Yet another beginner grower puzzled with seedling watering problems - Please help!

MCAmnesia

Hi,

This is my first grow, and everything seems to be going reasonably well, however my plant's leaves are slightly droopy, and I'm wondering if you guys could advise me if this is normal, or whether I am doing something wrong...

Details:

Strain: Northern Lights Feminised (Sensi) Indica
How Many Plants?: 2
Vegetative (seedling) stage
Germinated about two weeks ago
Indoor, growing in soil (BioBizz All Mix)
Pot is about 3 inches tall by 3 inches in diameter, the plant is about 2 inches tall.
Lights: 6 x 30W cool white (6500K) fluorescent tubes (Actually 24W but overdriven)
The plants are growing in a small cabinet with good ventilation.
The temperatures are a little higher than I'd hoped for, ranging between 23C to 31C
I've been spraying the plants every few hours, and I have a wet towel inside the cabinet to keep the humidity high.
Due to the high temperatures, I've been watering every day (about 50mL each time)

I have read about overwatering problems, so I have been very cautious, and I've been waiting for the soil to become quite dry (and the pot to become noticeably light) before watering.
When I water the plants, I give them enough water such that it drains out of the bottom. Usually about 50mL.

As you can see in the pictures, one plant is smaller than the other, they were both planted at the same time but the small one was only born with one seed leaf, so she has been very slow to catch up, but she seems to be doing okay!
Because this plant is smaller, I've been watering every second day or so.

I haven't given them any nutrients yet.

Also you'll notice that the lower leaves on the large plant are very twisted, and there are brown spots. This problem only seems to have occured with the lower leaves though, the new ones are looking okay. Any ideas why this has happened?

Anyway, the main problem:
As you can see, the leaves on the bigger plant are limp and droopy, the edges are also slightly curled. The leaves don't feel dry or thin, and the plant looks healthy otherwise (no yellowing or burning or anything).
I know that this is a common sign of overwatering, but if anything I thought I was underwatering... However, when I first noticed that the leaves were droopy (and the soil seemed quite dry at this point) I gave the plant some water, and it seemed to get even droopier, it certainly did not get better. So that eliminated the possibility of underwatering.

Usually, when I water it, the soil seems so dry that it has shrunk away from the edges of the pot, is it possible that I could still be overwatering it?
I have also had a fan blowing on the plants from above, just enough to move the leaves gently, could this be a problem?
I measured the soil pH to be around 6.6

20170604_2321581.jpg
20170604_2321381.jpg
20170604_2321151.jpg
20170604_2320591.jpg
20170604_232128.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance my friends

I think they have out grown those pots....big one for sure
I'm not an expert but if it's hot I'm not sure spraying the girls is a good idea

I'd transplant...easy to see if the need water then.

Hi,

This is my first grow, and everything seems to be going reasonably well, however my plant's leaves are slightly droopy, and I'm wondering if you guys could advise me if this is normal, or whether I am doing something wrong...

Details:

Strain: Northern Lights Feminised (Sensi) Indica
How Many Plants?: 2
Vegetative (seedling) stage
Germinated about two weeks ago
Indoor, growing in soil (BioBizz All Mix)
Pot is about 3 inches tall by 3 inches in diameter, the plant is about 2 inches tall.
Lights: 6 x 30W cool white (6500K) fluorescent tubes (Actually 24W but overdriven)
The plants are growing in a small cabinet with good ventilation.
The temperatures are a little higher than I'd hoped for, ranging between 23C to 31C
I've been spraying the plants every few hours, and I have a wet towel inside the cabinet to keep the humidity high.
Due to the high temperatures, I've been watering every day (about 50mL each time)

I have read about overwatering problems, so I have been very cautious, and I've been waiting for the soil to become quite dry (and the pot to become noticeably light) before watering.
When I water the plants, I give them enough water such that it drains out of the bottom. Usually about 50mL.

As you can see in the pictures, one plant is smaller than the other, they were both planted at the same time but the small one was only born with one seed leaf, so she has been very slow to catch up, but she seems to be doing okay!
Because this plant is smaller, I've been watering every second day or so.

I haven't given them any nutrients yet.

Also you'll notice that the lower leaves on the large plant are very twisted, and there are brown spots. This problem only seems to have occured with the lower leaves though, the new ones are looking okay. Any ideas why this has happened?

Anyway, the main problem:
As you can see, the leaves on the bigger plant are limp and droopy, the edges are also slightly curled. The leaves don't feel dry or thin, and the plant looks healthy otherwise (no yellowing or burning or anything).
I know that this is a common sign of overwatering, but if anything I thought I was underwatering... However, when I first noticed that the leaves were droopy (and the soil seemed quite dry at this point) I gave the plant some water, and it seemed to get even droopier, it certainly did not get better. So that eliminated the possibility of underwatering.

Usually, when I water it, the soil seems so dry that it has shrunk away from the edges of the pot, is it possible that I could still be overwatering it?
I have also had a fan blowing on the plants from above, just enough to move the leaves gently, could this be a problem?
I measured the soil pH to be around 6.6

20170604_2321581.jpg
20170604_2321381.jpg
20170604_2321151.jpg
20170604_2320591.jpg
20170604_232128.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance my friends

Looks like they are root bound. The dropping leaves could be roots not getting enough oxygen due to the watering.

I agree with the above. You should transplant to a bigger pot. Lots of perlite too for that extra drainage.

Re: Yet another beginner grower puzzled with seedling watering problems - Please help

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions!
For some reason, I had considered every other factor but totally ignored the pot size :rolleyes3
I have put the bigger plant in a 5L pot now, and by the next day she was already looking a lot better. Here are some pics

Do you think it was overly rootbound in this picture?
Evidently it was a problem, though, as the drooping has greatly improved after repotting.
20170605_113515.jpg

20170607_122930.jpg

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom