Your thoughts are needed

Axplayer

420 Member
I'm planning my second grow and I have to get some supplies so I can do it right this time. Currently, I am using my closet w/ cfls. I didn't have the right nutes at first so I gave it some MG when it was about 6wks. I finally got some nutes so she's been getting her dynagro bloom every other watering. Also mixed in was molasses. It's going into 9 weeks now .... fingers are crossed.

Product questions.
vermiculite- coarse or fine
Perlite - coarse or fine
earthworm castings - does more have to be added over time?
Kelp extract - Is it necessary?
Cal-mag - Is one better than the next?

Grow area questions.
Walls are covered with mylar. I am now considering taking it off since the the walls are painted white. How white it actually is hard to tell with the naked eye. I did read somewhere white paint reflects more light than mylar.
Thoughts?

I'm using a 2.5 gal pot for the current grow. Should I get a 3 gal? Will .5 gal increase make a difference?

I just want my second attempt to turn out better than my first....but the ducks need to be in order first. Any input would be appreciated.

I'm planning my second grow and I have to get some supplies so I can do it right this time. Currently, I am using my closet w/ cfls. I didn't have the right nutes at first so I gave it some MG when it was about 6wks. I finally got some nutes so she's been getting her dynagro bloom every other watering. Also mixed in was molasses. It's going into 9 weeks now .... fingers are crossed.

Product questions.
vermiculite- coarse or fine
Perlite - coarse or fine
earthworm castings - does more have to be added over time?
Kelp extract - Is it necessary?
Cal-mag - Is one better than the next?

Grow area questions.
Walls are covered with mylar. I am now considering taking it off since the the walls are painted white. How white it actually is hard to tell with the naked eye. I did read somewhere white paint reflects more light than mylar.
Thoughts?

I'm using a 2.5 gal pot for the current grow. Should I get a 3 gal? Will .5 gal increase make a difference?

I just want my second attempt to turn out better than my first....but the ducks need to be in order first. Any input would be appreciated.
It sounds like you are throwing a lot of stuff at your plants, and with minimal lights and air movement in a closet, you probably dont need everything you are adding. If it is working for you though, all the more power to you... it is just that in a lot of cases, less ends up being more.
As far as perlite goes, I use the fine stuff, the course is more for SWICKing and that sort of application.
Vermiculite has great applications in soilless grows, but I think it can actually harm a soil grow in that the water table doesn't move as it should. I will not use vermiculite with soil but if I did, it would be the fine.
Earthworm castings are good stuff, and an compost tea made from them could be used all throughout the grow.
Kelp/seaweed is more for veg than flower from what I can tell and needs to break down before it can benefit the plants.
CalMag Plus is the one I like, and I think it is superior to a lot of the others, just because it includes Iron and a lot of other trace minerals.

Since I can not see my face in a white painted wall, but can in mylar, it is clear that mylar is more reflective. White walls work fine though, and probably easier to clean.

The difference between a 2.5gal and a 3 gal is indeed minimal, but it will make a small difference. If you could go to 5gal you would see a significant difference.

Looking at all the additives you are throwing at your grow, in addition to your nutes, you should consider going full organic. Then you could enjoy creating compost teas with a lot of this good stuff in it, and get away from the commercial nutes that are essentially killing any benefit you get from molasses. Molasses does not directly feed the plants, it is to feed the microlife that feeds the plants. You didn't mention what growing medium you are using however, and maybe you are not even a candidate for going full organic at this point. If you are throwing all this molasses and kelp and stuff at a soilless mix, you are mostly wasting your efforts... the plants can not break a lot of this stuff down without a microherd.

Check out this little video on white vs mylar. The music sucks but the science doesn't.

Check out this little video on white vs mylar. The music sucks but the science doesn't.

Hey thanks! I think I'll do without the mylar and try the bare white walls for the next grow. Thought about mirrors but they are too heavy and the glass retains too much heat, even off cfls.

If it doesn't work....I'll just try something else. I figure I won't sink too deep as long as I stay in the sea of 420. Life preservers....I hope there's a lot of them here. Maybe even a whole life boat!

Since I can not see my face in a white painted wall, but can in mylar, it is clear that mylar is more reflective. White walls work fine though, and probably easier to clean.

mylar would be worse,, as it can cause heat spots,, or equivilent to sunspots,, un even relection...

Back
Top Bottom