Yellowing leaves

Monkeyslut

420 Member
I have two white widow auto flowering plants going on week four. Growing in coco and using cfl’s. One of the plants look great and the other has started to turn yellow. It started from the bottom up and the inner new leaves are drooping. Both plants get nutes and water at the same time and same amount. Any ideas about why the ones yellowing.

Attachments

• F6FA603A-3CD0-484E-859E-22C147130246.jpeg
    F6FA603A-3CD0-484E-859E-22C147130246.jpeg
    685.3 KB · Views: 151
  • F55475D7-D220-4ED4-958A-722A330DEC43.jpeg
    F55475D7-D220-4ED4-958A-722A330DEC43.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 14F072C3-97CB-4769-BDF9-CB54F9E938BF.jpeg
    14F072C3-97CB-4769-BDF9-CB54F9E938BF.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 137
I have two white widow auto flowering plants going on week four. Growing in coco and using cfl’s. One of the plants look great and the other has started to turn yellow. It started from the bottom up and the inner new leaves are drooping. Both plants get nutes and water at the same time and same amount. Any ideas about why the ones yellowing.
If your giving the correct nutes then it should be soil has too much salt or your soil ph isn’t correct,optimal is 6.5

Hiya buddy. First rule of growing in Coco, don't listen to soil growers lol. No offence lastbud but Coco is hydro, not soil.
Your pH should be going in at 5.7-6 for veg and around 6.2 for bloom. You start to get lockouts at 5.5 and 6.5.
Plants that size should be on quarter strength nutes being fed to run off at least once every day.
Any of that strike you as different to what you're doing monkeyslut?oh and is that a reference to Nathan lol :)

Hiya buddy. First rule of growing in Coco, don't listen to soil growers lol. No offence lastbud but Coco is hydro, not soil.
Your pH should be going in at 5.7-6 for veg and around 6.2 for bloom. You start to get lockouts at 5.5 and 6.5.
Plants that size should be on quarter strength nutes being fed to run off at least once every day.
Any of that strike you as different to what you're doing monkeyslut?oh and is that a reference to Nathan lol :)
Your right didn’t realize it’s coco but the problem should be the ph

I checked the ph and it’s close to 6. I water till run off every day or every other day depending on moisture. I use foxfarm nutes twice a week and checking the ppm at run off and it is near the foxfarm guide.
Should I cut the strength and use more often?
I also sledgehammer every three weeks.
This is my fourth grow and never saw this yellowing before.

Here is a picture of the two plants, one yellowing and one not.

Attachments

• D88A216C-2679-45BA-9B70-0D7DCA7EDABE.jpeg
    D88A216C-2679-45BA-9B70-0D7DCA7EDABE.jpeg
    759.9 KB · Views: 145
I checked the ph and it’s close to 6. I water till run off every day or every other day depending on moisture. I use foxfarm nutes twice a week and checking the ppm at run off and it is near the foxfarm guide.
I forgot yes it is for Nathan. Love British humor.

Here is a picture of the two plants, one yellowing and one not.
I saw the girls have purple branches ,do you have cal mag? Or magnesium sulfate ( epsomsalt)

Yeah mate manufacturers nutes schedules are rarely anywhere near what they should be. They just want you to use more so you buy more. Should only need to go over half strength (800ppm) for really big plants. Ive done a lot of 3-4ouncers on 400ppm from seedling to chop with no deficiences.
Nutes last 4 times longer than the company say they should. Can reuse your run off when your feeding properly too cos it's still just as balanced as when it went in. I know someone will jump on me for saying that but I also grow NFT. Which is a 20L Res that gets recirulated around the roots that grow on a shelf above. Coco is inert, so is my NFT shelf. Nobody in there right mind would change a recirc, dwc or eb and flow Res every day so why would it make any difference using the run off from Coco?
The answer to all things hydro is....
Quarter strength nutes at 5.8ish.

For big plants half strength nutes at 5.8ish.
All there is to it really.
Feed every day to a decent run off and not much can go wrong.
Im about to set up a couple of 12L Coco pots to get drenched with around 60L a day each cos you can't over water Coco. again just think how every other hydro method works. Dwc the roots are in water 24/7 so too much water can't possibly be an issue in any scenario. :)

You start to get lockouts at 5.5 and 6.5.

Wait a sec - when did plants start getting lockout at 6.5pH?

If that was a thing I wouldn't have any plants. My water is RO water at exactly 6.5pH every time all the time. You may have mis-typed?

Or maybe you talking pH of you nutrient mix but that sentence you wrote is wrong. Folks reading that will take that as truth.

Hiya buddy. First rule of growing in Coco, don't listen to soil growers lol.

First rule?? hmm thats interesting. Plants grow different in soil vs Soil-less medium?

To me - it's an AUTO plant with crappy genetics. Some gonna grow OK some not going to grow ok. That yellow one would be in my compost heap pronto. Its a dud. Yellowing usually a sign of water issues. Why I use filtered water.

That and what's in the soil besides Coco? I see more .... just an observation.

How old are these plants OP??

