspects are usually Ca, Mg or K, but I don't think you have anything to worry about just yet
Thanks,.
I just noticed both of the plants that are being grown in the felt pots have the yellow tips. VERY little. But the plastic 5 gallon buckets do not have the yellow tips. And for sure the two in the felt pots are vastly different strains than each other. One is Indica dominant and the other sativa dominant. Could it be not enough water? Even though they are pretty weighty and the bottom of the felt is damp.

I'm being paranoid possibly?

Edit --I may need to water them again. I keep forgetting those felt pots need more watering.

When I was watering the felt pots I was watering them until the pot was heavy and moistness could be felt at the bottom.
IT was about 5-6 30 ounce containers full of water.
I was told by someone in this forum if I dont have run off on the felt pots then I am not watering them enough.
I questioned that because I dont believe those pots are going to allow for something like that so easily unless I go way over the 25-33% medium for watering. And I'm still not sure that felt pot will leak until water is flowing over the top from being water logged.

But again, Im new to this and especially these felt pots. So I am wondering how much water would you use for a 5 gallon felt pot and how often? As a general rule?

newer leaves take a bit to green in. they look good but could be a touch hungry. the ones in the felt pots will grow faster and consume more as they have more exposure for air to get to the roots. they'll dry out faster normally as well.

newer leaves take a bit to green in. they look good but could be a touch hungry. the ones in the felt pots will grow faster and consume more as they have more exposure for air to get to the roots. they'll dry out faster normally as well.
Since I am going to start them flowering within 4 or 5 days would it be better to use the Dr Earth bloom now? It has different stuff in it than the Dr Earth Veg.

I Just checked the bottom of my felt pots after just putting about 90 ounces of water in them today and they are wet on bottom for the first time. Maybe that will get some nutes down lower. The speed at which one plant outgrew 2 and a half gallons of soil and how big the root ball was, maybe they are outgrowing those 5 gallon felts.

I am now wondering if it is that they need something more because I just noticed a few on the 5 gallon bucket plants.

I hope they dont turn into Hermies. I was told by Humbolt if you turn the light back from 23/1 to 18/6 it could turn them into Herms.

It would have been nice if this person had told me that when I was telling them about light on the first message.

So I went from 23/1 light for 2 weeks. Cut back to 22/2 and then went right to 18/6 the next night when he or she told me I should be at 18/6. Then the next message that came in was, "You want to turn it back slowly because if you do it too fast it can stunt them a bit and could turn them into herms.

Well I lost it there because all responses before that one(and there was a conversation going back and forth a few times about light and the seeds and how they respond) I was never told a thing about that possibility and of course I am listening to everyone who pretty much says... when you want to bud just cut back to 12/12 to force it.

Now that sounds like just turn it back.

I was turning it back an hour the first night, two the next and then went right to 18/6 because I was told that was best for them.

They still look good. But I have to wonder if I shouldn't start putting the bloom in the soil for some nutes.

OR, could this yellow tips be a sign of a worse issue brewing?

I'm going to lose my mind if I get all herm plants because of something so stupid.

And going through some issues my vision is so blurry I can hardly see between the plants well let alone seeing the early differences between male and female.

So now I am getting worried.

I was thinking maybe the nutes in the felt pots were sitting at the bottom of the pot not getting any flush out because water never comes out of the bottom. So I thought maybe its that. Because the tall 5 gallon buckets have holes and do have run off when I water. But now that they are getting a bit of some yellow tips I must say it has be concerned.

I guess all I can do is wait and see.

20231005_083755 (1).jpg

Here are some of the leaves. But, this is two different plants. One is in a 5 gallon plastic and the other is in a felt pot.
The 5g plastic bucket has run off when I water but the felt pots seem to get wet at the bottom but dont let the water run out. So I have chalked that up to it cant be nutes sitting at the bottom of the felt pots because its now happening to a 5g white plastic bucket.

I made this second post to show the leaves on the front two plants.

Call me paranoid after spending all this time and effort and money to do this and one mistake could destroy it all.

But what bothers me a bit is I told Humboldt seed that I took my plants from the outdoors to indoors after 2 weeks outside when I realized the sun was at 12 hours 36 minutes of light a day and immediately put them under 23/1 light and they seemed to flourish(would this not be the time to warn me of herms for fast light changes confusing the plant from stress? probably oversight because I said they seemed to do better under the 23/1 light) The person I was corresponding with (who was definitely responding fast. Which was appreciated.) didnt tell me that was bad then. It was when I said I was cutting the light back for flowering because I'm going to run out of room if they double in size is when this person told me that I could get herms if i dont cut back like one hour a night until I get to 12/12. That puts me at flowering stage in, well, 10 days from where i started.
So I cranked the light back up to 22/2 after ONE day at 18/6 and the day before that it was 22/2 and the day before that it was 23/1.
Now I will cut it back like Humboldt said one hour each night until I get to 12/12.
To this point there is no sign of male.

20231005_090512.jpg

20231005_090530.jpg

you should water / feed til you get some run off every time. have a read through this :

are you running autos ? your day / night cycle times make no sense at all.

you should water / feed til you get some run off every time. have a read through this :

are you running autos ? your day / night cycle times make no sense at all.
Not autos. But next time they will be for sure.

My light schedule was 23/1 when I brought them in from the outside. Because I was told you can go 24 hours of light with no dark when in veg.

So I still wanted SOME darkness. So I made it 23/1. They stayed that way for 2 weeks inside and the plants really grew fast like that.

Then when I decided I was going to let them flower I wanted to ease them back so I went to 22/2.

Then speaking to Humboldt seed co I asked them a few questions about times, told them everything I'd done to that point as far as bringing them in because the daylight was about to go under 12 within a few days outside. They were planted way late. Like August 21

The response I got back was I should have them at 18/6. So thinking maybe my issue was from that, because that was what I emailed them about, I changed the light to 18/6.

Then the next message I got told me changing to 12/12 too fast can cause Herms. That was two days(one night)later. So it was only on 18/6 for one night.

I went back up to 21/3 ( I may have not been clear enough about that above).
And now I will cut back one hour each night until I get to 12/12 and by the time my plants finish the tops will probably be in my attic. lol

what strain are you running ? the advice you've gotten on light schedules make no sense.

autos you can run 18/6 all through from day one. photos you can run 18 / 6 in veg and 12 /12 in flower. cannabis actually builds more in the dark than it does in daylight. it gets the energy during daylight and expends it during the dark period.

those are pretty standard times. there are a few exceptional circumstances and strains that would deviate from it, but it's not for a novice normally.

you'll do better growing photos generally over autos. autos are mixed down with weaker ruderalis genes. photos will produce more with higher potency strain for strain.

is when this person told me that I could get herms if i dont cut back like one hour a night until I get to 12/12.

I've never heard that. Once you get into flower and then start messing with light schedules or dark periods with light leaks, fine. But not in veg.

I've never done that. I veg at 18/6 and flip to flower at 12/12 in one go and most growers I know do the same.

I'm surprised that's the advice coming from a commercial seed company. :(

I've never heard that. Once you get into flower and then start messing with light schedules or dark periods with light leaks, fine. But not in veg.

I've never done that. I veg at 18/6 and flip to flower at 12/12 in one go and most growers I know do the same.

I'm surprised that's the advice coming from a commercial seed company. :(
I was taken back by it.

So you are saying I can just switch to 12/12?

Id love to do that because my plants are going to get too big. Though it does look like some of the smaller ones are really pushing new growth.

what strain are you running ? the advice you've gotten on light schedules make no sense.

autos you can run 18/6 all through from day one. photos you can run 18 / 6 in veg and 12 /12 in flower. cannabis actually builds more in the dark than it does in daylight. it gets the energy during daylight and expends it during the dark period.

those are pretty standard times. there are a few exceptional circumstances and strains that would deviate from it, but it's not for a novice normally.

you'll do better growing photos generally over autos. autos are mixed down with weaker ruderalis genes. photos will produce more with higher potency strain for strain.
Strains are Blueberry Pancakes.
Pistachio and cookie dough
I made the decision to light it up for 23/1 because someone told me I could. They did do very well. Tonight I am at 20 and 4 I will be going down an hour a night until I am at 12/12.

But, since I was up so high, maybe thats why I was told not to go right to 12/12?