Wait a sec - when did plants start getting lockout at 6.5pH?

If that was a thing I wouldn't have any plants. My water is RO water at exactly 6.5pH every time all the time. You may have mis-typed?

Or maybe you talking pH of you nutrient mix but that sentence you wrote is wrong. Folks reading that will take that as truth.

First rule?? hmm thats interesting. Plants grow different in soil vs Soil-less medium?

To me - it's an AUTO plant with crappy genetics. Some gonna grow OK some not going to grow ok. That yellow one would be in my compost heap pronto. Its a dud. Yellowing usually a sign of water issues. Why I use filtered water.

That and what's in the soil besides Coco? I see more .... just an observation.

How old are these plants OP??
Yes. Coco and soil are completely different . Soil needs a dry period or it'll drown. Give Coco a dry period and salts will build up and burn the plants. Soil works best at somewhere around 6.5 but Coco WILL start to get lock outs at 6.5. needs to be kept 5.7 to 6.3 for best results. Because the pH of the media rises and falls with veg then bloom you go in at the lower end for veg and the higher end for bloom. Or as I've said, you'll get lockouts.
Can't put amendments into Coco iether because the volume of water needed releases too much of whatever you put in it. Can also plug Coco into a recirc reservoir and feed it 24/7. Coco also uses much less nutrients than soil. Best for us to feed at quarter strength, again because of the volume required to stop the pot drying out.
I could go on mate. The 2 media are at absolute polar opposites in every single way. No similarities in how they work whatsoever.
So, just to reiterate, first rule of growing In Coco is still "don't listen to soil growers" if you dont grow in Coco you don't know how it works.
I don't claim to know how to treat soil,need a botany degree with that shit but my Coco/hydro grows go perfectly from start to finish.
Profile pic is what I can do to an auto when I treat it how in telling this guy.
22oz mate. If you can do that to an auto in hydro then you're qualified to correct me on this particular matter as that's what we're dealing with. Otherwise I kindly suggest you stick to helping soil growers cos youre way out of touch with Coco.
Ahhh that feels better. Christ you nearly got me stressed out at 6am bruh, not cool lol.

Coco also uses much less nutrients than soil. Best for us to feed at quarter strength, again because of the volume required to stop the pot drying out.
I could go on mate.
Ahhh that feels better. Christ you nearly got me stressed out at 6am bruh, not cool lol.

I could say the same about soil to you.

I know how plants grow. That doesn't change no mater what the medium grown in.

You're correct I know nothing about feeding plants.

Pretty sure we here to share, there's no need to stress.

That said it seems that all you coco growers seem to get butt hurt the fastest when soil growers make suggestions that are counter to what you know.

I like to read and learn from folks that grow all sorts of different ways.

Not sure about a 22oz auto. Pics or it didn't happen. J/K lol Relax bro. :passitleft:

Best AUTO I ever ran was like 2.2 oz. Was a nice one too.

You taught me something about pH which I NEVER test for. I was under the understanding that
pH 6.5 would be good for soil and that's about as natural as it gets.

Not sure why a plant would like 6.0 pH in a different medium. I would suggest the pH changes some because of plant root exudate into the medium changes the pH up to the 6.5 range where they like it. Plants have an ability to change the pH its how we soil folks get away with not worrying about it.

I would suggest that when they are happy with the medium (plants) they exude a root exudate that tells the microbes "I've had enough" and here's my thanks - root exudate with a much higher pH than 6.5pH. So you start with a pH that is lower and the plant raises it up to her favorite spot and repeat. Maybe the microbes prefer higher pH and that's why all the work for the plant?? Food for thought. I'd be interested in seeing a coco grow that uses microbes and organic nutrients.

In the soiless medium you are providing the exact thing the plant needs in soluble form. The only way for plants grown in soil is to have the micobes break down the soil organic matter into soluble form and along with proper water its into the plants and around we go.

We on the same team. 420%

I only use water start of VEG to chop in flower - water - nothing else same soil for the last 3 years prolly 20+ flower runs (room full).

Cost is eventually gonna be the bain for you guys purchasing nutrients from chemical companies.

There are costs associated with growing your way.

I'm about a month away from being totally self sustainable with solar to power lamps and soil is already made. Water from a well pulled by solar.

Reason I asked you about the pH statement is this. You're likely a great grower and there are folks that know you and listen to what you say. There are people listening to what you have to say.

If I see something that doesn't sound quite right, I'm gonna start a dialog on it. Just how I am. I chap some ass sometimes. :Namaste:

My intention here is to learn and share what I've learned. I'm SURE thats why your here.

I'm into hard to grow select genetics, lately from the West Coast USA. It's where all the latest goodies are coming from. Blah blah blah

Last plant I harvested, every flower was ripe for an extraction press. The other half of my grow usually is Landrace Sativa that I cross breed with whatever pops up male in the VEG room.

Landrace = 15% thc with 5% terpenes gonna make you high. Make you wanna get up and dance.

Anyway blathering.

We on the same team - I can come off as an asshole. My apologies to you sir.

Peace and Love

Lets make a party.

Back
Top Bottom