Strains are Blueberry Pancakes.
Pistachio and cookie dough
I made the decision to light it up for 23/1 because someone told me I could. They did do very well. Tonight I am at 20 and 4 I will be going down an hour a night until I am at 12/12.

But, since I was up so high, maybe thats why I was told not to go right to 12/12?

some folk believe a longer day will drive the plant to grow faster. a lot of folk run long days growing autos looking for the same result.it's debatable how well or if it works. there's a lot of wonky practices.

if it's a first grow i would try to keep to classical approaches to gain the experience. it's usually best to learn the plant first and fill a few jars before getting experimental. it's not hard to lose the first couple grows.

the plants could easily double in size after they get to 12 / 12. they will stretch for a good 2 wks after. you may have wanted to flip sooner depending on your space available.

So you are saying I can just switch to 12/12?
Sure can.

One day my plants will be getting 18 hours of light. Then I move a couple into the flowering tent and it is a sudden change in light & dark scheduling. That night it is dark for 13 hours and the next day they get 11 hours of light. And that is their schedule for the rest of their days on this planet.

Are you sure that you heard what the person said about light schedules correctly? Sometimes they can be trying to get as much info across to the caller as fast as possible because of other growers calling. That could cause some confusion.

Anyway, that a sudden change of just a few hours in the light schedules would cause a plant to become a hermaphrodite is a new one....never heard it before.

That's what i and many (most?) indoor growers do and I've never heard of any issues doing it that way.
Do you think the rep was concerned because my light was on 23 hours a day and that's why the rep said to bring it down an hour or two a night? Maybe they just thought going from 23/1 to 12/12 was too much. I will be doing 18/6 for any other grow I do from here out.

Sure can.

One day my plants will be getting 18 hours of light. Then I move a couple into the flowering tent and it is a sudden change in light & dark scheduling. That night it is dark for 13 hours and the next day they get 11 hours of light. And that is their schedule for the rest of their days on this planet.

Are you sure that you heard what the person said about light schedules correctly? Sometimes they can be trying to get as much info across to the caller as fast as possible because of other growers calling. That could cause some confusion.

Anyway, that a sudden change of just a few hours in the light schedules would cause a plant to become a hermaphrodite is a new one....never heard it before.
This was an email chain. I get they are probably answering a ton of emails and I dont blame them for this. I am the one who listened to a friend who said inside when you control the light you can keep them under 23/1 for their entire grow cycle. My friend has 14 plants and they are doing incredible.
My light is even more powerful than her indoor light. So I listened. I should have researched like I have done everything else. I come here when I cant find solid info or the info is conflicting on different articles of different grow sites.

some folk believe a longer day will drive the plant to grow faster. a lot of folk run long days growing autos looking for the same result.it's debatable how well or if it works. there's a lot of wonky practices.

if it's a first grow i would try to keep to classical approaches to gain the experience. it's usually best to learn the plant first and fill a few jars before getting experimental. it's not hard to lose the first couple grows.

the plants could easily double in size after they get to 12 / 12. they will stretch for a good 2 wks after. you may have wanted to flip sooner depending on your space available.
Oh I'm going to have to get a second light i think. These plants are outgrowing the area already. When they stretch I am going to need another light because they keep getting wider. And taller.
I am at 19/5 now and tomorrow I will be 18/6. Once i am at 18/6 for two days I am dropping right to 12/12.
But, I may need to do some defoliating first. I dont know how long to wait before switching after defoliating. That is my research program today.

Is it a good idea to get a few of those little 38 dollar lights on a stand to put around the sides of the plant just to make sure those side flowers get good and lit up?

Oh I'm going to have to get a second light i think. These plants are outgrowing the area already. When they stretch I am going to need another light because they keep getting wider. And taller.
I am at 19/5 now and tomorrow I will be 18/6. Once i am at 18/6 for two days I am dropping right to 12/12.
But, I may need to do some defoliating first. I dont know how long to wait before switching after defoliating. That is my research program today.

defol and thin them out hard now and a little lesser 2wks past flip. your biggest surge comes after you've gone to 12 / 12. if you have trouble now i don't know how you'll control them.

Is it a good idea to get a few of those little 38 dollar lights on a stand to put around the sides of the plant just to make sure those side flowers get good and lit up?

extra light helps but something like that doesn't sound worth the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom